Talk

Advanced search

Is this mean?

(17 Posts)
23ttcandengaged Sat 11-Aug-18 00:53:29

I live in a ground floor flat, I own mine and 4 of the 6 properties are council owned and rented.
Most of which have oversized families crammed into a two bedroom flat, I get that kids want to play outside, I have no issue of that, but am I being unreasonable to ask them to not play near my windows with a leather football?
If one of the other flats windows are broken it's covered by the council, if mine is cancelled I have to pay for it myself or hope the parent of the child that did smash it would be willing to pay (considering they didn't offer to replace my flower pot they smashed I can't see it happening?)

It's constant every night from 5pm -9pm outside our window.
I'm just wondering should they not be playing under their parents windows instead?

SavannahSky Sat 11-Aug-18 01:00:40

Is it your own garden they are playing in or a communal garden? Or is it the street?

garethsouthgatesmrs Sat 11-Aug-18 01:05:07

YANBI to ask it completely depends where they are playing as to whether they WBU to not comply. Ultimately though if they break your window they should pay for it.

If a neighbour asked me politely not to let my kids play outside their window I would definitely do so so I would suggest you do it in the most polite an friendly way you can.

amy85 Sat 11-Aug-18 06:45:34

Council don't cover the cost of broken windows (well mine doesn't)

Depends where they are playing as to whether yabu or not

Monty27 Sat 11-Aug-18 07:03:21

hmm rtft

23ttcandengaged Sat 11-Aug-18 08:19:29

It's a communal garden so I get there isn't a lot I can do about it.
I literally don't mind them playing 5ft the other way but currently the set their goal posts 1m from my window and I know it's that far as it's literally on the Line of my flower bed which I created.

23ttcandengaged Sat 11-Aug-18 08:24:51

I asked the children politely to move their goal post as the football almost came through the open window twice and one of them gave me terrible attitude. So I said if you are going to speak to me in that manner then I'll speak to his mum. Which I did.
I very politely spoke to his mum and she said she'd come down to speak with him.
The problem is then one of the other mums has come downstairs and started screaming and shouting wanting to know why I'm speaking to the other mum and then decided to slag me off extremely loudly to my neighbours right outside my door. She didn't come speak to me to find out what happened, just spoke to the kids and then went screaming in the communal hallway about me apparently shouting at her children? (Which I didn't even speak to her kids just one of the other neighbours kids and I definitely didn't shout) I'm in tears because I feel vicitimised but all I want them to do is to move their goals 5ft away, which I don't see as a big ask?

Rollyrollyrollyrolly Sat 11-Aug-18 08:40:44

I think I'm gonna upset the mumsnet masses with this response but oh well.

It's a shit situation OP and I have dealt with people like this before and in an ideal world you would speak to the parents they would move the goal posts and it wouldn't even be an issue but we don't live in an ideal world so you have two choices A) keep asking the parents to move the goal posts and risk being victimised more, it back firing and them moving the goal posts closer to the window or worse smashing the window "accidently" which you won't see a penny for because they "can't give you what they don't have can they" or B) ignore it all ignore the kids and hope your window doesn't get smashed, be polite to the parents and the children and hope it all deescalates on its own.

I know neither of those situations is what you want but I honestly think they are your choices unless you want to start feeling unsafe and victimised in your own home.

I'm sorry this is happening OP sad

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas Sat 11-Aug-18 08:42:38

Open the window.

Keep the ball.

YouTheCat Sat 11-Aug-18 08:44:39

They are being a nuisance. Contact the council and put in a complaint about them. You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your property and it will be in their tenancy agreement about appropriate behaviour.

Apehouse Sat 11-Aug-18 12:21:50

Ask the council in writing whether that type of ball game is permitted in the communal garden, stating your concerns

23ttcandengaged Sat 11-Aug-18 13:34:08

There has been a letter come through the door recently stating to ask for a soft ball and play nowhere near the windows of others properties. So it's annoying me more that we all received it but the residents have chosen to ignore it

YeTalkShiteHen Sat 11-Aug-18 13:35:46

The council doesn’t replace windows for free?

But YANBU OP, the parents are being dicks.

23ttcandengaged Mon 13-Aug-18 20:36:41

Update! The council gave them foam balls, so now the football is soaking wet after they soaked it in their paddling pool and I have wet, muddy football prints all over my clean windows after I cleaned them at the weekend 😡

cardibach Mon 13-Aug-18 20:47:08

Why would the council give them balls? This all makes very little sense.

iamyourequal Mon 13-Aug-18 20:56:28

cardibach

Why would the council give them balls?This all makes very little sense.

The council have the unenviable task of trying not to let their tenants upset other residents while still trying to encourage kids to play outside. I think this a reasonable stab at a solution. The next step will likely be putting up a ‘no ball games’ sign, which would be a shame for the kids. The best outcome would be for the parents to be better neighbours and better parents and tell their kids to move the goal and teach them not to be cheeky. But lots of people just don’t manage that level of social concern.

23ttcandengaged Mon 13-Aug-18 21:06:18

They were gifted to the children as a solution to the loud banging that multiple residents complained about.
Now I have muddy football prints over my windows and I'm in tears, I know it sounds sad but I can't talk to their parents as she is so aggressive and abusive so I just have to accept it or talk to the kids which they don't care..
I'm at my wits end. I just want to move but I can't. I have a mortgage. It's going to be very hard for me to move. 😡💔

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: