Talk

Advanced search

To not buy all new stuff for school each year?

(71 Posts)
WhoWants2Know Thu 30-Aug-18 09:16:17

My kids think I'm being unreasonable. I've replaced some clothes that they've outgrown or worn out last year, but lots of things still fit and are wearable. I got them lunch bags during the summer term last year, so they are nearly new. Their water bottles and book bags from the last year are still fine.

Does everyone really completely replace all their kids school stuff every single year? My kids are determined that all of their mates have completely new stuff and I'm mean.

MonumentVal Fri 31-Aug-18 11:00:43

Ds isn't mucky and hates new clothes, so luckily his larger uniform still fits and I'm trying to get him to try new shoes as his old ones are taped up but he says they still fit and it would be wasteful to get new... At least he is nearly size 5 so should be possible to get adult shoes, as all the child ranges seem to stop at size 3 which is a bugger when size 4 just isn't available...
Dd has summer dresses and at least one set of smart uniform which will be fine for a while. Both kids seem to do all their growing in September each year so I tend to get extra uniform in October.
Slightly sad that the first set of uniform I ever bought will shortly be off to the school store - ds is about to be in Y5...

TheOrigFV45 Fri 31-Aug-18 10:52:47

I need to get some new stuff tomorrow. There's going to be nothing left, isn't there because I should have got it in May.

IncyWincyGrownUp Fri 31-Aug-18 10:48:10

My eldest needs new everything, she’s lost a lot of weight due to walking lots and needs new trousers. Her jumper died the death of a thousand thumb holes, and her shirts were grey. She got new boots too because her feet grew.

The middle child is away to seniors, but a different school so has had to have all new too.

The youngest is recycling trousers and shirts, but needs a new cardigan and shoes.

August is expensive.

TheDarkPassenger Fri 31-Aug-18 10:38:59

I buy all new because by the end of the year they’re all scruffy and they grow like bloody crazy! I keep good stuff for the younger ones but always buy Clark’s or clinkards shoes fitted every year, which skints me but I don’t even have to consider shoes for the full year after I buy them. My eldest will be going to high school next sept and I’ll be buying a huge blazer and if he loses it like he loses school jumpers I might just send him to boarding school grin

5000KallaxHoles Fri 31-Aug-18 10:30:37

Think it varies with how long you can get away with keeping cardigans and jumpers decent depending on what colour uniform you have.

There's a school local to here that have bright yellow sweatshirts and cardigans... they don't last long hiding the marks not surprisingly... ours are red which can be bad enough - navy or bottle green hides a lot more in the way of whiteboard pen marks and other stains that haven't fully washed out.

JynxaSmoochum Fri 31-Aug-18 09:15:13

White polos look tatty by Easter but I hold them out until September because the suncream and dry dusty weather would trash them anyway. I'm nicking an idea I saw on here about reserving a couple for things like school photos.

I can get years out of cardigans and shorts. DS1 got his second size earlier in the summer late in y2. DS2 is still fine in the ones from DS1 starting 3 years ago.

Trousers I update as needed. I keep a spare pair to fit DS1 if he ever needs/ feels inclined to not wear his beloved shorts, they normally go to DS2 new with tags grin

I've done a bulk buy on plain socks as they can dwindle over time.

Shoes tend to need replacing once a year, but I will replace if outgrown during the year.

PE kit tends to last a few years. trainers need to keep up with growth.

Most stuff (M&S or school supplier) seems to last well so really it's concentrating on what's outgrown other than the manky polos!

Reets76 Fri 31-Aug-18 08:52:30

Thanks. I'm quite new to MN 🙈

AdventuresRUs Fri 31-Aug-18 05:27:21

But do post it separately as an AIBU

AdventuresRUs Fri 31-Aug-18 05:26:51

Wow reets not at all unreasonable. Thats really not something I could do either. Im amazed thats her expectation sad

BlueSky198080 Fri 31-Aug-18 01:00:18

I always do, but again this is something that stems from my shit childhood

Same here! Lol
Although this year ds has decided to use last years bag, which is in perfect condition, and PE kit and rugby kit we ought new in June so that’s fine. But all the rest is new, plus he needs a new tie as he’s in the upper senior school now.

Jeanclaudejackety Fri 31-Aug-18 00:44:26

Usually new backpack, shoes and a few new shirts each year. New socks and tights maybe.

Plus some bits of stationary that need replacing, but pencil cases and stuff usually get collected through the year and then cycled through a few times

garethsouthgatesmrs Thu 30-Aug-18 23:10:53

Thank you for this thread - PE shoes (I knew there would be something I would forget)

Reets76 Thu 30-Aug-18 22:47:42

A few months ago my very good friend said she is arranging a weekend away to Center Parcs for her DD's 10 birthday. It's during summer hols and would have set me, DH, and 3 DD around £800 which I can not afford. So she suggested we just visit on the day of the DD's birthday and we can take the kids to the swim Center and continue celebrating at the lodge (All food organised by them) I said that'll be great and we'll definitely be there. I found out a few days before that it would cost £32 each for visitor day passes for the five of us. When you add fuel for the 2 hour journey driving there and back + present, it works out too dear for me. I don't think I've ever spent this much on my own kids birthday and plus my friends financial situation is the polar opposite of mine and they can afford 2-3 holidays a year. I told her I won't be coming because I wasn't expecting to have to pay to enter CP and can't justify that kind of expense. I know she's really disappointed and I do feel awful. So People....AIBU??

AdventuresRUs Thu 30-Aug-18 21:05:38

Wow new blazer ever year!? Round here the year 7s have huge blazers as theyre expected to last!!

Galvantula Thu 30-Aug-18 20:31:30

Definitely just as required.

My oldest just got a new school bag after having the same one for about 3 years. He liked it though, it was a Vans one and apparently indestructible. It was a bit grubby so I put it through the wash and kept it.

DS1 leaves shirts looking like grubby rags so no use even if they did fit. DS2 has his in the bottom of the drawer as spares as they're pristine white.

Both have new trousers because they're taller. But the same jackets I got them before the summer holidays. I've not tried them in last year's winter ones yet...

MadMum101 Thu 30-Aug-18 20:21:31

I like mine to wear all new on the 1st day, just so they look smart. I will usually add back in last year's stuff, the stuff that fits and is stainfree, in the 2nd week. I have bought DS shoes, two pairs trousers, two jumpers, 3 polo's and new PE shorts so far and that's all he needs. I have enough uniform from last year to make another 4 sets of it. His PE top is in good condition and was a bit large last year. He will have the same coat and bag, bought in March, as they are still looking almost new.

He is an anomaly in the family though. We would have been lucky to get to the end of a term with my older 3's stuff, let alone stretch it to another year. They were shoes needed every 6 weeks, ripped trousers, skirts and coats, and stains everywhere kind of kids.

I am still marvelling that he had the same shoes all of last year with not a hint of scuff or hole on them. His feet have finally grown over the summer which was convenient grin.

Thank f**k I only have to deal with one lot of uniform and school bullcrap from this year!

When the older ones were at secondary school, they always started the new year with a new blazer, white shirts and shoes.

Beingginger Thu 30-Aug-18 20:04:27

I’ve had to replace everything this year for all 3 dc.
DD is off to high school and has needed new everything, the school has a new uniform so no second school hand sale for us.
Ds 1&2 their primary school has also changed their uniform. They’ve gone from grey to black and changed from polos to shirts and ties so I’ve had to replace everything.
I’ve spent the best part of £600 kitting them out for school this year.

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 30-Aug-18 19:52:03

Ds1 is going into year 3. He still fits in all his uniform from last year, and it's still in good condition so I haven't replaced. I suspect I'll have to get some new trousers after Christmas though.
He's got a new backpack as from year 3 they aren't limited to book bags and a new pencil case with new stationery.
He also has new shoes, but the previous pair lasted the whole academic year. I've ordered the same shoes and am hoping they also last well!
Ds2 is starting reception and I'm expecting to replace things more often as he's growing so quickly.
A friend of mine replaces her son's white shirts termly as he trashes them very quickly.

WhoWants2Know Thu 30-Aug-18 19:32:58

I suppose in some ways they've become used to new stuff because when they were smaller they had always outgrown all their uniforms and either lost or destroyed lunch and book bags. But for now we've had a brief break in growth spurts (and I had bought everything a bit big last year since the school changed to expensive logo uniforms!)

And they even managed to make it through the whole previous year with one water bottle and one ruck sack each. So they're feeling a little glum going back with only new socks. I just hope all their mates don't show up with a load of smiggle stuff to show them!

TheHonGalahadThreepwood Thu 30-Aug-18 18:06:28

YANBU.

We replace what needs replacing. Anything else on a "wishlist" comes as a birthday present, Christmas present, or out of their money boxes. I suppose we might buy them the odd small thing as a "just because" treat, or replace something if it were clearly too babyish for current purposes (e.g. for a child moving between primary and secondary school and no longer wanting to be seen with their old pink unicorn lunchbox or whatever) but no way would I get into buying new school things as a beginning-of-year expectation if last year's ones are still perfectly good. We also try to avoid buying into trends for this reason - no to expensive Frozen schoolbags and Smiggle pencil cases that promptly go out of fashion and become a social liability after six months (unless they buy them themselves with their own money). We try to find them things they like but that aren't completely trend-led so that they have some longevity.

AbeautifulBeast Thu 30-Aug-18 17:45:50

Yes because to me by the end of the school year it isn't fine, it's tatty!

AdventuresRUs Thu 30-Aug-18 17:32:39

So youd replace something fine with soemthing the same??

I dont get that to be honest!

AbeautifulBeast Thu 30-Aug-18 17:27:42

Mine get new 'everything' for September. I grew up as the child that had to make do and mend (usually meant trousers had holes in the crotch where they had rubbed awayblush) and it is not fun. I was a walking advertisement for bullies!!!
I will do whatever it takes for my children never to dread school because they don't have decent clothes to wear. I know this is my issue but it doesn't change how I feel about it.

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 30-Aug-18 16:08:56

I only ever buy what is needed and judging on previous threads on School uniform a lot less than other parents . I also make use of hand me downs and second hand shop. It just feels wasteful to do anything differently.

Idontbelieveinthemoon Thu 30-Aug-18 15:54:54

DS1 is going into Y8 so needed a few new shirts and trousers as he'd outgrown most of the ones from Y7. New shoes and a new school bag because he's pretty hard on his. I haven't replaced his school coat as he never wears it, telling me nobody does.

DS2 is moving to Junior school so everything has been brand new, but next September if stuff still fits it'll stay in his wardrobe.

Both of their schools have a 'spare uniform' system where you drop off the clean, ironed uniform and they can give it to anyone who can use it or use it for spares when it's needed. It's a great idea because I hate the thought of all that uniform going to waste.

Mine seem to get through a lot of uniform simply because they grow so quickly; both are very tall and skinny, and both go up at least 3 shoe sizes every school year. That's a lot of waste.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »