Talk

Advanced search

To tell you my mashed potato cheat?

(274 Posts)
SpaceCannotBeLeftBlank Fri 02-Nov-18 23:12:18

I’m sure I’m not the only person to have figured this out, but before I started doing it, I’d never seen or heard of it. So, herewith my cheater’s guide to faff-free mashed potato:

Put potatoes in microwave until they’re done all the way through.

Cut in half.

Scoop potato out of skin straight onto plate.

Add butter and smush with fork. Add grated cheese to taste.

Enjoy mashed potato with no peeling, chopping, boiling or washing up afterwards.

<waits for everyone to tell me Nigella wrote a book about this ten years ago and I never got the memo>

SuburbanRhonda Fri 02-Nov-18 23:14:50

Don’t you have to keep checking whether they’re done though?

The beauty of boiling them in the pan is you turn it on, walk away then come back ten minutes later and they’re done.

PickAChew Fri 02-Nov-18 23:16:05

Mine is frozen mash. Much less labour intensive.

MsJolly Fri 02-Nov-18 23:16:08

Isn’t that a quick jacket potato?

JellieEllie Fri 02-Nov-18 23:17:11

@SuburbanRhonda what potatoes do you use to get nice lump free mash after only 10 mins of boiling?! Please do share as I would love to know how to cut 15-20 minutes off cooking time.

AlpacaPicnic Fri 02-Nov-18 23:17:54

My mashed potato cheat is buying Idahoan instamash, it's really good! Takes one minute, is nicer than any mashed potato I've made myself and is perfect for those last minute hunger cravings for sausage dinners!

BackInRed Fri 02-Nov-18 23:18:24

I was always told it's better to cook them with salt. They're really good with cream cheese in them too.

MasterSensei Fri 02-Nov-18 23:19:05

That actually sounds like quite a bit more work...
I don't understand why people even bother to peel? The skin is good for you we always mash with skin on.

MissingSummer Fri 02-Nov-18 23:19:11

I have a bit of a reputation for making the world's worst mashed potato (my mother even bought me a ricer it was so bad shock ).

So I now have the best solution.... packet mash. <no shame>

SpaceCannotBeLeftBlank Fri 02-Nov-18 23:19:15

No you get rid of the jacket and only use the fluffy inside.

Ten mins in the microwave for a medium sized one, 12-15 for a massive one. Job's a good’un.

Dodie66 Fri 02-Nov-18 23:20:26

Cut them in small chunks JellieEllie they cook a lot quicker

ICantFightThisFeelingAnyLonger Fri 02-Nov-18 23:22:45

Sainsburys frozen mash = life changer!

SpaceCannotBeLeftBlank Fri 02-Nov-18 23:23:27

You don’t have to cut them into chunks st all now that you all know my genius technique.

Seriously, I thought you’d all be a bit more impressed to be honest. This is a game-changer in my sexy, exciting world.

AnnieOH1 Fri 02-Nov-18 23:24:22

Idaho mash - ooo especially the garlic and maybe the bacon one too, oh and cheese... Lush and never ever looked back since!

BentNeckLady Fri 02-Nov-18 23:25:03

Mashed potatoes and baked potatoes taste completely different confused

I buy frozen mash. I’m generally not one for convenience food but frozen mash is the dogs bollocks!

ThatssomebadhatHarry Fri 02-Nov-18 23:25:55

I never peel them just chop, boil and mash. Had them like that in a posh restaurant once and hooked. Also use salt and mayo rather than butter.

InspectorIkmen Fri 02-Nov-18 23:26:12

Alpaca - that Idahoan is good stuff isn’t it. Amazingly good. Did you know it’s on special at Asda at the moment?

Aventurine Fri 02-Nov-18 23:26:22

That's a good one thanks. I'll try that. I already know they take 8 mins in my microwave so i wouldn't need to keep checking and i normally peel and boil for 20 mins before mashing so it'll be easier and quicker. Thanks

PippaRabbit Fri 02-Nov-18 23:28:01

I got banned from Netmums over baked potatoes. I dared suggest the frozen ones were ace for lunch at work.. Anyway, OP mashed potato needs to be made from peeled potatoes that are boiled. Otherwise they're just not ,ashedmpktato.

MyDcAreMarvel Fri 02-Nov-18 23:29:20

Use a ricer it’s even easier.

bexcee Fri 02-Nov-18 23:29:50

My top tip is to use an electric hand whisk instead of mashing your boiled potatoes - lovely creamy mash and not a lump in sight 

DaysOfCurlySpencer Fri 02-Nov-18 23:30:20

I cut them into small bits and microwave in water, strain and mash.

Have tried the whole potato microwaving, but removing the skin from a hot spud isn't fun and it does seem to taste like a baked potato even when it is mashed.

SpaceCannotBeLeftBlank Fri 02-Nov-18 23:31:34

Anyway, OP mashed potato needs to be made from peeled potatoes that are boiled. Otherwise they're just not ,ashedmpktato

Nonsense nonsense nonsense. If it’s potato and it’s mashed, then it’s mashed potato.

I can see why they banned you.

PippaRabbit Fri 02-Nov-18 23:32:16

Mashed potato stupid nails!

GabsAlot Fri 02-Nov-18 23:33:27

is idahoan mash not like smash?

Lucylugs Fri 02-Nov-18 23:33:32

If potatoes are over cooked and nash is too soggy the trick is to add powdered milk to make them really fluffy again.

Aventurine Fri 02-Nov-18 23:34:16

Yes Idahoan is powdered

ilovesooty Fri 02-Nov-18 23:35:53

Idahoan mash is great. I get it on Amazon as a regular order.

InspectorIkmen Fri 02-Nov-18 23:37:01

Gabs - it is many many times better than Smash

GabsAlot Fri 02-Nov-18 23:38:58

i'll have to give it a try

i usually just by fresh mash or frozen

hungryhippo90 Fri 02-Nov-18 23:40:42

Please, someone tell me more about frozen mash, doesn’t it cook watery like? Is it good for a shepherds pie?

If not I might’ve used OPs idea but doing a massive family.shepards pie tomorrow. I don’t think messing about with 2kg of tatoes and the micro is a good idea for that one!

seventhgonickname Fri 02-Nov-18 23:42:36

Another non peeler here.
If you put enough potatoes 8n the microwave for a family then it takes longer than 10 mins,then the facebook of emptying the potato skins,then mashing.
It would be quicker to boil andd mash surely?

selepele Fri 02-Nov-18 23:43:09

never knew this thank you op

thighofrelief Fri 02-Nov-18 23:45:23

Frozen mash is awesome, it's frozen in dollops which you chuck on a plate, microwave et voila! Lovely mash.

IStandWithPosie Fri 02-Nov-18 23:45:37

I just buy the ready made mash from Lidl. Yum.

AlpacaPicnic Fri 02-Nov-18 23:47:42

Ooh, trip to Asda to stock up on idahoan for me!
It's so, so, so much nicer than Smash. I think because it's powered not as little pellets as I remember Smash used to be. So it reconstitutes very smoothly. I generally bung a knob of butter in too but it doesn't need any milk, just boiling water.

CrazySheepLady Fri 02-Nov-18 23:48:17

I use Idahoan packet mash. Takes 1 minute and I can't tell the difference from the real deal. Comes in a few different flavours, too.

For lump-free proper mash, I use a potato ricer rather than a masher. Never would have thought of cooking the tatties in a microwave, mind.

Bunchofdaffodils Fri 02-Nov-18 23:48:30

Mmm, yes another one here for Idaho mash!

SecretWitch Fri 02-Nov-18 23:49:11

Hungry now. Nothing like a plate of mash with a huge pat of dripping butter.

Beeziekn33ze Fri 02-Nov-18 23:50:39

Nigella did put in a book years ago that she made mash for her (then small) children by scooping out baked potatoes and mashing with butter. Very fluffy!

SundayGirls Fri 02-Nov-18 23:51:21

Mine is ready-mash. smile

SundayGirls Fri 02-Nov-18 23:52:56

Posters talking about powdered or frozen mash - why don't you use ready (microwaveable) mash instead?

lalalalyra Sat 03-Nov-18 00:03:07

Frozen mash is my usual go to as well. Much quicker, and just as tasty as ready mash.

If I do make it from scratch then there's no peeling needed. Cut them, boil them and the put them through the ricer - peels them as it makes it into lovely mash.

quince2figs Sat 03-Nov-18 00:03:11

Sorry, also reporting that Nigella recommended this as lazy version, but with oven-baked proper jacket spuds, at same time as roasting a chicken (in her first book...)
I make real mash with a mouli-legumes - even less work than a ricer- in enormous vats, and freeze portions.

foxyliz26 Sat 03-Nov-18 00:04:22

The best mash cheat is to use any instand mash , usually the cheapest , after putting the boiling water in put a huge dollop of a good mayonaise , and large knob of butter and beat with a large spoon until smooth

try it no one will know the difference especially if you chop and fry some onions and put them into the mash

goes back to Uni days when skint , we used to put a tin of cubed Corned beef in and beat that in too …....well pot poodles hadnt been invented then

SilverySurfer Sat 03-Nov-18 00:10:02

I don't understand why it's so difficult to boil potatoes in salted water, drain, add butter and milk and mash. It's not rocket science is it? I don't like microwaved potatoes and as for frozen or instant - boak.

Tartyflette Sat 03-Nov-18 00:16:54

I looked at the packets of Idahoan mash the other day in the supermarket -- but the list of ingredients on the packet was as long as your arm.
And about as appetising. Bit of a turn off.

AjasLipstick Sat 03-Nov-18 00:19:59

This is no use for a family of 4! It's cheat for a one-person, lazy meal.

UrsulaPandress Sat 03-Nov-18 00:20:18

<runs away screaming>

zzzzz Sat 03-Nov-18 00:23:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ohello Sat 03-Nov-18 00:25:56

I never take the skins off, half the nutrition is in the skins! My secret trick is to use a cast iron soup pot (thrift stores are your friend). Cos it handles heat so well. I turn on the stove and poor water in and while that is heating I cut the potatoes. Throw them in the pot and let it come to a roiling boil. Put the lid on tightly (turning the lid while pressing down makes an airtight seal on most pans).

Then I either turn the burner to low or off, and walk away. Done in ten minutes (or so? I come back when I'm ready), with enough potatoes for 4. Then I use one of those Kitchen Aid hand blender things.

A cup of mash is one of the ingredients for a very tasty dairy-free fake cheese sauce which I found a couple weeks ago, so I've been making it frequently.

zzzzz Sat 03-Nov-18 00:33:09

pippa999 Sat 03-Nov-18 00:37:27

Thanks OP. I have to say though, I have been doing this since the 1980s......

NutElla5x Sat 03-Nov-18 00:38:23

I know I'm sad but I actually got a bit excited at the title of this thread haha,but scooping hot potato out of their skins and then mashing individual measly wee amounts is faff-free? Really? Nah much easier just to peel,boil and mash in the normal way.

HoomanMoomin Sat 03-Nov-18 01:19:08

I’m peeling, cutting it to small chunks, boiling, then adding double cream and use hand mixer to mash it up. Very fluffy, no bits.

kateandme Sat 03-Nov-18 01:54:01

mash isn't hard.this is why kids are struggling to cook and do proper food?.its mash potato!
using mash from jacket is best when you scoop it out.mix with bacon,mustard,cheese and leeks or onion then stuff back into the potao skin sprinkle with cheese and grill.
hungryhippo90 ultimate cheat for your pie is cooking the jackets.then takeing out the middle.then stuff the bottom with your mince shephard pie filling.then with your now mashed innards of the potato put it back ontop of the mince and voila a indidual pie for everyone
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1361/shepherds-pie-jackets
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3607/shepherds-pie-potatoes

mikapatika Sat 03-Nov-18 02:02:33

If you use a ricer no need to peel, wash, chop in half, boil, rice add warmed milk and butter, season, done.

One of the telly chefs uses jacket potatoes for mash but cooked in the oven (can’t remember which one! ).

If I had to microwave potatoes for the family it would take twice as long as boiled ones

AjasLipstick Sat 03-Nov-18 02:31:14

Kate it's not "mash potato" it's MASHED potato.

Sorry....bugbear of mine.

Hooveruser Sat 03-Nov-18 06:34:50

If making loads of mashed potato my tip is to put the boiled potatoes in the Kenwood with the silicone edged beater. Add butter, milk etc and potatoes smooth as silk in seconds.

How do people freeze mash? I find the consistency is a bit rubbish after defrosting.

TurkeyBear Sat 03-Nov-18 06:39:06

Microwave steamer. 11 minutes. Boom.

Alfie190 Sat 03-Nov-18 06:40:41

I mash my potatoes with my kitchenaid mixer and the flat beater attachment. Lovely and smooth.

BertrandRussell Sat 03-Nov-18 06:44:19

The Idaho dauphinois is lovely.

My mashed potato tip is to let my dp make them and not ask how much butter he uses.

noenergy Sat 03-Nov-18 06:50:58

I would hate the idea of getting the hot skin off the potato. And it is still a mashed up Jacket potato.

Proper mashed potatoes to me has milk and lots of butter in it.

Doesn't take long to peel a few large potatoes and thinly slice and boil them.

I am partial to a McCain's microwave jacket potato slathered with butter and salt, so unhealthy!!

Must find those mentioned above, ideho??
Never seen them

TatianaLarina Sat 03-Nov-18 07:19:26

If there’s one thing I dislike more than mashed potato it’s microwaved potato.

I don’t how people eat it.

tillytrotter21 Sat 03-Nov-18 07:19:52

Hardly a new idea, been doing it for many years although it gives a different consistency than boiling and they tend to be much sweeter, don't know why.

SuburbanRhonda Sat 03-Nov-18 07:48:49

@JellieEllie

Maris Piper or King Edwards.

MsHopey Sat 03-Nov-18 07:50:47

I do this for sweet potato mash and have done for years.
Steak and sweet potato mash is easier than ever.
I use instant mash for any other mash related cooking.

LongSummerDays Sat 03-Nov-18 07:52:46

Cut your potato really small, it cooks a lot quicker. Big chunk of butter and black pepper, use a large fork to mash. It's food of the Gods.

shearwater Sat 03-Nov-18 07:53:07

The microwave method is fine if you are doing a small amount. If you are cooking for six it takes longer to do it that way.

I use a potato ricer and lots of salt and butter.

Unicornandbows Sat 03-Nov-18 07:54:12

My mash takes forever and is eaten so quick.

Boil potatoes
Remove skin
Add double cream
A load of butter
Grated cheese galore
Use a hand blender

And voilà

ivykaty44 Sat 03-Nov-18 07:54:26

I don’t peel potatoes to make mash, all the goodness is in the skin.

Chop potatoes, add to boiling eater, pop lid half on and cook for twenty minutes- strain& put lid on to keep steam in pan. Add oil if putting mash with any type of sauce and butter and milk otherwise. Mash like keeping out of hell and then serve

Branleuse Sat 03-Nov-18 07:57:31

Microwave jacket mash does not taste the same as boiled potato mash. I do it oike this sometimes though as its less washing up

callymarch Sat 03-Nov-18 07:57:56

I used to microwave whole potato (microwave has a handy pop the weight of potato in and it worked out the time), cut in half then pop in a potato ricer. Now i dont even have time for that i use frozen mash, can take out exactly the quantity needed, smooth mash every time. fab on shepherds pie.

CwtchesAreTheBest Sat 03-Nov-18 07:58:29

I cook a big batch if potato in my pressure cooker which is much quicker than a pan. We use what we need for the meal and freeze the rest in single portion sizes. I then have my own supply of frozen mash!
I've tried buying frozen but its not as good as mine!!!!!!

zzzzz Sat 03-Nov-18 07:59:47

MrsA2015 Sat 03-Nov-18 07:59:53

Mustard powder in REAL mash is so good. runs away to hide from the flame throwers

whiteroseredrose Sat 03-Nov-18 07:59:54

Mash is a team effort in our house. I do the peeling, chopping and boiling. DH then uses brute force to mash. No idea how he gets it so smooth. I've tried copying but mine is still lumpy ☹️.

shearwater Sat 03-Nov-18 08:00:45

I love cooked potato skin, but I really don't want to find it in my mash. Mashed potato isn't a health food, it's supposed to be full of butter.

FekkoThePenguin Sat 03-Nov-18 08:03:42

I do that then I mix the mash with cheese, onion, whatever - shove it back into the skin and cover with cheese then grill..yum.

ivykaty44 Sat 03-Nov-18 08:07:30

Sherwater no point in butter though if you want the mash to soak up the gravy 🤗 that’s usually why I make mash to put with a casserole or beans and it soaks up the sauce

loveshinealight Sat 03-Nov-18 08:11:35

Frozen mash? I'm intrigued!

anniehm Sat 03-Nov-18 08:13:18

Buy it ready made! Microwave potatoes never seem to cook quite properly imho

lynmilne65 Sat 03-Nov-18 08:23:08

Yes been done before but can't remember whom by !

lynmilne65 Sat 03-Nov-18 08:24:29

Not in uk ☹️

lynmilne65 Sat 03-Nov-18 08:25:44

Oh whereabouts in Azda ?

diddl Sat 03-Nov-18 08:31:30

Mine is to leave the husband to it.

PabloTescobar Sat 03-Nov-18 08:34:35

I have three strapping great teenage boys. I don't think I could fit enough potatoes in the microwave to make the vat of mash they will demolish between them! grin

Packet or frozen also works out uneconomical for the same reason.

Ohyesiam Sat 03-Nov-18 08:40:18

I can’t believe people on here are advocating Idaho mash as actual food. I had it served to me once and it tasted like melted plastic and preservatives. YUCK.

borntobequiet Sat 03-Nov-18 08:40:58

Big potatoes, peel, cut into small cubes (1-2 cm) (takes what, 30 sec?), bring to boil, simmer 10 min till soft (is quick because small cubes) mash by whatever method with lots of butter and a little milk, salt and (my preference) ground white pepper.

Cynderella Sat 03-Nov-18 08:41:10

I have a Masha - a stick blender for mashed potatoes. I picked it up from Lakeland's bargain shelf. Even my husband can make lump free mash with it.

Otherwise, the 'secret' is making sure the potatoes are cooked through before mashing. When I was cooking for a 8-9 people, I didn't bother peeling potatoes, but now I do. I only bother when I have time to mash with butter and grated cheese and put under the grill with more grated cheese on top. Lush.

Vampirelestat Sat 03-Nov-18 09:02:12

I steam my spuds,trick I learned here in Ireland so always fluffy spuds and they cook faster 😋.

agirlhasnonameX Sat 03-Nov-18 09:09:09

* Mine is to leave the husband to it.*
Me too, most hassle free way there is

quince2figs Sat 03-Nov-18 09:21:53

Yes, dh making mash is the default here, but I fear he uses equal volumes of potato and butter.....it’s delicious though; sea salt and freshly ground white pepper. It sets rock hard in the fridge, hence my suspicion.
Will be great for when ds reaches teenage years.

BertrandRussell Sat 03-Nov-18 09:34:21

Anchovy mash is delicious.....

HazelBite Sat 03-Nov-18 09:36:50

I like a mixture of sweet potato and ordinary potato in my mash . I cut the ordinary potatoes up very small and sweet much larger, it doesn't take long to cook.
(family of 5, sometimes 6 adults) I would be at that microwave for hours!
I agree with PP's microwave baked potato does not taste "proper'

HauntedPencil Sat 03-Nov-18 09:40:50

What is this Idaho Mash you speak of?

ItWasntMeItWasIm Sat 03-Nov-18 09:46:53

Thank you OP I appreciate your tip even if others don't <<hmm sideways look at previous posters>>

Firstly because I try to avoid peeling potatoes when possible but kids would complain if they had skin in their mash.

Secondly dd is vegetarian and often cooks her own meals. She loves mash but finds peeling potatoes irritates the eczema on her hands.

So, OP, gold star from me 🌟

PS I also discovered recently you can do neeps (swede) in the microwave. So much easier!

Liojhcdst Sat 03-Nov-18 09:48:21

I do this. You can even make them in advance,peel when cool and mash em up when you need them. Also as I like baked potato flavour if I'm cooking in the oven something that takes awhile, like a joint or a chicken il put big whole potatoes in the bottom of the oven and these too will then last in the fridge a few days til you reheat them again in the microwave. Sweet potato too in the microwave as I struggle to peel anything with arthritic pain!

80sMum Sat 03-Nov-18 09:49:43

If there’s one thing I dislike more than mashed potato it’s microwaved potato

I couldn't agree more! Microwaving potato from its raw state produces a texture and taste that is entirely different from that of a potato baked in an oven or boiled in a pan.

NutElla5x Sat 03-Nov-18 09:55:13

I have three strapping great teenage boys. I don't think I could fit enough potatoes in the microwave to make the vat of mash they will demolish between them!

Packet or frozen also works out uneconomical for the same reason.
I hear ya.I'd be slaving over a microwave for bleedin' hours trying to feed my perpetually hungry hollow legged lot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: