Talk

Advanced search

To think that this isn’t appropriate work wear?

(105 Posts)
Howmanysleepstilchristmas Thu 13-Sep-18 18:49:06

Fishnet stockings, with suspenders showing 3” below the hem of a miniskirt?

TigerDrankAllTheWaterInTheTap Thu 13-Sep-18 18:51:09

I suppose it depends on the place of work, but unless it's a pole dancing club or a brothel, no, I don't think it is suitable.

FrogFairy Thu 13-Sep-18 18:51:36

Depends on the job. Fine for lap dancing or similar job. In an office, not so much.

ConsiderHerWaysAndOthers Thu 13-Sep-18 18:53:36

My friend used to work in an Agent Provactor shop (when they first started, before they were sold) and totally would have worn something like that to work. You really have to tell us what type of workplace this is but I’m going to take a punt and say not suitable attire.

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Thu 13-Sep-18 18:54:03

For clinical staff in a mental health hospital.

YouTheCat Thu 13-Sep-18 18:55:12

Nope. Not appropriate or practical.

Lazypoolday Thu 13-Sep-18 18:55:22

That's beyond weird. I can't imagine anyone thinking that is appropriate work wear tbh

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Thu 13-Sep-18 19:02:49

So... why not?
I spoke to the staff member (I was senior to her) and pointed out it wasn’t professional. She asked why. My answer was that it could be distracting to disinhibited patients, and wasn’t practical as she may inadvertently reveal areas of her anatomy.
Having read other threads here about school uniform I’m wondering if this ties in with the “victim blaming” culture too, or if there are exceptions where it really is inappropriate to wear clothing that highlights sexual attractiveness.

Mabelface Thu 13-Sep-18 19:05:11

You'd not be impressed if a bloke turned up in budgie smugglers and a string vest. It's not professional. Do you have a dress code?

ConsiderHerWaysAndOthers Thu 13-Sep-18 19:07:19

I don’t have experience of a clinical setting but is there not some sort of workplace dress code this goes against?! I also don’t think you’re being a prude or victim blaming to say that visible suspenders aren’t appropriate workwear. Rightly or wrongly there’s a certain way of dressing that is considered professional, turning up in a football kit for instance doesn’t have any sexual connotations but for most workplaces would be equally as inappropriate.

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Thu 13-Sep-18 19:09:13

The only written code is no sportswear, jeans or trainers.

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Thu 13-Sep-18 19:10:16

But you’re right, I’d have definitely spoken to the man too!

TigerDrankAllTheWaterInTheTap Thu 13-Sep-18 19:23:01

It's not a professional way of dressing and the staff member's sex is irrelevant to that.

However, depending on the clients she might come into contact with, she could also be putting herself and other staff and service users at risk, couldn't she? I know this veers close to victim blaming, but if she is working with people with a history of violence and/or sexual offending it's a matter of safeguarding to dress around such people in a way that puts professional boundaries in place. No slogans, no low cut or excessively tight clothing, nothing transparent. I recall from seeing a dress code for people working in a secure unit that there are often also safety concerns around wearing jewellery, scarves, ties, high heels - anything that could be grabbed by a service user or would impede the staff member getting away quickly. But that's probably not applicable to staff working in a different type of mental health service.

AynRandTheObjectivist Thu 13-Sep-18 19:27:43

It's fine if you're working in a lab where a sweet transvestite is making a man with blonde hair and a tan.

MatildaTheCat Thu 13-Sep-18 19:31:02

Your workplace dress code needs updating and she should have been sent home to change IMO. Totally and utterly unprofessional and likely to bring the profession into disrepute.

Jimmers Thu 13-Sep-18 19:31:35

Usually I’d say people can wear what they like & shouldn’t be judged, but even I have limits!
A suspender belt is classed as underwear surely? With the clue being in the name...UNDERwear

mansplain111 Thu 13-Sep-18 19:33:03

ayn wins the Internet for today

Celticlassie Thu 13-Sep-18 19:33:40

It's fine if you're working in a lab where a sweet transvestite is making a man with blonde hair and a tan

grin

Oldraver Thu 13-Sep-18 19:34:32

If they can't see why it is inappropriate are they cut out for the job ?

howardmoonseyebrow Thu 13-Sep-18 19:35:04

What Tigerdrank said. I can’t imagine why this woman thought this was appropriate work wear?!

Bluntness100 Thu 13-Sep-18 19:35:20

Lol, who knew you'd have to redo your policy to state no stocking tops and suspenders on display.

Are you sure she's capable of doing the job? I'd think someone who went into a professional environment like that maybe was in need to some help.

puzzledlady Thu 13-Sep-18 19:35:37

Something similar to this happened in my office recently. A PA to a very senior manager turned up in a barely there dress - she bent to take something from a drawer and I saw her arse, she was using a g-string. I didn’t know where to look 👀 🤦🏻‍♀️

SleepingBooty Thu 13-Sep-18 19:35:38

🤣 Ayn

1CantPickAName Thu 13-Sep-18 19:35:49

Fishnets are not acceptable in a work environment, unless it’s a strip club. If you could see that she was wearing suspenders then her skirt was too short. No victim blaming here, just an attention seeker. She should be assessed for her suitability to work in the environmental

TattyCat Thu 13-Sep-18 19:37:30

Bloody ridiculous and I'd have 'suspended' her!!

Ha, ha, sorry grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: