Talk

Advanced search

To not go to hospital

(5 Posts)
Numberonecook Sat 11-Aug-18 13:22:41

My mother has asked me to go with her to see my great aunt in hospital. She is dying. I don’t have a particularly good relationship with my mother and hardly know my great aunt at all.

The great aunt is my grandfathers twin sister. My grandfather who brought me up when my mother couldn’t be bothered. She looks just like him and I don’t think I could face it. The last place I saw my grandfather was in the hospital after he died because I got there too late.

My mother was close to great aunt and was a big part in her childhood. I don’t want to let my mother down but I really don’t want to go. She could take my dad or one of my siblings. Aibu to say no? My mother thinks I’m being selfish.

Aprilshowersinaugust Sat 11-Aug-18 13:24:43

Yabu to even consider putting your dm's feelings above your own.
Stay home, have a toast to your lovely dgf instead.

Hazardswan Sat 11-Aug-18 13:25:01

Could you call your dad or siblings and ask them directly to go with her? Might make saying no easier.

imsorryiasked Sat 11-Aug-18 13:28:53

Could you take DM to the hospital but wait outside for her?

GladAllOver Sat 11-Aug-18 13:32:16

Personally I would go with my DM, wait while she sees her, and be there to comfort her when she comes out.

You may be glad of someone's support one day when it's your turn to say goodbye to a loved one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: