Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you drink if you’re teetotal?

(112 Posts)
DanSullivan Tue 28-Aug-18 08:44:51

It seems there are many people on MN who don’t drink alcohol for whatever reason and I would like some ideas for nice, non-alcoholic drinks, please. I usually have lime or black currant cordial with soda water, but I’d like some suggestions for more exciting drinks!
Thank you!

WildFlower2019 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:25:02

Ooh now brain cogs are whirring

Crawstons do some cracking grown up soft drinks. I think they do a sparkling rhubarb and apple in a can...!

Innocent do some too. It's pure juice and sparkling water I think.

WildFlower2019 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:23:01

Ohh and ginger ale!

WildFlower2019 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:22:32

Mostly tea / decaf tea and water on a daily basis.

If I'm going somewhere and tea isn't an option or I want something different, I'll have:

Elderflower

Fresh apple juice

Fresh pineapple juice

Non alcoholic cocktail like a mock mojoto

The very occasional glass of Pepsi at a pub or fast food restaurant.

MorvaanReed Fri 12-Apr-19 22:17:07

Pineapple juice mixed with slimline tonic.

TheSandman Fri 12-Apr-19 22:14:03

On the Wagon for 17 years now and Beck's Blue is the default. (Some places the only option.) Budweiser Prohibition Brew is good. If I'm in a pub - which is very rare for obvious reasons I find I've usually finishedmy small bottle of Beck's long before others have finished their pints. A J2O in a pint glass, topped up with tonic water (no ice) slows me down enough to I keep in synch - has the same weight as a pint and tastes ok.

One thing. Some beers are advertised as being zero percent when their ABV is 0.5% For me even that half a percent is too much. I can taste it. Beck's Blue and others have an ABV of not more than 0.05%. One tenth of the so-called 0% beers. It may be me being over-sensitive - but I really don't want to fall off the wagon - it might be better to play safe and read the small print.

FundayFriday Fri 12-Apr-19 22:06:53

I like soda water, fresh lime with proper ice cubes.

LucyAutumn Fri 12-Apr-19 22:01:55

Elderflower presse smile

contentedsoul Fri 12-Apr-19 21:47:10

Blackcurrant & Soda
This was originally all we would allow our son to drink if we went out for pub grub. At home we never have fizzy drinks.

However I don't touch alcohol and love Blackcurrant & Soda too
Cheap and refreshing

youngestisapsycho Fri 12-Apr-19 15:00:13

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302219453

I found these in Tesco... they also come in apple & passion friuit and apple& raspberry.. really nice, and the best thing... no sweetener!!

BlueMerchant Fri 12-Apr-19 14:22:08

'Breakfast' juice
Robinson's pink grapefruit cordial
Hot chocolate- all different flavours.

SurferRona Fri 12-Apr-19 14:16:59

Mint, syrup, limes and soda (virgin mojito), and have recently discovered an AMAZING non-alcoholic IPA called Ghost Ship by Adnams. SO good!

snarfblatt Fri 12-Apr-19 13:55:34

I don't drink - I mostly have sparkling water and herbal teas but do enjoy a non-alcoholic / low-alcohol beer like Nanny State from time to time. Don't particularly like lager so not a massive fan of Becks Blue etc, but there are lots of non-alc craft beers now. Big Drop do an amazing stout!

Oliversmumsarmy Fri 12-Apr-19 12:30:23

I do have to be careful with cola though as I have been drunk on cola when I have drunk a few glasses before.

Oliversmumsarmy Fri 12-Apr-19 12:28:54

Coffee during the day and water in the evening either on its own, with a splash of apple cider vinegar or juice occasionally,

If I am eating out tap water or just with friends for drinks either coke, lemonade or a J2O

TheViceOfReason Fri 12-Apr-19 12:21:37

Any of the bottlegreen cordials or presses are good.

buttermilkwaffles Fri 12-Apr-19 12:03:46

Not teetotal, but if not drinking, would go for Fever Tree ginger beer (not as sweet as others), elderflower cordial, or some of the alcohol free 'mojitos' are quite refreshing in summer, M&S one is quite good. However in many pubs and bars none of these are an option, so would just drink sparkling mineral water or perhaps Appetiser, in that case. Most of the other options I mentioned are quite high in sugar anyway, so regardless would still end up on the sparkling mineral water at some stage.

Would never buy Fentimans as they support Brexit, yet wanted to move most of their UK manufacturing to an EU country if we had left without a deal! Belvoir I find too sweet and sickly.

Brilliantidiot Fri 12-Apr-19 11:53:02

For alcohol substitute (I do this sometimes to avoid the 'are you on medication, pregnant, recovering?' head tilt questions) Heineken 0% is good, work has it in a keg on the bar so you get a pint and it looks no different. 'No'secco is non alcoholic version of prosecco - I've not tried it but have been told it's good, as well as seedlip non alcoholic gin. Can make most cocktails we do without the alcohol, and I do get asked at times to make one without - you still get the same glass, ice, fruit etc.
I tend to just drink diet coke, or cranberry and orange juice together topped with lemonade, unless the people I'm with are really getting on my nerves about not wanting a drink then I might just have a non alcoholic beer or something to avoid a row.

Al2O3 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:46:49

san pellegrino
aqua libra
orange juice with grated carrot and ginger

wildbhoysmama Fri 12-Apr-19 11:39:04

For those who like a beer substitute Erdinger non alcoholic is the bees' knees. It tastes so similar to the regular beer and amazing as a shandy. Sainsbury's stock them and more and more pubs too. And it's herbal so good for you too!

missmouse101 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:31:35

Orange juice and lemonade (St Clements) is my pub drink! Lovely and refreshing!

happyrain Fri 12-Apr-19 11:28:45

I gave up drinking a few years ago due to some medication I'm on. Most of my favourite drinks have been mentioned already but one good summer tip is that a splash of balsamic vinegar in a glass of lemonade is a surprisingly convincing Pimms substitute if you add in the usual strawberries/mint/cucumber etc!

evilharpy Fri 12-Apr-19 11:22:19

I’m not teetotal but I don’t drink very often. I like water (still or sparkling), fruit juice, smoothies, or diet coke. I was in Wahaca recently and they had lovely mocktails/juice type drinks, there was a coconut and pineapple one that I really liked.

chillychicken Fri 12-Apr-19 11:20:30

Not teetotal but I don't often.

I generally drink
squash
milk
tea
decaf tea
fever tree tonic (in a gin glass with ice & a slice)

When out, I drink tonic water too.

WhyTho Fri 12-Apr-19 11:13:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lyralalala Fri 12-Apr-19 11:06:56

Ginger beer & lime, lemonade & lime, cranberry, lime & soda or cranberry & orange juice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »