Talk

Advanced search

To not buy all new stuff for school each year?

(71 Posts)
WhoWants2Know Thu 30-Aug-18 09:16:17

My kids think I'm being unreasonable. I've replaced some clothes that they've outgrown or worn out last year, but lots of things still fit and are wearable. I got them lunch bags during the summer term last year, so they are nearly new. Their water bottles and book bags from the last year are still fine.

Does everyone really completely replace all their kids school stuff every single year? My kids are determined that all of their mates have completely new stuff and I'm mean.

formerbabe Thu 30-Aug-18 09:17:08

I replace what needs replacing....not just for the sake of it. What a waste.

HaveSomeGrace Thu 30-Aug-18 09:21:54

Nope I’m not replacing everything. My best friend gave me a huge bag of her daughters old uniform (just finished year 6) and I’ll use the tops from that and what I’ve already got for my own kids in juniors. I’ve bought new trousers for my infants son and secondary son but not new shoes all round and one boy has a new book bag as he’s starting year 3 in juniors so needs one anyway. His brothers book bag is ok for a bit but I will replace soon enough. If my kids started demanding 100% new stuff they’d be told to sos off in no uncertain terms. But then theyre not that way inclined so it works well with uniform being passed on where possible.

KanielOutis Thu 30-Aug-18 09:28:04

We replace as and when we need to. It's a monumental waste of money to replace for the sake of it every year, and teaches children that their belongings are disposable. Clothes and shoes are saved for younger siblings and replaced when they wear out. Bags, stationary and lunch boxes are replaced when they are worn out. I expect a few years at least out of them.

Claw001 Thu 30-Aug-18 09:31:38

I replace as and when it’s outgrown or worn. This time round Ds will just be getting new school shoes!

Thehop Thu 30-Aug-18 09:33:17

I replace what is outgrown or worn out only!

I buy as we need through the year.

3 of my D.C. are in uniforms and this September they only need shoes each, and 2 need trousers. That’s all I’m buying!

WindsweptNotInteresting Thu 30-Aug-18 09:34:46

I got new polo shirts for both kids as they were looking really tatty (from all the bleaching when ds gets literally every conceivable liquid all over them confused ) and I've got ds 2 new pairs of trousers. But I've also just taken 3 of the pairs that survived from last year down in the leg. And that's it for uniform, apart from shoes which they needed.

DD wanted a new backpack and lunch box and I said no as both of these are fine. I also said no to a new pencil case (as she already has 3647 of them) so no, I don't think you are being unreasonable!

OutPinked Thu 30-Aug-18 09:36:17

I have to replace bookbags and lunch boxes every year. I have absolutely no idea what they do with them but by May time they have holes in and are absolutely filthy. I also always replace shoes. winter coats are kept until they no longer fit, seems logical and I replace uniform when it doesn’t fit. I always get them new socks and tights.

Elementtree Thu 30-Aug-18 09:38:20

No, I only buy what is needed, which this year was just about everything. And I've just realised I forgot p.e. shoes. Bollocks.

LemonysSnicket Thu 30-Aug-18 09:39:40

I definitely got new stationary and a pencil case, and a new bag and shoes every year. Mum wanted to get us excited for school and it worked. DPs parents didn't get him new things though, and he doesn't seem any worse for wear.

LemonysSnicket Thu 30-Aug-18 09:40:36

If they complain, tell them it's better for the environment and saves the turtles

ScattyCharly Thu 30-Aug-18 09:41:49

I replace what needs replacing.

However many of my dd’s friends seem to get a new pencil case almost every week.

Give your dc a talk on the environment!

Somewhereovertherainbow13 Thu 30-Aug-18 09:44:18

Only but what needs replacing although in fairness that always meant mostly new uniform. Previously I was just buying 1 set of uniform but now I have to buy 3 lots so definitely can’t afford to replace that each year

champagnesupernouveaux Thu 30-Aug-18 09:45:33

Nope, oldest child going into year 1 from reception, and there's no way I'm replacing everything just to have new. He has new polo shirts as the last lot went a bit grey, but his jumpers and trousers still fit and haven't got holes in, so he's keeping them. I've bought the next size up to have them ready for him, but his old uniform is perfectly good. One jumper has a tiny felt tip stain, but I'm not too fussed about that.

RB68 Thu 30-Aug-18 09:46:57

I can't afford to replace all new even though my parents did give me some cash towards school uniform (they do for all grandkids I think because they remember the struggle - 6 kids) and they feel that is where their money can have an impact etc. I replace when needed and if its a big ticket item I make sure that I ask regularly if it still fits etc. So shoes are Ok this yr thank god as replaced summer term (I have always traditionally bought them in April rather than Sept not really sure why to be honest. We had to have a new blazer this yr but only two new shirts needed, although I made an oopsie and bought long sleeved when she prefers short so will prob get some more at some point. She has 2 x skirts but asked for trousers for winter so will also get some of those later. All in all the cost has been spread but it is still a chunk of around £100 without any shoes and trainers

Kraggle Thu 30-Aug-18 09:53:25

Dd is keeping her school bag and some summer dresses that still fit. Everything else has been outgrown even though I sized up. Gone too far this year though and her new uniform is a little bit too big for her!

Flamingosnbears Thu 30-Aug-18 09:53:33

I agree what needs to be replaced replace... I'm sure they would prefer somthing other than school stuff.

LEELULUMPKIN Thu 30-Aug-18 09:56:36

Not bought a single new thing this yr. Ds will be returning with the rucksack that he has now had for 7 years. Still in fantastic condition. He does have severe SEN though and goes to a SEN school so I doubt I could get him to change it even if it warranted it.

FrangipaniBlue Thu 30-Aug-18 09:58:40

Nope I only replace what needs replacing.

Trousers - DS outgrew them in April but wore shorts until they broke up so I've bought new ones for going back next week.

Shirts - I bought short sleeve shirts in April that he says he wants to wear still. I'll probably end up buying new long sleeve ones from Christmas.

Jumpers - I bought new but only to take advantage of the bulk school order free delivery. They're too big so he'll be wearing the old ones until they're too small, so probably from around Christmas.

Shoes - nope, nowt wrong with the ones he's worn already.

PE kit - new but only because he's worn the last one for 2 years and it's now too small.

So basically only his trousers and PE kit are new for next week!

Lweji Thu 30-Aug-18 09:59:28

When I sorted through DS's notebooks, most were only less than half filled. I removed the used pages and he will be going back with the old ones.

No, no need to replace anything that isn't necessary. It's a waste of Earth resources.

BiddyPop Thu 30-Aug-18 10:09:29

Did got a school bag yearly up to 2012 as they would falll apart annually. That years version lasted 2 years and was still just usable but she saw a good one on holiday which we bought, and lasted 4 years (previous one was used for other purposes as a backpack until last few months). That 2014 one will still be used as a backpack but won’t hold the weight of secondary books so we have to replace that.

Non uniform school so new clothes bought as needed (growth usually, or knees gone in tracksuits etc) rather than “for school”.

Old pencil cases, colors, rulers, etc generally came back out. She often bought new erasers and character parers at the book fair in summer term )pocket money) and those stayed in the case again. And we only bought new things if needed.

This year, for secondary, there’s a lot new. But we got a 2nd hand skirt and jumper and jacket, she’s reusing her old pencil case and lots of related bits, and her hockey bag as well. She was more excited about the 2nd hand uniform than us.

But on the other hand, uniform list only called for 4 shirts, 1 jumper, 1 sports top, 1 pair sports socks and 4 pairs school socks. But I bought 5 shirts to have 1 clean daily, same for socks, and while we bought 2 sports socks, we will buy more this weekend and at least a 2 nd sports top - as she’s doing sports 9 times a week there (2 double PE, 1 before and 2 after school hockey, 2 after school basketball, 1 after school Zumba session and Saturday matches - all except Zumba compulsory). We already have the hockey top so that is another sports top as well.

We loose so many water bottles on pitches and off boats that they need regular replacing - but not for school. And as she has long been a fan of hot lunches, her food flask has been around for some years and still fine so not replaced.

Dd knows though that if she does want to do all the extracurricular activities she likes and be able to get nice things from time to time when needed, that she can’t go demanding all new things for the start of school when the old things are still fine and nice. But we are happy, within reason, to change. Things during the year if there is a need (even something that’s still ok but well worn and that she’s found a nice replacement that she loves and will use a lot is a good enough need as we can afford that).

BiddyPop Thu 30-Aug-18 10:11:14

And we did have to get shoes as dd didn’t have any - she lived in runners until this week! (And new hockey boots as her feet had grown out of the old ones - we had replaced runners before the summer at a bigger size so they have not been replaced).

Queenofthedrivensnow Thu 30-Aug-18 10:11:24

I replace what needs replacing. The dds start school every year looking smart and presentable that's the requirement as far as I'm concerned

Hullabaloo31 Thu 30-Aug-18 10:16:48

I only replace what needs it. This year mine has needed new socks (worn out) and shoes/pe shoes as outgrown. I turn over the polo shirts as and when through the year so they're fine, and shorts were new at Easter-ish when he went into them as the previous year's were outgrown. I suspect he'll need new trousers as he's shot up, but he won't be into them for weeks anyway so I'll just get them when needed (and all the sizes will be back in stock after the summer hols rush to buy!).

ifiwasabutterfly Thu 30-Aug-18 10:18:54

I definitely replace more in September than any other time of year but that's because I will replace very little after Easter and make it last til the end of the school year.

rainingcatsanddog Thu 30-Aug-18 10:20:05

I replace when needed.

Would you refuse to replace because it wasn't the start of the new school year? My son is particular always seems to need new shoes in May and becomes too tall for his trousers in March. I replace them when they are unsuitable.

Firenight Thu 30-Aug-18 10:21:14

I just replace what needs it. New PE kit for the eldest as his old stuff has been passed down to younger sibling.

Ansumpasty Thu 30-Aug-18 10:22:34

Unform I replace because mine are at the fast growing stage and it’s all worn out and ripped.
I don’t replace school book bags or water bottles!
I also don’t go buying a new coat, just because, like some parents do.

Armi Thu 30-Aug-18 10:25:22

We always get a new pencil case and pencils, myself included. I suffer from September Excitement- I love the ‘new beginning’ feeling and, as a teacher, make the sort of rashly optimistic resolutions lots of people make on 1st January about eating mung beans and going to the gym, but mine are all about marking books on time and being patient with work colleagues.

I only buy what uniform is needed, though, thus freeing up cash for more notebooks and nice marking pens.

Peoplemaynoticeus Thu 30-Aug-18 10:32:22

I always do, but again this is something that stems from my shit childhood

madmomma Thu 30-Aug-18 10:33:19

I agree with lemony - play the environmental/waste card. They learn a lot about the environment at school these days, and it works. Mine have given up their beloved Nutella because of palm oil! Seriously, it's madness to replace stuff that doesn't need replacing, but lots of kids will have brand new everything because of their parents' hangups.

lavendersunflowers Thu 30-Aug-18 10:38:03

We always used to get new pencil cases smile

Coloursthatweremyjoy Thu 30-Aug-18 10:39:17

I only replace things if they are outgrown or worn out. I tend not to replace things in the summer term even if they are quite tatty though as my children seem to shoot up over the holidays.

This year my youngest is going up to secondary and the price of all new uniform/sports stuff and stationary has been eye watering. I can't imagine doing that every year!

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Thu 30-Aug-18 10:41:35

I replace what needs replacing - and as much as possible from the school's second-hand uniform shop, so it's still not "new". All I've bought brand new for this term is new outdoor shoes for DD, new indoor ones for DS, and a couple of new dresses and shorts when M&S had 25% off.

We are reasonably well off, but I hate waste. So far the kids are too young to object, but DD at least is keen on being eco, so would probably accept that as a reason.

Longdistance Thu 30-Aug-18 10:46:10

My dds have got new shirts, dresses, trousers and socks. They didn’t get shoes or cardigans as I bought these in June. They’ll still be using some of their old uniform, as some of it’s still good.

tomhazard Thu 30-Aug-18 10:48:10

I've just replaced uniform as needed. Unfortunately this is pretty much everything except skirts but I wouldn't replace for the sake of it.

Menarefrommarsitwouldseem Thu 30-Aug-18 10:48:12

They've both had new skirts/trousers etc as they're looking a little on the tatty side

I've replaced all of their shirts as they look decidedly grey instead of white.

Youngest needed new PE top and trainers but eldest PE kit is still fine. Likewise with coats. Eldest dc growing has slowed down significantly but the youngest is having constant growth spurts.

Cardigans and blazer no they're using those until they're needed.

Both needed new shoes.

And they've both had a new bag and pencil case.

Still cost me a fortune!

00100001 Thu 30-Aug-18 10:50:03

Outpinked "I also always replace shoes" - but why, if they still fit? Or is it that they just happen not to fit any more?

00100001 Thu 30-Aug-18 10:52:26

These people saying school bags don't last - my DBo (27) still has his from Y7 at secondary - black Nike one! Still going string grin

thatsmycustard Thu 30-Aug-18 10:54:37

I replace any clothes when they’re worn or outgrown, same goes for school uniform including shoes. DD has new shoes in May so we had them fit checked last week, DS needed new but has only just outgrown last years pair. Our school don’t allow pencil cases, I bought new lunch bags this year as the previous ones were four years old and starting to look tatty.

Iseveryusernametaken Thu 30-Aug-18 13:33:03

I had to buy new trousers for DD as last years' were barely biting her ankles. She wore dresses in the summer and appears to have grown at the same rate as our sunflowers since May. I've added to cardigans as some were still okay and again, added to Polo's to remove damaged/stained ones. Her feet appear to grow one full size each year so I replace pumps and trainers in September and school shoes in September and Easter holiday.

ScienceRoar Thu 30-Aug-18 14:35:50

You aren't being unreasonable at all! My kids get only get new kit when they outgrow it (second hand where possible) or if it wears out.
Don't be a sucker to marketing campaigns/peer pressure.

You only have a finite amount of money.
You only have a finite amount of time for going shopping.
We only have one planet.

5000KallaxHoles Thu 30-Aug-18 14:45:04

It's mainly new here, with the decent old stuff being as spares (we leave a lot in school for DD2 as she has accidents a lot) just because they've shot up in height in the time they've been in summer uniform and needed new stuff anyway. Once they're older and it's less of a war of attrition and stain remover on uniform I won't replace as much but right now we're right in the middle of whiteboard pen and poster paint hell and last year's stuff was shot to hell (and the bottom half simply outgrown).

Water bottles and book bags - nope - although our school sell replacement tops for the school water bottles (which is a fucking brilliant idea) so I'll buy new ones of those and keep the bottles going a bit longer. Shoes needed doing anyway as they obligingly timed going up a shoe size for the summer holidays!

There's a child in DD1's class who makes very very unkind remarks if kids clothes are in the least bit stained or tatty and has gone after DD1 in the past for whiteboard pen marks on her cardigan so I probably replace a bit earlier than I'd like to since there's no chance of school reining in this child's comments and we're stuck in the same class for another year and I don't want DD1 to have to feel like that if it's avoidable. Sad but true.

chocolateavocado99 Thu 30-Aug-18 14:49:14

I replace uniforms that are tatty or too small.
We always buy new shoes, backpacks and water bottles but I think that is because as a child, I didn't wear uniforms and back to school shopping was always a lot of fun.
We live overseas and support several local charities. My dcs know how fortunate they are and we do our bit for the environment so I don't feel it is too excessive. They also don't get much throughout the year, unless they desperately need replacing.

EmpressJewel Thu 30-Aug-18 15:34:50

I replace every year, but that's because the uniform generally needs replacing by the end of the school year - it's either becoming too small or is looking tatty.

I'd end up replacing uniform once a year anyway, so I may as well get it once it's in stock and take advantage of offers.

I haven't replaced their jumpers and shoes as we bought them after Easter.

steppemum Thu 30-Aug-18 15:50:00

I do replace as needed, and anythign that still fits/works from last year has to be re-used, I do try and eek things out to the end of term though.
But I find in September that when we try everything on, loads is now too small. It was probably borderline in June/July, and now won't pass!
I find I always have to get shoes.
So I have just bought:-
school shoes x 3
pe trainers x 2
out of school shoes/trainers x 2
new socks x 3 kids
new trousers x 3 kids
new polos x 1kid

These were all bought as last year's are too small. For 2 kids though, their trousers lasted 2 years (secondary)

dd1 needs new blazer and uniform shirts, but she will get them from the second hand shop once school is back. Blazer was needed in May/June, but then weather was warm, so she hasn't worn it at all.

plus new pencil case for one and new pens for both secondary kids.
also got conned into one new rucksack, and a Harry Potter T-shirt while we were out. Not sure how that crept into the trolley!

Idontbelieveinthemoon Thu 30-Aug-18 15:54:54

DS1 is going into Y8 so needed a few new shirts and trousers as he'd outgrown most of the ones from Y7. New shoes and a new school bag because he's pretty hard on his. I haven't replaced his school coat as he never wears it, telling me nobody does.

DS2 is moving to Junior school so everything has been brand new, but next September if stuff still fits it'll stay in his wardrobe.

Both of their schools have a 'spare uniform' system where you drop off the clean, ironed uniform and they can give it to anyone who can use it or use it for spares when it's needed. It's a great idea because I hate the thought of all that uniform going to waste.

Mine seem to get through a lot of uniform simply because they grow so quickly; both are very tall and skinny, and both go up at least 3 shoe sizes every school year. That's a lot of waste.

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 30-Aug-18 16:08:56

I only ever buy what is needed and judging on previous threads on School uniform a lot less than other parents . I also make use of hand me downs and second hand shop. It just feels wasteful to do anything differently.

AbeautifulBeast Thu 30-Aug-18 17:27:42

Mine get new 'everything' for September. I grew up as the child that had to make do and mend (usually meant trousers had holes in the crotch where they had rubbed awayblush) and it is not fun. I was a walking advertisement for bullies!!!
I will do whatever it takes for my children never to dread school because they don't have decent clothes to wear. I know this is my issue but it doesn't change how I feel about it.

AdventuresRUs Thu 30-Aug-18 17:32:39

So youd replace something fine with soemthing the same??

I dont get that to be honest!

AbeautifulBeast Thu 30-Aug-18 17:45:50

Yes because to me by the end of the school year it isn't fine, it's tatty!

TheHonGalahadThreepwood Thu 30-Aug-18 18:06:28

YANBU.

We replace what needs replacing. Anything else on a "wishlist" comes as a birthday present, Christmas present, or out of their money boxes. I suppose we might buy them the odd small thing as a "just because" treat, or replace something if it were clearly too babyish for current purposes (e.g. for a child moving between primary and secondary school and no longer wanting to be seen with their old pink unicorn lunchbox or whatever) but no way would I get into buying new school things as a beginning-of-year expectation if last year's ones are still perfectly good. We also try to avoid buying into trends for this reason - no to expensive Frozen schoolbags and Smiggle pencil cases that promptly go out of fashion and become a social liability after six months (unless they buy them themselves with their own money). We try to find them things they like but that aren't completely trend-led so that they have some longevity.

WhoWants2Know Thu 30-Aug-18 19:32:58

I suppose in some ways they've become used to new stuff because when they were smaller they had always outgrown all their uniforms and either lost or destroyed lunch and book bags. But for now we've had a brief break in growth spurts (and I had bought everything a bit big last year since the school changed to expensive logo uniforms!)

And they even managed to make it through the whole previous year with one water bottle and one ruck sack each. So they're feeling a little glum going back with only new socks. I just hope all their mates don't show up with a load of smiggle stuff to show them!

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 30-Aug-18 19:52:03

Ds1 is going into year 3. He still fits in all his uniform from last year, and it's still in good condition so I haven't replaced. I suspect I'll have to get some new trousers after Christmas though.
He's got a new backpack as from year 3 they aren't limited to book bags and a new pencil case with new stationery.
He also has new shoes, but the previous pair lasted the whole academic year. I've ordered the same shoes and am hoping they also last well!
Ds2 is starting reception and I'm expecting to replace things more often as he's growing so quickly.
A friend of mine replaces her son's white shirts termly as he trashes them very quickly.

Beingginger Thu 30-Aug-18 20:04:27

I’ve had to replace everything this year for all 3 dc.
DD is off to high school and has needed new everything, the school has a new uniform so no second school hand sale for us.
Ds 1&2 their primary school has also changed their uniform. They’ve gone from grey to black and changed from polos to shirts and ties so I’ve had to replace everything.
I’ve spent the best part of £600 kitting them out for school this year.

MadMum101 Thu 30-Aug-18 20:21:31

I like mine to wear all new on the 1st day, just so they look smart. I will usually add back in last year's stuff, the stuff that fits and is stainfree, in the 2nd week. I have bought DS shoes, two pairs trousers, two jumpers, 3 polo's and new PE shorts so far and that's all he needs. I have enough uniform from last year to make another 4 sets of it. His PE top is in good condition and was a bit large last year. He will have the same coat and bag, bought in March, as they are still looking almost new.

He is an anomaly in the family though. We would have been lucky to get to the end of a term with my older 3's stuff, let alone stretch it to another year. They were shoes needed every 6 weeks, ripped trousers, skirts and coats, and stains everywhere kind of kids.

I am still marvelling that he had the same shoes all of last year with not a hint of scuff or hole on them. His feet have finally grown over the summer which was convenient grin.

Thank f**k I only have to deal with one lot of uniform and school bullcrap from this year!

When the older ones were at secondary school, they always started the new year with a new blazer, white shirts and shoes.

Galvantula Thu 30-Aug-18 20:31:30

Definitely just as required.

My oldest just got a new school bag after having the same one for about 3 years. He liked it though, it was a Vans one and apparently indestructible. It was a bit grubby so I put it through the wash and kept it.

DS1 leaves shirts looking like grubby rags so no use even if they did fit. DS2 has his in the bottom of the drawer as spares as they're pristine white.

Both have new trousers because they're taller. But the same jackets I got them before the summer holidays. I've not tried them in last year's winter ones yet...

AdventuresRUs Thu 30-Aug-18 21:05:38

Wow new blazer ever year!? Round here the year 7s have huge blazers as theyre expected to last!!

Reets76 Thu 30-Aug-18 22:47:42

A few months ago my very good friend said she is arranging a weekend away to Center Parcs for her DD's 10 birthday. It's during summer hols and would have set me, DH, and 3 DD around £800 which I can not afford. So she suggested we just visit on the day of the DD's birthday and we can take the kids to the swim Center and continue celebrating at the lodge (All food organised by them) I said that'll be great and we'll definitely be there. I found out a few days before that it would cost £32 each for visitor day passes for the five of us. When you add fuel for the 2 hour journey driving there and back + present, it works out too dear for me. I don't think I've ever spent this much on my own kids birthday and plus my friends financial situation is the polar opposite of mine and they can afford 2-3 holidays a year. I told her I won't be coming because I wasn't expecting to have to pay to enter CP and can't justify that kind of expense. I know she's really disappointed and I do feel awful. So People....AIBU??

garethsouthgatesmrs Thu 30-Aug-18 23:10:53

Thank you for this thread - PE shoes (I knew there would be something I would forget)

Jeanclaudejackety Fri 31-Aug-18 00:44:26

Usually new backpack, shoes and a few new shirts each year. New socks and tights maybe.

Plus some bits of stationary that need replacing, but pencil cases and stuff usually get collected through the year and then cycled through a few times

BlueSky198080 Fri 31-Aug-18 01:00:18

I always do, but again this is something that stems from my shit childhood

Same here! Lol
Although this year ds has decided to use last years bag, which is in perfect condition, and PE kit and rugby kit we ought new in June so that’s fine. But all the rest is new, plus he needs a new tie as he’s in the upper senior school now.

AdventuresRUs Fri 31-Aug-18 05:26:51

Wow reets not at all unreasonable. Thats really not something I could do either. Im amazed thats her expectation sad

AdventuresRUs Fri 31-Aug-18 05:27:21

But do post it separately as an AIBU

Reets76 Fri 31-Aug-18 08:52:30

Thanks. I'm quite new to MN 🙈

JynxaSmoochum Fri 31-Aug-18 09:15:13

White polos look tatty by Easter but I hold them out until September because the suncream and dry dusty weather would trash them anyway. I'm nicking an idea I saw on here about reserving a couple for things like school photos.

I can get years out of cardigans and shorts. DS1 got his second size earlier in the summer late in y2. DS2 is still fine in the ones from DS1 starting 3 years ago.

Trousers I update as needed. I keep a spare pair to fit DS1 if he ever needs/ feels inclined to not wear his beloved shorts, they normally go to DS2 new with tags grin

I've done a bulk buy on plain socks as they can dwindle over time.

Shoes tend to need replacing once a year, but I will replace if outgrown during the year.

PE kit tends to last a few years. Trainers need to keep up with growth.

Most stuff (M&S or school supplier) seems to last well so really it's concentrating on what's outgrown other than the manky polos!

5000KallaxHoles Fri 31-Aug-18 10:30:37

Think it varies with how long you can get away with keeping cardigans and jumpers decent depending on what colour uniform you have.

There's a school local to here that have bright yellow sweatshirts and cardigans... they don't last long hiding the marks not surprisingly... ours are red which can be bad enough - navy or bottle green hides a lot more in the way of whiteboard pen marks and other stains that haven't fully washed out.

TheDarkPassenger Fri 31-Aug-18 10:38:59

I buy all new because by the end of the year they’re all scruffy and they grow like bloody crazy! I keep good stuff for the younger ones but always buy Clark’s or clinkards shoes fitted every year, which skints me but I don’t even have to consider shoes for the full year after I buy them. My eldest will be going to high school next sept and I’ll be buying a huge blazer and if he loses it like he loses school jumpers I might just send him to boarding school grin

IncyWincyGrownUp Fri 31-Aug-18 10:48:10

My eldest needs new everything, she’s lost a lot of weight due to walking lots and needs new trousers. Her jumper died the death of a thousand thumb holes, and her shirts were grey. She got new boots too because her feet grew.

The middle child is away to seniors, but a different school so has had to have all new too.

The youngest is recycling trousers and shirts, but needs a new cardigan and shoes.

August is expensive.

TheOrigFV45 Fri 31-Aug-18 10:52:47

I need to get some new stuff tomorrow. There's going to be nothing left, isn't there because I should have got it in May.

MonumentVal Fri 31-Aug-18 11:00:43

Ds isn't mucky and hates new clothes, so luckily his larger uniform still fits and I'm trying to get him to try new shoes as his old ones are taped up but he says they still fit and it would be wasteful to get new... At least he is nearly size 5 so should be possible to get adult shoes, as all the child ranges seem to stop at size 3 which is a bugger when size 4 just isn't available...
Dd has summer dresses and at least one set of smart uniform which will be fine for a while. Both kids seem to do all their growing in September each year so I tend to get extra uniform in October.
Slightly sad that the first set of uniform I ever bought will shortly be off to the school store - ds is about to be in Y5...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »