Talk

Advanced search

Hermione - Harry Potter - How annoying!

(228 Posts)
Tahani Wed 17-Oct-18 12:25:08

She is just annoying, much more so in the film than the books.

Just watching the Goblet of Fire, and she's 'ooo Victor is so physical... well he isn't loquacious, he likes to watch me study'

she just really grates on me...

waterlego Wed 17-Oct-18 12:26:31

Well, Hermione speaks very highly of you OP!

RavenWings Wed 17-Oct-18 12:27:03

They're all muppets, imo. Harry being the worst offender. Think the world is good but I can't read a book with such an annoying main character.

blackteasplease Wed 17-Oct-18 13:10:30

I think it's telling that people find a female character who speaks her mind and isn't afraid to push herself forward grating.

ShirleyPhallus Wed 17-Oct-18 13:11:40

I think it’s Emma Watson’s wise eyed, extremely earnest performance that makes her annoying

She isn’t really in the books

newdocket Wed 17-Oct-18 13:12:44

I love Hermione. More book Hermione than film Hermione to be fair, where she was (understandably) a much more rounded character. They'd have been absolutely stuffed without her!

SleepingInYourFlowerbed Wed 17-Oct-18 13:12:53

Harry is the most annoying character by far

DiseasesOfTheSheep Wed 17-Oct-18 13:16:03

Harry is epic - he's the most spectacularly unobservant kid in history. Literally anything could have been going on at Hogwarts and he'd just be wandering around going, "I bet Snape has something to do with this"... Doesn't have two brain cells to rub together, but manages to defeat the Dark Lord - a true inspiration for every dimwitted child in the country.

MemoryOfSleep Wed 17-Oct-18 13:16:52

Harry is much more annoying.

Tahani Wed 17-Oct-18 13:21:17

@waterlego
Well, Hermione speaks very highly of you OP!
Lol

@blackteasplease
I think it's telling that people find a female character who speaks her mind and isn't afraid to push herself forward grating.

erm, its got nothing to do with her sex - if Ron was as know it all as her, then i would have titled this "Ron - Harry Potter - How annoying!"
Stop imagining anti woman sentiment, shes annoying, its got nothing at all to do with her being female ffs hmm

MaryShelley1818 Wed 17-Oct-18 13:31:45

I absolutely adore Hermione, I think she’s a fantastic character and role model.

BookMeOnTheSudExpress Wed 17-Oct-18 13:33:17

Both Harry and Hermione have the misfortune to have been played by two of the worst actors in the business.

Nothing to do with EW being female. She was just a "if in doubt shout and OVERACT" child actor, while DR is just dire.

Ginny takes the wooden spoon though. My kettle has more acting skills.

RayRayBidet Wed 17-Oct-18 13:35:07

Can't stand her

WeKnowFrogsGoShaLaLaLaLa Wed 17-Oct-18 13:37:29

Once you've realised how much her eyebrows move you can never unsee it.

NancyDonahue Wed 17-Oct-18 13:38:48

Ron's twin brothers are also diabolical actors. Still love the films though.

SilentIsla Wed 17-Oct-18 13:41:36

Are you adults?

Tahani Wed 17-Oct-18 13:44:10

@SilentIsla who?

yeah - maybe thats it She was just a "if in doubt shout and OVERACT" child actor, while DR is just dire. that kind of stage school actor

Hidingtonothing Wed 17-Oct-18 13:44:14

I love the books and held off watching the films until fairly recently as I was sure they wouldn’t live up. I love the films too as it goes but don’t find Hermione or Harry likeable in the flesh so to speak, neither actor lives up to the way the characters are written in the books for me so no, YANBU OP.

MirriVan Wed 17-Oct-18 13:44:25

What is it you find so annoying about her? From your post it seems that it's because she uses words like 'loquacious'?

Using 'big words' doesn't make someone a 'know it all'.
I'm always startled by people who think that people who talk in a different way (i.e. using their large vocabulary) are doing it to 'show off' or to deliberately try and make other people feel inferior.
I'd say in almost cases they really aren't - they're just talking in their natural way, which has been shaped by the amount of reading they have done and the amount of knowledge they have accumulated.
They aren't trying to appear superior, because they assume that everyone else has a similar vocabulary and knowledge. So, they're actually being the opposite of superior. They are assuming others are the same as them.

Anti-intellectualism speaks volumes about the person who subscribes to it, not the person they are directing the dislike towards. (And yes, there is often an element of sexism floating about, too).

redexpat Wed 17-Oct-18 13:44:27

I think Emma Watson is actually really really good in the last 2 films. I agree with pps for the first 6.

Hermione is great.

SilentIsla Wed 17-Oct-18 13:47:30

These are films of books for children. Why would adults watch them or read the books?

ListenLinda Wed 17-Oct-18 13:49:43

Maybe we read them as children and still enjoy them now? I didn't realise there was an age limit on HP enjoyment!

Frogscotch7 Wed 17-Oct-18 13:50:47

Hermione’s hair in the first film was all kinds of wrong. It looked like someone had taken a crimper to it then not bothered doing anything else. That hair stylist should have been fired with a book on career advice as a leaving gift.

WhentheRabbitsWentWild Wed 17-Oct-18 13:51:18

DiseaseoftheSheep

grin grin

ladydickisathingapparently Wed 17-Oct-18 13:51:53

I’ve watched them with my children. I don’t think that’s a particularly unusual family activity. Personally I’m not a fan of the films, and EW is definitely a bit of an “oh MY!” stage school actress in them, but my youngest ds in particular finds them entertaining.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: