Talk

Advanced search

My daughter upgraded to Business Class on a flight! She’s 18!

(215 Posts)
pietersburg Tue 14-Aug-18 09:05:37

DH has chastised her for being a spend thrift, and wasteful. I’m proud of her in a waywink

She is travelling 14 hours with a rich friend who travels Business. She’s only ever been in Economy, extra leg room seats at bestblush I’ve flown Business for work a few times and it was great.

Her friends parents wanted to upgrade but DD said sorry no she couldn’t afford it. So they said ok if you make a contribution they’ll
pay, so they came to the sum of £180.

It’s come out of her savings for her spending money whilst back packing.

Who’s being unreasonable, me or dh? I think it’s OK, as it’s a one off and heavily subsidised.

supadupapupascupa Tue 14-Aug-18 09:06:44

Sounds to me she had little choice tbh

YeTalkShiteHen Tue 14-Aug-18 09:07:22

I think your DH is being unreasonable. Unless he was asked to pay for it it’s none of his business.

NataliaOsipova Tue 14-Aug-18 09:07:23

It’s come out of her savings for her spending money whilst back packing.

That's the answer, surely? She's an adult and has made her own financial choice. Up to her, I say.

Moomicorn Tue 14-Aug-18 09:08:45

Good negotiaton skills

serbska Tue 14-Aug-18 09:09:39

It’s the cheapest upgrade she’ll ever have for the next few years anyway, until she becomes a frequent long haul business flyer :-)

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 14-Aug-18 09:10:02

I think the parents were cheap; they were the ones who wanted to upgrade in the first place. They're rich (according to you) and they charged your daughter a 'drop in the ocean' contribution. I think that was mean of them actually.

Clairetree1 Tue 14-Aug-18 09:10:11

Total waste of money, she will regret it, but then she will learn

ajandjjmum Tue 14-Aug-18 09:10:22

It will make a huge difference for a 14 hour flight - lucky girl!

SunnySkiesSleepsintheMorning Tue 14-Aug-18 09:10:24

She’s got a seat worth a few thousand for an extra £180. Sounds pretty intelligent to me. grin

summerFruitPudding Tue 14-Aug-18 09:10:43

I think the problem is that her friend's parents are subsidising it. This would make me feel uncomfortable.

How long is she backpacking for? Has she budgeted adequately? Is this £200 going to be noticeable?

Business class is great. My children haven't actually flown economy thanks to work / air miles etc. I can see why she'd like to.

I don't think she should but not because it's frivolous.

Frogscotch7 Tue 14-Aug-18 09:11:50

Good on her! Hope she enjoys it.

Shitonthebloodything Tue 14-Aug-18 09:12:13

Good on her, might as well enjoy it if the alternative was to sit in economy whilst her friend was in business.
I think she might regret it when she's low on funds but she'll enjoy it so why not, it's her money.

Cuppaorwine Tue 14-Aug-18 09:12:14

I think the friends parents were mean too. I expect your dd was bounced into it a bit.

None of your dhs business as its her money and she’s an adult

Labradoodliedoodoo Tue 14-Aug-18 09:12:57

Her choice

teaandtoast Tue 14-Aug-18 09:13:06

Good for her!

ShumpaLumpa Tue 14-Aug-18 09:13:32

£180 for something that costs thousands. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Why are you proud, OP? You should be grateful to her friend's parents, surely?

Broken11Girl Tue 14-Aug-18 09:13:58

Good for her. Subsidised upgrade, yay. I'd have loved to start off backpacking rested from a business class flight. I would 'waste' money on the odd treat, it keeps you going - 90% was shitty tiny dirty hot room, eating 10p noodles etc, the other 10 is necessary to not go insane. grin

Ignoramusgiganticus Tue 14-Aug-18 09:16:13

I'm a bit worried that she will be persuaded into spending more than she is comfortable with on the rest of the trip, if the friend she is going with has more money. This could be just the start...

timeisnotaline Tue 14-Aug-18 09:16:25

I don’t get being proud. It’s fine as long as she doesn’t then think it’s a valuable use of her holiday funds in the future because it’s so comfortable. It would be great to do a long flight business class certainly beats 27 hour economy flight solo with a 3 yr old changeling and 6mo waaaahh

Finfintytint Tue 14-Aug-18 09:16:29

She just needs to be careful this doesn’t set the tone for their holiday. My son and his (now ex) girlfriend did the whole backpacking malarkey for a few months. His girlfriend soon tired of the budget they had set themselves for hostels etc and constantly demanded up grades in accommodation, wanted internal flights instead of agreed trains and buses and fancy restaurants. We ended up subbing him an extra two grand just so he could keep up.

pietersburg Tue 14-Aug-18 09:18:16

Proud of her in the sense that she had the gumption to stick up for herself and say no first of all. She’s saying this is her treat for getting into her university course.

I am grateful to the friends parents.

whathappenedtherethen Tue 14-Aug-18 09:19:42

I can see both sides. Wow! Business class at 18, she'll love it and at that price too 👏👏.

Dad might be a little resentful if the money has been given by the parents. He might be feeling that she'll need more money now. Money can be tight. If they've helped her finance her trip he might be a little miffed.

StarfishSandwich Tue 14-Aug-18 09:19:54

Good for her! For a 14 hour flight I would kill to travel business class but my budget would never usually stretch that far!

SadieHH Tue 14-Aug-18 09:19:55

Hmm, sounds a bit unfair from the parents tbh. I get that the paying £180 for something worth thousands thing. But if that's £180 off her back packing budget then it's not a small amount in itself. If they wanted her to travel business with their child they should have paid the whole thing or left her to her own plans.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: