Talk

Advanced search

AIBU dog in season

(15 Posts)
NightOwl101 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:49:51

I have a rescue dog who is currently in season, this is her second season that she's had since she's been with us, because of her history she is a very very nervous dog and doesn't cope well in situations where there is lots of people or men but we've built on this massively.

When we first got her she was a nervous wreck and we have come so far but she is still very very nervous and has anxiety and because of this the rescue centre advised us not to get her spayed just yet because she wouldn't deal well with it so weekly we go to the vets for weighing and a treat sit down in the waiting rooms to get use to the noise and then leave. After a year on this she has not long stopped trying to choke herself out in fear to escape and she'll sit with me but very nervous and alert and won't take a treat off the staff who are great and make an effort with her.

Anyway because she's in season next door have a male dog who is obviously struggling with this and has been crying and restless trying to get to our dog and neighbours are complaining we are VVVVU and should get our dog done and she'll have to deal with the stress. I've explained but it's not good enough their male dog can't get done apparently because "he came into the world with balls and he'll go out with them aswell"

Every night we hose the path down to try and get rid of smells but I don't no why else we can do? AIBU to not get DDog spayed just yet

NightOwl101 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:50:10

Sport for the length of post blush

Lipsticktraces Sat 11-Aug-18 09:51:28

What does your vet say regarding having her spayed? Tbh I think I would follow their advice rather than the rescue centre.

Cookiefan Sat 11-Aug-18 09:52:18

No you aren't. They could neuter their dog and should. Just say to them 'my dog came into this world with a womb and she'll leave with one'.

NightOwl101 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:53:14

The vets have seen her many many times and think that she's come along way but it would be very stressful for her to be done now and as they no us and how we're working with us they think it would be better for her to wait a little longer

We've put so much time and effort into getting her to where she is now she's still very nervous to book her in would send her straight back to square one

Branleuse Sat 11-Aug-18 09:53:23

If they want their dog to keep his balls, then thats their own problem. Your bitch came into this world with a functioning reproductive system too.

Strugglingtodomybest Sat 11-Aug-18 09:54:14

If the neighbours have that attitude then I would stop worrying about them. It's not your responsibility to make their dog feel better and they're being ridiculous.

Janus Sat 11-Aug-18 09:55:32

Good point cookie, much easier to get rid of a pair of balls!! (I have male and female dogs, all done).
Your neighbour is being ridiculous, you do what’s best for your dog and wait until you feel she can cope. Id struggle to be polite with them tbh!

yunalis Sat 11-Aug-18 09:55:33

Your neighbours sound like idiots, but your vet sounds lovely.

MissusGeneHunt Sat 11-Aug-18 09:58:30

YANBU. It's not like you share land, and their want of keeping their dog entire doesn't outweigh your bitch's need for more help before she's happy enough to be spayed, if that's what you want.

It sounds like you're trying to do all you can, and are a responsible dog owner. Perhaps more advice from the vet for descenting? Hope it turns out OK OP.

lljkk Sat 11-Aug-18 09:59:48

You're both being U imho. Deserve each other, frankly.

causeimunderyourspell Sat 11-Aug-18 10:01:41

^ Tit.

Just ignore them, I'm shocked they could be that cheeky that they are insisting you get your dog done! Ridiculous.

SusanneLinder Sat 11-Aug-18 10:06:38

I also have a very nervous rescue bitch. She came to us unspayed. After 2 seasons ( miserable for everyone inc her), we got her spayed. She was climbing all over our neutered male who growled at her.
She is absolutely fine. Much happier.

Scienceforthewin Sat 11-Aug-18 10:20:42

My vets advised they didn't spay close to being in season, so we had to wait for a season then wait 3 months. If your vets is the same it's a moot point now! Sounds like your planning on having it done when appropriate so the rest is your neighbors problem.

Apehouse Sat 11-Aug-18 10:20:49

If the neighbour’s dog has a problem with your dog on your land, that’s for the neighbour to deal with. Temporary chemical castration is also a possibility for their male.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: