Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours voice

(22 Posts)
ididntdoititwasher Sat 11-Aug-18 12:12:55

So we have new neighbours next door, they seem like lovely people..... but the mums voice is so loud! It's a really high pitch whiney tone that just carries. Think the character of friends that dated chandler. No matter where I am in the house or garden if she is outside I can hear it. Ever single word! I was walking down our street (a busy street with a main road) earlier and I could hear her talking to her son in the back garden when I was at least 4 houses away.

Would I be unreasonable to say something ? ( what could I even say?) It's ruining my time in the garden as it's like nails down a Chalk board. Im wishing winter here just so she spends more time inside her house.

Her hubby and children are quiet as a mouse and so softly spoken.

ferrier Sat 11-Aug-18 12:13:54

Janice.

MsOliphant Sat 11-Aug-18 12:14:45

Er, what would you say?

'Can you change the pitch of your voice please?'

MsOliphant Sat 11-Aug-18 12:15:24

I mean I sympathise but really....no you can't say anything.

SheCameFromGreeceSheHadaThirst Sat 11-Aug-18 12:16:12

Er, what would you say?

Well, quite! 'I don't like your voice. Get a new one forthwith'.

Skittlesandbeer Sat 11-Aug-18 12:19:08

There is no way to reasonably tell another person that their voice drives you mental when you hear it emanating from their own home.

You will go down in neighbourhood history as a complete nutter if you raise it.

Your choices are: get used to it (tune it out) or move house. Luck of the draw, I’m afraid.

You could always start a thread asking MNers for their ‘horror neighbours you have had’ stories? That might make you feel better.

MatildaTheCat Sat 11-Aug-18 12:20:38

When you see her ask if she’s managed to find her missing shoe, speak to her mother or whatever banality you have heard most recently. When she looks puzzled you can give a tinkly laugh and say that the walls are so thin/ gardens so close that you can hear every word.

No need to mention it’s only her. If that fails I can only suggest ambient music or earplugs.

DrFoxtrot Sat 11-Aug-18 12:24:21

Love Matilda's suggestion ^

SheCameFromGreeceSheHadaThirst Sat 11-Aug-18 12:29:00

When you see her ask if she’s managed to find her missing shoe, speak to her mother or whatever banality you have heard most recently. When she looks puzzled you can give a tinkly laugh and say that the walls are so thin/ gardens so close that you can hear every word

Yeah, shame her into embarrassed silence in her own home. That's what any reasonable person would do. But be sure to add the passive-aggressive tinkly twat-laugh at the end in case she inadvertently takes it personally.

ididntdoititwasher Sat 11-Aug-18 12:30:52

Thanks. I know there's nothing I can say without coming across as a cheeky fucker but it's ridiculously loud. I don't expect silence and it's normally quite nice to hear families in gardens but I've never known anything like it. Their renting so I'm hoping the house isn't long term.

pigsDOfly Sat 11-Aug-18 12:36:45

If she's talking to her DCs in a nice kind way but it's just her voice that's loud be thankful.

My neighbour has a normal voice, not high pitched or scratchy at all, only trouble is she yells constantly at one of her DCs telling him to 'stop it' or something similar. She isn't a 'lovely person' and her voice sounds like that of a bully.

If it's just normal conversation learn to tune it out.

I know which one I'd rather live next door to.

gillybeanz2 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:45:02

You'll soon get used to it and I'm sure there's something about you she could complain about, unless you are perfect?

Momo27 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:46:29

Hmm tricky. If it genuinely is her normal
Voice and she can’t help if then I guess there’s not a lot you can do other than move house or wait for them to move!

On the other hand you would hope most adults would be aware of others and would tone down a bit if they can. Is she one of those ‘performance’ people who are unable to hold a normal 1:1 conversation without wanting an audience?
Just thinking of a work colleague here, who drives us all mad as every interaction has to be conducted at full volume, ensuring we’re all aware that, yes, she’s in the building, yes she’s having a terribly - - un- - important conversation with someone, yes we’ve all noticed her.... if your neighbour is one of these types then there’s no hope!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:49:36

Oh lord yes, our ndn mum has a nasal voice and seems to repeat her kids names all the time.

"pollllly, pollllllllly, polllllly,"

"Gregorrrry, nooooooo, don't smack or ill smack you and it'll hurt"

I'm waiting for them to both have the talk at school where they tell you your parents cant hit you.

I am starting to dislike children immensely. That and the constant high pitched screeching, them falling out with each other and crying. Roll on September.

Camperqueen Sat 11-Aug-18 12:55:05

NDN has two sons with extremely loud, high pitched, whiny toned voices. They shout a lot. It’s extremly grating. I pointed it out to friends down the road and they can’t stop hearing it now too so it carries all the way down 4 good sized gardens. At least puberty is around the corner and hopefully they will lose the pitch. I sympathise OP.

Mamabearx4 Sat 11-Aug-18 12:57:32

I feel your pain. My old ndn voice used to grate, could hear down the road very showy the whole word needed to know her business.
Im now in the middle of 2 polish families both lovely, but my god they like to shout. But i so much better then before.

I recommend ear defenders grin

ididntdoititwasher Sat 11-Aug-18 18:20:06

Thanks everyone.
She does seem lovely, but I do think some conversations she has with her family are for the surrounding neighbours. It's the tone, it's Just so distracting. We have just been outside having a cuppa and her voice was making me lose my train of thought whilst taking with the hubby.

We are far from perfect, but I have always been conscious of the noise we make outside. Hubby likes cricket on the radio but I alway check the volume it's not invasive and pull him up if he swears during his disastrous diy attempts.

I just hope I do learn to tune it out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Camperqueen Sat 11-Aug-18 19:24:37

Bless you! Hope you can find a way to let her know you hear her extensively in a socially acceptable way as she’s nice!! In my NDN case the parents do seem to be somewhat aware. They themselves are quite quiet people. I can only imagine how irritating it can be for them, unless they are used to it!

Beeziekn33ze Sat 11-Aug-18 19:29:34

Could your neighbour have a hearing problem? Sometimes people who don't hear well aren't aware how loudly they are speaking.

Appleandmango22 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:32:50

I can hear the woman over the road shout at her twins when they are inside the house. 1960s property aswell so pretty thick walls.

BloomsButtons Sat 11-Aug-18 19:36:52

I have a similar neighbour OP but instead of high pitched and whiny she booms and has a laugh like a deep voiced Janice. A lot of it in my case is for show in a 'look how friendly and out-going I am' kind of way. She is neither!

IceCreamFace Sun 12-Aug-18 08:12:38

Oh my god my neighbour always talks to her son in the moa annoying baby voice and always does this high pitched squeel everyone he does anything like 'oooooo did you pick up your car, oooooo did you sit on the chair'. It's so irritating! No way would I say anything though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: