Talk

Advanced search

Fucking school jumpers

(136 Posts)
Merryoldgoat Wed 12-Sep-18 15:38:39

I know this is boring but it’s driving me insane.

My son has just gone into year 1. All new uniform including 3 branded jumpers.

Everything is properly labelled with his full name.

All three have gone already and he’s instead come back with three other, older, unlabelled jumpers.

He’s only 5, has some SN so finds getting dressed tricky so I know it’s just as likely him picking up the wrong one.

However, wouldn’t you go find the other parent if your child cane back with their jumper so we could swap back?

I have two AIBUs:

AIBU to ask why you don’t label your child’s jumper? It’s piss easy and means you’ve got a chanc to get it back.

AIBU to label every unlabelled jumper that comes back with my son’s name until they’re basically all his? <obviously joking>

MsHomeSlice Wed 12-Sep-18 15:48:16

I never used to buy the logo ones...plain from tesco in the relevant colour. They never get lost.

I think your last plan is the way to go tbh grin

TeenTimesTwo Wed 12-Sep-18 15:48:43

Some people will acquire new jumpers and rename them.

Most people won't notice until they wash them at the end of the week.

(Some people use coloured thread on the back of jumpers to make them noticeable to themselves when another child comes out of school wearing it.)

YeTalkShiteHen Wed 12-Sep-18 15:49:35

I’m with you OP it pisses me right off. I make sure all our bairns’ things are named, but somehow rarely seem to get them back.

Always send back ones which aren’t theirs though!

ImFreeToDoWhatIWant Wed 12-Sep-18 15:51:30

Sharpie on the inside neck collar did the trick for us, never lost one again once we started that. Parents are shifty buggers sometimes even despite sew in labels!

Reaa Wed 12-Sep-18 15:52:17

Name labels can be cut out.

You need a thick black sharpie pen and write directly on the inside neck of jumper.

I never got back my DC brand new school coat, lost on first day of reception class, lesson learnt, sharpie pen was bought along with replacement coat.

Merryoldgoat Wed 12-Sep-18 15:52:19

We have to have the logo ones (urgh).

It’s so easy to label them. I just dont get why you wouldn’t.

Merryoldgoat Wed 12-Sep-18 15:57:07

I have sharpied them! It’s like they don’t notice or care.

I’m seriously considering just loading up at lost property!

RandomMess Wed 12-Sep-18 16:03:17

Embroider his name/initials under the logo?

dramaattheschoolgate Wed 12-Sep-18 16:05:07

the problem you have is that you are assuming people do it by accident.

Unfortunately many people do this on purpose, cut out labels, rename etc etc.

The only way to stop it is as others said, write on the collar (not label) with a sharpie pen, you can't cut it out. For small children write it large.

As others said, you can also put coloured thread on the outside back of the collar, not obvious, but then you can spot the child wearing yours.

If I was still teaching, I would sharpie every child's jumper on day one. But then the parents (the very ones who don't label) would complain.

Mummyrowland Wed 12-Sep-18 16:05:41

My daughters coat went missing checked everywhere and school sent out texts

Teacher checker periodically too and it was labelled on labels and in coat sleeve. Also distinct fastening ripped off on one sleeve

Texts and emails went out as did a description in news letter as was expensive and new

Never found it until nearly 2 years later when wayyyyy too small thrown in lost property in an horrendous state (we had checked lost property for about a year after on routine basis)

I was fuming! All name labels still in there! Had def been worn a lot

Bellyscreen Wed 12-Sep-18 16:09:39

Mine only started this year but it hasn’t occurred to me to check that the stuff she comes back in is hers to be honest. Maybe I’d better start checking!

Merryoldgoat Wed 12-Sep-18 16:10:59

Right. Reading all of this I’m going to crack on and sharpie the collar of all the ones that come back to me. Fuck it.

CatsGalore Wed 12-Sep-18 16:11:08

What about getting their name embroidered on the front of the jumper in school colours?

Merryoldgoat Wed 12-Sep-18 16:12:56

I could embroider them actually...

RandomMess Wed 12-Sep-18 16:15:20

I would as it's a pain to unstitch it wink

strawberrypenguin Wed 12-Sep-18 16:15:41

I sharpied a cross onto the cuff (outside of jumper) on all DS's jumpers last year after they kept 'disappearing'. Didn't have one go missing after that.

dramaattheschoolgate Wed 12-Sep-18 16:19:27

Actually for littlies, I love the idea of neatly sharpieing their name across their cuff.

ConfusedMum82 Wed 12-Sep-18 16:20:20

I've had teachers actually admit that they know asking if uniform or items are named is pointless as it makes no difference, if someone takes it home and their parents can't be arsed to hand it back, unless your DC spots it next PE lesson you're screwed. They're not allowed to request they all show their labels to track an item down.
It's infuriating but I would also suggest unless the school requires logo uniform buy the cheap supermarket ones

arwenearlythereyet Wed 12-Sep-18 16:20:39

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never even crossed my mind that people would nick school uniform on purpose!

Genuinely shock

PaddingtonBearHardStare Wed 12-Sep-18 16:25:48

One of the Mum's from school had her sons brand new jumper go missing last year. She'd checked lost property, had teachers looking etc. I was in classroom for parent activity and gave DS something for his PE bag which stays at school

He was struggling to fasten it so I went over and found the missing jumper inside along with someone else's sandshoe and a girls pair of shorts blush

Merryoldgoat Wed 12-Sep-18 16:26:43

Likewise arewenearlythereyet

Unfortunately we have to have the stupid logo jumpers.

I totally get 5 year olds aren’t going to be great at picking up the right stuff but I always check and if it’s labelled give it back.

I’m going to experiment on writing on the inside of the actual jumper too.

Nellyelora Wed 12-Sep-18 16:29:41

My dd started nursery on Monday. Her book bag (which was in her rucksack) has already vanished hmm.

Her clothes are all labelled, I stitched the tags in using a machine on the smallest stitch with contrasting thread - you'd need the patience of a saint to unpick it so I'm hoping it doesn't go walkies. Also sharpied!

Nellyelora Wed 12-Sep-18 16:30:03

I would also go for your second option!

FanWithoutAGuard Wed 12-Sep-18 16:30:19

Embroidery is lovely - but yes, Sharpie is the way to go.

Fuckoff big letters across the neck, and on the back of the front waistband for me, on everything.

My MIL bought DS his first ever pair of school shoes, they were beautiful - nicked in the first week - frankly, my suspicion there is a parent helper, because how would an infant school child know which were the best pair to steal.

So now the shoes also get the sharpie treatment - including metallic somewhere where it won't wear off on the sole if possible

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: