Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you drink if you’re teetotal?

(112 Posts)
DanSullivan Tue 28-Aug-18 08:44:51

It seems there are many people on MN who don’t drink alcohol for whatever reason and I would like some ideas for nice, non-alcoholic drinks, please. I usually have lime or black currant cordial with soda water, but I’d like some suggestions for more exciting drinks!
Thank you!

sulflower Tue 28-Aug-18 09:23:47

I drink Fever Tree tonic with ice and a couple of slices of cucumber. I'm not teetotal but I don't drink very often.

I used to drink orange juice but find it stands out a bit and invites lots of nosey questions about why I don't drink!

I have never once been asked why I'm not drinking and don't get why it's such an issue if someone isn't drinking.

larry55 Tue 28-Aug-18 09:31:00

I tend to have Diet Coke when out or low calorie squash at home because as well as being allergic to alcohol I am also diabetic.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Tue 28-Aug-18 09:31:28

I have never once been asked why I'm not drinking and don't get why it's such an issue if someone isn't drinking

People with fucked-up relationships with alcohol feel personally criticised and undermined by someone choosing not to drink because it undermines the lies they tell themselves about everyone drinking heavily. It's bullshit, but it happens.

Highpeak Tue 28-Aug-18 09:37:51

Fentemans posh pops are lovely, that's what I usually chose when out during pregnancy

BlairWaldorfsHeadband Tue 28-Aug-18 09:39:10

I’m boring and have an appleteiser or an orange juice!

Hoppinggreen Tue 28-Aug-18 09:39:51

I’m not completely teetotal but I rarely drink.
Since the Gin craze too off there are lots of lovely tonics available so I usually go for one of those. There are some good recipes around for Gin cocktails so I make myself one of those but mostly leave the Gin out

Highpeak Tue 28-Aug-18 09:41:11

Lots of fancy cordials in the supermarket to mix with fizzy water, Tesco do a lovely morello cherry one. If you can get them, the Mr Fitzpatricks ones are fab with lots of unusual flavours, pricy but delicious. Rhubarb and rosehip is my favourite.

AsleepAllDay Tue 28-Aug-18 09:43:12

Soft drinks, tea, squash, milk, non alcoholic beer/Supermalt, water, fruit juice, coffee, there's a lot of choice!

BiteyShark Tue 28-Aug-18 09:45:27

Loving this thread OP. I am always a bit stumped as to what to drink non alcoholic wise and this has given me some great things to try.

AsleepAllDay Tue 28-Aug-18 09:45:33

M&S do really nice elderflower presses, Normandy apple cider (the non boozy type) and sparkling pear. I would usually get one of those at work dos as the rare non drinker

MotsDHeureGoussesRames Tue 28-Aug-18 09:48:20

Big Tom
Pepsi Max
Nice cordial with fizzy water
Feverfew tonics - clementine one is gorgeous
Herbal teas - I love orange based ones

AsleepAllDay Tue 28-Aug-18 09:48:45

And my list above is what I can drink during the day - I'm not a weirdo who goes to the pub and asks for a glass of milk!

At drinking occasions I usually just have a Diet Coke or Coke, lime & soda or even a juice.

Lots of mixers are yum on their own - I can even stomach tonic water! Ginger ale and similar also good

Sometimes places will have mocktails but they're usually pricy juice and not worth it

MotsDHeureGoussesRames Tue 28-Aug-18 09:48:57

Oops Fever Tree, not Feverfew!

DieAntword Tue 28-Aug-18 09:51:04

Fizzy water. Dr Pepper zero. Coffee. Tea. Tap water. Herbal tea. In that order of preference.

DolorestheNewt Tue 28-Aug-18 09:57:00

I'm in recovery, so I don't ever drink alcohol-free beer or wine etc, as that would be "sniffing the cork" for me.

I mix dry ginger ale with low-sugar cranberry juice, a bit of pink grapefruit squash, a dash of Rose's Lime, and sparkling water, in whatever quantities works for you (but the dry ginger, cranberry and water are the dominant elements, obviously)

I also like simple lemon juice (not a wedge, an actual slug of juice) in still water.

Weak orange squash, if you don't find squash too childish, with an inch or so of cucumber sliced thinly and chucked in to steep, is nice - possible adding also mint? (I'd have to strain it before drinking, can't bear sieving leaves with my teeth)

I've been getting a bit bored lately with ordinary squash, so I've been thinking about making a rhubarb and ginger cordial, but I usually find cordials to be a bit too sugary, so that's a work in progress - I may not be able to hit the right balance!

Theweasleytwins Tue 28-Aug-18 09:57:38

I love water
Also like lime and soda

SureIusedtobetaller Tue 28-Aug-18 10:00:29

Tea, herbal tea, mint tea( use leaves and just steep, is lovely). When out, coke, orange juice, Fanta, am also partial to a virgin mojito.

supercalifragilistic2 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:02:12

Non alcoholic ciders are nice, alternatively mocktails 😬, most places will do them, even If not on the menu.

Alternatively if your avoiding sugar... water hmm

3boysNeedABiggerKitchen Tue 28-Aug-18 10:06:28

Bottle green pomegranate and elderflower with sparking water....delicious and not sickly sweet like most non alcoholic options.

FASH84 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:08:19

We have the whittards flavoured instant teas at home, delicious ice cold maybe with some fresh mint/lemon etc, the berry fruits is nice and the dream time is lovely warm or cold

AuroraFloyd Tue 28-Aug-18 10:08:59

Water, tea, coke or lemonade. Orange juice if I'm feeling flush!

FASH84 Tue 28-Aug-18 10:10:03

Belvoir presses are nice too, not too sweet

Lessstressedhemum Tue 28-Aug-18 10:10:41

I 2nd Mr. Fitzpatrick cordials with fizzy water. I also make my own cordials. At the moment, I have elderflower, strawberry and mint and redcurrant and lavendar. For winter, I will do some spiced elderberry, lemon and ginger and, probably, a blackberry and apple one.

nononsene Tue 28-Aug-18 10:11:24

The seedlip non alcoholic gin is lovely. I also really like crodino or sanbitter (a bit like aperol) but it's not that easy to get in the UK. I end up paying a fortune on amazon.

nononsene Tue 28-Aug-18 10:12:34

I also like qcumber (sparkling cucmber drink), but again not easy to get.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »