Advanced search

Employer/Friend Issues

(7 Posts)
starstarshine Sat 11-Aug-18 21:06:06

Nc in case of sensitive info.

How can I tell if my employer is paying the proper contributions for my wages?

Started working for a friend of a friend and it's been a bit rocky so I don't want to insult him by asking this directly without knowing what I'm talking about first. Got my first "wages" the other day, no payslip/reference - cash in an envelope.

So is there a way to find out easily?
Should I just call the inland revenue?

I don't want to cause him trouble, but I want my pay to be processed properly.

confusedandemployed Sat 11-Aug-18 21:08:55

Ask him for your payslip. Tell him it's for your own records.

whiskeysourpuss Sat 11-Aug-18 21:12:10

You should be provided with a payslip detailing your gross salary & any deductions - tax, NI & pension contributions.

starstarshine Sat 11-Aug-18 21:23:13

So if I haven't been (and other staff haven't) is that indicative of dodgy tax dealings? I'd rather just get another job and be done with this person if it is.

But yes, the first steps I guess are to ask. I just think I know the answer... better start job hunting

NT53NJT Sat 11-Aug-18 21:25:17

Yeah you should get a payslip either just before or on your payday.

It sounds like you're working "cash in hand"

purplecorkheart Sat 11-Aug-18 23:15:47

Ask them for pay slips, tell them that you need them to apply for a loan/mobile contract etc.

Howhot Sat 11-Aug-18 23:30:57

Ask for a payslip as pp say. It's a very reasonable request and their response will tell you all you need to know

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: