Talk

Advanced search

Bacterial vaginosis

(23 Posts)
30hours Mon 03-Sep-18 17:25:42

Posting for traffic sorry.

I think I have BV. Gp has sent swabs off but I can’t get the results until Friday. Can anyone tell me their symptoms? I have very very watery discharge and it smells very fishy.

I’m married but scared my (very faithful) husband could have given me something! That he’s not quite so faithful! If it’s not BV I don’t know what it is. Please help.

OP’s posts: |
lennyisnuts Mon 03-Sep-18 17:30:02

BV is caused by an imbalance in the PH and natural flora of he vagina. Often douching or using any soap products (even those claiming to be vagina friendly!) can disrupt the healthy flora and allow room for unfriendly bacteria to develop causing BV. Your period can also do this with the introduction of blood or sanitary products. It is very common.
Often women start washing more because of the smell but actually this causes a cycle so my advice would be warm water only around the external labia once a day. It often clears up on its own but sometimes a short course of antibiotics can do the job quicker.

Abitlost2015 Mon 03-Sep-18 17:30:13

It’s not transmitted by your partner so has no bearing on his faithfulness. You can have BV without having had sex.

lennyisnuts Mon 03-Sep-18 17:31:18

OP I should say that your symptoms are classic BV and do not sound like an STI.
I'm a sexual health nurse.

RoboticSealpup Mon 03-Sep-18 17:36:03

I stopped using shower gel for a while when I had a lot of BV and thrush. I used aqueous cream instead. Not that I used shower gel on my vulva anyway, but the nurse told me that it runs down and can irritate if you're sensitive. Apparently thrush can also smell fishy sometimes - this helps with that too. I also used to eat a lot of sugar (was at university and ate sweets while revising) and that also made the yeast infections 'happy'. Haven't had either of these for years now. There's a gel you can buy for BV - you could buy that and start treating now. I'm sure it won't do you any harm even if it's not BV.

30hours Mon 03-Sep-18 18:03:08

Thank you everyone.
It’s very embarssing. I’ve bought the gel and will start tonight.

It seems to clear up and then get massively worse after DH and i have sex. It’s basically stopped my sex life. I think I’ll have to stop having baths and stick to showers.

I was just so shocked when the doctor suggested testing for STIs

OP’s posts: |
onetimeposter Mon 03-Sep-18 18:05:54

Sperm causes the smell with bv, So perhaps use condoms? Trich also has thin watery discharge but sounds more like bv.

lennyisnuts Mon 03-Sep-18 19:18:47

@30hours
As PP says sperm or any seminal fluid can cause an imbalance in the PH also.
Yes stop taking baths- a huge culprit of BV!
I'm sure it will settle soon.
It's sensible as a routine to test for STI even when the likelihood is low. Most STI are often symptomless so opportunistic screening for them is good practice smile

RoboticSealpup Mon 03-Sep-18 20:52:02

Baths are evil.

RedAntsBiteHard Tue 04-Sep-18 22:07:53

OP do you have a coil fitted by any chance, I had to have mine removed as I was constantly getting BV and I was told it was most likely my body's response to the coil. Once it was removed I've never had a reoccurrence .....

Queenie8 Tue 04-Sep-18 22:15:36

30hours Do you suffer with strep throat at times? Or even once? The two are linked.

So, say you and DH have been kissing and then DH performs oral on you, or you on him, you pass the 'strep' germs to your nether regions.

Strep can lay dormant without any symptoms for years in your throat/mouth. (sadly I'm a sufferer of strep/bv, it's horrendous, you have my sympathy)

LolaLizzy35 Sat 22-Sep-18 00:08:36

@30hours
I have just been diagnosed with this, I totally feel you, my doc has given me antibiotics x

Noodella18 Sat 22-Sep-18 00:23:58

@redants same here re the coil! Had copper coil for 7 years with no probs and then I got bv and couldn’t shift it for months. Had it taken out and cleared up immediately and never come back. Incidentally I had a new coil fitted a few years later and didn’t have any issues.

Noodella18 Sat 22-Sep-18 00:26:39

Btw, it gets worse after sex because sperm is alkaline and your vag likes to be acidic. Condoms might help whilst you knock it on the head, I also tried some fairly dubious home remedies involving tampons and diluted sprit vinegar to make things more acidic after sex.

Melissa567 Mon 14-Jan-19 03:50:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MsHopey Mon 14-Jan-19 05:34:42

I've had it a few times and it is so awful.
People at work were complaining about sitting next to me because of the smell and I was nearly sacked because of it.
It is so humiliating, I washed daily, clean everything on every day, body spray, nothing was enough.
I had a swab, got my treatment and it went away. It's flared up a few times since then but I get the over the counter treatment now I know how to spot the symptoms.
It's always worse after sex and if I've called asleep with sperm still inside IYSWIM.
Ladies, we have it rough.

Tidygirldml Mon 14-Jan-19 06:09:14

Have you had an internal exam in by your doc? I had the worst smell ever once and it was because I'd forgotten to remove a tampon. We'd had sex and everything, hubby hadn't notice and I'd clearly just forgotten to remove last tampon and end of my period.

I was mega embarrassed at the docs when he found it there all squashed and ponging - but he said it happened all the time.

Give antibiotics just in case, tampon removed and job done. Just a thought? Xx

Lilyhatesjaz Mon 14-Jan-19 08:58:16

It's a good idea to use unscented sanitary towels as the scented ones can set it off

WatcherOfTheNight Mon 14-Jan-19 09:45:52

Hi everyone,this is one of many zombie threads bumped by a spammer advertising their "miracle cure" last night so please be aware of that .

Watcher

MermaidUnicorn Mon 14-Jan-19 10:13:12

FYI Boots now sell a test that determines whether it's BV or Thrush. I managed to treat my BV sucessfully with two packs of the insertable gel.

Cath0000 Fri 07-Feb-20 17:44:13

@lennyisnuts Can BV sometimes not come up on swabs? Also can it have other smells outside of smelling like fish? Thank you!

Neverender Fri 07-Feb-20 17:48:50

I had it and it was horrible, I didn't feel right and Erm, my bits felt...heavy?! Does that make any sense? I was about 20 and convinced myself it was something terrible. I'd never even heard of it then!

Mum1009 Sun 17-May-20 19:00:30

Hi, just looking for some advice, I can’t seem to be able to make a new thread.
I’ve had a home testing kit that’s come back as positive for BV. Noticed a strange smell and I’ve had a sharp shooting pain now and then up around my vagina wall? Is this normal when dealing with BV? I’m concerned about the pain more than anything, has anyone else had this pain? Like an electric shock not constant but now and then. I had a smear about 10 months ago and this was clear.
Thanks any advice would be great. I do suffer greatly with health anxiety which doesn’t help as I’m over sensitive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »