Talk

Advanced search

To think Home made should trump shop bought

(13 Posts)
FairfaxAikman Sat 11-Aug-18 19:09:25

Watching a kids fancy dress contest today and the winners had a professional/cos-play style costumes.
I felt sorry for the kids who had obviously made their own costumes and didn't get a look in.
AIBU to think effort should be taken into account?

TeenTimesTwo Sat 11-Aug-18 19:16:17

YANBU. Or prizes in each category.

Fond memories of being dressed as a traffic light in a brown paper rubbish bag with 3 spots on it in the 1970s. smile

Ivorbig1 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:32:37

Maybe they are good at sewing ???

Ivorbig1 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:33:18

Maybe not prof. My dil is excellent at dressmaking. No training at all.

FairfaxAikman Sat 11-Aug-18 19:34:27

Ivor you can tell Disney store v well-made Home made (I have an excellent Andy Pandy that is very Home made)

EggysMom Sat 11-Aug-18 19:37:28

Maybe categories for adult-made and child-made? smile

sirlee66 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:38:40

I thought this was going to be about food 😩

FlaviaAlbia Sat 11-Aug-18 19:41:54

Ha, I'm still bitter about not winning a prize for my costume in P5 because they thought it was hired. It wasn't, my mum and I had made it together <sulks>

Nomad86 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:56:02

Yanbu. For world book day, we chose a book together, I made an Angelina ballerina costume and DD helped to make the ears. Turned up at preschool and everyone was Elsa or Spiderman. At least there were no prizes.

DerfelCadarn Sat 11-Aug-18 20:05:08

I didn't read the title properly and thought it was going to be about a shop owned by Donald Trump...

NaomiNagata Sat 11-Aug-18 20:20:41

I made my son an optimus prime costume which transformed - if he went on his hands and knees, then it folded with him to look like a truck driving and when he stops up, it moved to turn into optimus prime and looked like he was transforming.

He didn't get the prize because they said it was shop bought. It wasn't - I just worked bloody hard on it! So that rule obviously didn't work out well for us.

SpaceDinosaur Sat 11-Aug-18 20:29:45

I though get this was going to be about food too 😭

FlaviaAlbia Sat 11-Aug-18 20:41:38

NaomiNagata we should start our own competition grin that sounds amazing, your son must have been thrilled with it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: