Talk

Advanced search

Forced to tip in (not so fancy) restaurant... card payment...

(163 Posts)
Forforkssake1 Wed 07-Nov-18 23:46:10

Aibu to think it's so awkward when you pay a bill and the waitress stands there and hands you a card machine which asks if you'd like to leave a tip? The service was ok, the food was ok, but the glasses were dirty, and one of the meals came much later then the others and one of the sauces had congealed goop on it... because I have no backbone didn't want to make a scene I don't complain, and tipped 10%. Because I felt PRESSURED in to it. When did tipping become such a regular thing in the UK?

Aibu to think the should just up the cost of meals so you don't have to tip?!

Blanchedupetitpois Wed 07-Nov-18 23:49:31

I have never not known tipping to be a thing. It’s been expected in the U.K. for decades. There is nothing new about it!

MrsStrowman Wed 07-Nov-18 23:52:28

Even if I'm going to tip I don't do it on the card machine, the companies often take a percentage, so just say no. If you're going to tip leave it in cash before you go

Fluffyears Wed 07-Nov-18 23:53:22

I just press the button for no. It’s not compulsory.

Forforkssake1 Wed 07-Nov-18 23:53:29

I did wonder what percentage waiting staff get?

TeddyIsaHe Wed 07-Nov-18 23:54:12

Never tip on a card machine as 9/10 times it doesn’t go to your server, it goes straight to the restaurant. I always just say I’ll leave it in cash and then judge whether service deemed it necessary or not.

janisposh Wed 07-Nov-18 23:54:27

Oh god no. Just press no. Very common. Waitress will be very used to it.

LockedOutOfMN Wed 07-Nov-18 23:56:38

I press no and leave cash. I feel like it's more likely to go to the server, or more of it will, and also I can choose the amount.

Vitalogy Wed 07-Nov-18 23:57:33

Yes, had this the first time the other week. Made me wonder if the waiting staff actually get the tip money?

Cash on table if service is good and you want to leave any I say.

wheelygo Thu 08-Nov-18 00:04:55

I’m a waitress in a restaurant and honestly don’t mind not being left a tip, and definitely wouldn’t expect it. We receive 100% of all tips whether left in cash or via card, and appreciate everything, especially when we feels we’ve really gone above what is expected.

I will say that since I started in hospitality I either tip a minimum of 10%, leave change without referencing it, or don't tip at all. Having to express gushing thanks for a 50p left on a bill that costs £150+ is quite demeaning and in those situations I’d rather they left nothing.

ShakeMe Thu 08-Nov-18 00:09:52

I'm a waitress too and would never ask someone if they would like to leave a tip, the card machine however asks you to confirm amount then press yes or no to leave tip before you can put your pin and I cringe every time when I have to talk people through it and always say just click no to clear it...if they are that happy they will leave cash and if they aren't then I'm still getting paid 🤷‍♀️ it's a bonus and shouldn't be expected so don't feel like you HAVE to.

wheelygo Thu 08-Nov-18 00:13:02

Also, if you really do not feel the service is up to scratch, do not leave a tip. If you do feel the service is up to scratch and cannot afford to tip/don’t want to, a good review online mentioning your server by name (where possible) is always very appreciated.

We work and get paid a wage, tips are just a bonus so we don’t feel entitled to them.

helacells Thu 08-Nov-18 00:26:48

Always tip but in cash

Shezza71 Thu 08-Nov-18 00:37:18

If it's optional on a card machine I press no, but recently in a restaurant the bill came and 10% had already been added to the bill. Has anyone ever asked for that to be removed?

GabsAlot Thu 08-Nov-18 00:46:30

noones forced to and where do u want the server to stand in the toilet just press no

Jenny17 Thu 08-Nov-18 00:51:16

Not sure why anyone would feel pressure to leave a tip. It's your money and your choice.

What is an example of over and beyond with service?

Dontaskmeihaventaclue Thu 08-Nov-18 05:17:22

I went on a work Christmas meal to a restaurant that wouldn't let you buy your drinks at the bar, they had to be added to the bill. When the bill came they had added on the tip to it. We asked them to remove it. No way were we giving a tip on the drink prices as well as the food.

Alfie190 Thu 08-Nov-18 05:25:12

Tipping at restaurants has always been customary in the UK, it hasn't just become a thing. In my fifth decade now and it was always done. However if you get bad service then you won't be forder to tip, I wouldn't blame the server for problems in the kitchen or elsewhere though.

Eilaianne Thu 08-Nov-18 05:33:30

Op, if it helps in that aekward moment,, havetock line like "I don't tip on a card"
(Which in my case is totally true, I want to be more certain staff get it IF I then choose to leave one of the service has been good)

Practice it to make yourself feel more comfortable in private.

My backbone for tipping appeared last year after a truly crap service experience at a restaurant where basic stuff wasn't sorted easily - they then had the fall to add 10% "service" to the bill for a table of two AND ask me if I wanted to tip on the card.. at which point I checked the amount and spotted the cheek, and asked for the service charge to be removed pronto. I'm normally a "say nothing but don't tip" wimp on the rare occasion I have bad service but this place really set the bar for crap. It closed within the same year anyway.

user1471426142 Thu 08-Nov-18 05:56:26

I am a bit uncomfortable with tips now. With minimum wage why do restaurant servers get it while shop workers, care assistants etc don’t? The latter are the group that are arguably most deserving. I could understand it in the past when wages were nothing and the bulk of income was made up in tips but now I never know what to do. When I was a student I worked far harder in my retail jobs than my hospitality ones. It always gives me a bit of a moral dilemma as I often still tip because it’s a social norm.

Santaclarita Thu 08-Nov-18 06:06:43

I only tip if the server is good. They can't help it if the food is crap but they can change their attitude. Crap server, no tip.

OliviaStabler Thu 08-Nov-18 06:07:57

If it's optional on a card machine I press no, but recently in a restaurant the bill came and 10% had already been added to the bill. Has anyone ever asked for that to be removed?

I check the menu first. That usually says whether a tip is automatically added or not. Some restaurants will not add tip for smaller tables but will for large groups so they don't leave the waiter / waitress 50p tip on a bill of £500.

Only twice have I not paid automatic tip and both times the service was atrocious.

PineappleTart Thu 08-Nov-18 06:23:59

I only tip when the service warrants it. We have minimum wage so a tip is a bonus, if the service isn't good then I don't see why I should pay extra for it

Maidsrus Thu 08-Nov-18 06:25:24

If I’m on my own I tip 10% cash and I get quite embarassed when I go out with groups of friends who can often be really stingy about tips!

MakeAHouseAHome Thu 08-Nov-18 06:30:07

I refuse to tip. I find it easy enough to get out of when all you have to do is press no on the machine but it is awkward when you have to specifically ask for the service charge to be removed. Pisses me right off that they add it automatically.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: