Talk

Advanced search

misunderstanding

(14 Posts)
roseblossom75 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:49:44

Set off for a little seaside holiday on Monday morning.
Myself and my three children.

I had arranged for a good friend who lives close by on the estate to come up to feed and check on my 3 cats twice a day.
All was going well.
We were communicating via texts while I was away and the cats were fine and happy, fed, water, litter trays etc and a few cuddles included.

Unfortunately my youngest child who is severely disabled and has additional health problems became unwell on the Tuesday and we needed to come home (had booked until the Friday).

I arrived home to the additional stress of a RSPCA card through my door (re cats).
It turned out my neighbour (lady in her 70's and her husband) had reported me (my other neighbour informed me it was them) for "going on holiday and leaving the cats unattended".
Obviously misunderstood and hadn't seen my friend coming to feed them twice a day.

I contacted the RSPCA and explained that they were being fed and cared for by my friend whilst I was away. Gave my friend's details and she happily confirmed this.
The RSPCA were lovely and said "That's absolutely fine. We didn't think there was a problem".

I then put a polite note through said neighbour's door explaining that my friend was feeding the cats and that I would never dream of going away and leaving them unattended (I'm actually quite hurt that they even considered that I would do this as I don't know of any loving pet owner who would and my cats are certainly loved!!).

They are now keeping a low profile.

I can see that they were acting in the best interest of the cats but really wish they had taken a little more time to look into it properly and keep a look out for anyone coming up to see to the cats (I'm amazed she missed seeing my friend letting herself in as this neighbour is usually glued to her window constantly and never misses a thing! She probably knows my daily routine better than I do!!). I can only think she was either on the phone or on the toilet when my friend came up.

It was disappointing enough having to cut our holiday short (obviously my child's health comes first) but that was added stress I really could have done without.
I suffer from severe anxiety, agoraphobia, panic attacks and have been feeling low and tearful.

I just wish people would look into situations properly before making false assumptions.

Strongmummy Sat 11-Aug-18 17:52:14

Sounds like unnecessary stress your neighbour put you through, but try and let it go

NorthernSpirit Sat 11-Aug-18 17:54:33

Couple of busy bodies. Nothing else to do.

nervyuyt Sat 11-Aug-18 17:54:55

This wouldn't bother me.

nervyuyt Sat 11-Aug-18 17:56:17

You say you wish they would look into things, that's exactly what they did. Short of keeping guard of their windows 24/7 they contacted the RSPCA. IMO they acted responsibly. Better to be safe than sorry and all that. It's no reflection on you though, try not to take it personally.

roseblossom75 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:59:55

No it wouldn't bother me under normal circumstances.
I suppose it's just because it happened after a particularly difficult month for the family.

Yes I know they were acting responsibly and it was my fault for not letting them know before I went that someone was feeding them.
If I had done that the problem wouldn't have occurred so I do blame myself.

Sorry10 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:00:10

I’m sure they are so embarrassed that’s why they are keeping a low profile . I can’t believe they contacted rspca so quickly , most people get someone to see to the there cats rather than a cattery it’s what cats prefer . They definitely owe you a apology, if they don’t call round next time you see them make a joke of it say I can’t believe you thought I’d leave my cats alone , just to make a point . You have every right to be annoyed but sounds to me like they may just avoid you for a while cause they did wrong so I’d let it go .

ShumpaLumpa Sat 11-Aug-18 18:00:44

How could they look into it properly?

I don't even know who the neighbourhood cats belong to let alone of their owners are on holiday.

Allthewaves Sat 11-Aug-18 18:01:27

Better she cared even though annoying. Just pop a note through her door next rime and say u r going away and friend is feeding cats

roseblossom75 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:04:30

I should have put a note through explaining that my friend was feeding the cats.
I don't know why this didn't occur to me in hindsight.

Aprilshowersinaugust Sat 11-Aug-18 18:11:33

Next time suggest nn (nebby neighbour) feeds the cats!!

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 11-Aug-18 18:11:51

Don't stress about it. Sounds like your neighbours did it out of concern, not malice.

Just treat them as normal - they misunderstood, you explained, all done now.

If you generally get on with them, consider leaving them your mobile number another time so they can contact you whilst you're away if anything happens at home you need to worry about wink

DNAwrangler Sat 11-Aug-18 18:15:49

If my neighbor went away, if I noticed, I'd think 'wonder who's feeding her cats' not 'she's left the cats to starve'. How odd.

Still, best to let it go.

Urbanbeetler Sat 11-Aug-18 18:18:56

Just thank them for taking such close care on behalf of the cats and reassure them that you’d never leave said cats without food and cuddle visits. They are the ones who would call rspca if you both got kidnapped by bandits or shipwrecked on a desert island. They did what they thought was right - don’t be mad at them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: