Talk

Advanced search

To ask for proper relaxation techniques

(15 Posts)
anothernameagain000 Fri 10-Aug-18 21:59:14

Mindfulness leaves me cold, I’m never going to be into yoga, and I’m maybe generally a bit I’d a stress head. However I’ve been working 13 hour days and am finding it hard to wind down. Have tried reading, having a nice bath and other things but am still a bit twitchy (for want of a better word). Any tips??

Luglio Fri 10-Aug-18 22:03:42

What's stopping you trying yoga? It's pretty much the only thing that works.

anothernameagain000 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:06:59

I have tried yoga - maybe it’s the classes I’ve been to - but I just don’t really find it relaxing (more I worry if I’m getting right and then come home and am jealous that my dog does the “downward dog” better than I do smile

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 10-Aug-18 22:15:54

Knitting, crochet, colouring in etc. Depends what you enjoy. Something fairly simple, repetetive but creative to engage your brain in a different way to how it's been used all day.

Or something physical like running or your dreaded yoga.

marsbarsandtwix Fri 10-Aug-18 22:17:07

hypnosis? the website hypnosis downloads has some good ones

anothernameagain000 Fri 10-Aug-18 23:06:29

Ooh crochet could be a great idea. Now I’m going to sounds silly but where would you find the wool and needles (plus instructions) my mum may know but are there maybe tutorials

Helpmemyhairisterrible Fri 10-Aug-18 23:09:47

You tube is your friend for knitting and crochet. Also join Ravelry. You can start with next to nothing. I've seen crochet hooks in Tesco along with the sewing thread and spare buttons.

nokidshere Fri 10-Aug-18 23:14:26

I lie quietly in the dark and listen to an audio book. The best relaxing voice ever is Bill Patterson - it doesn't even matter what he is reading

Harrykanesrightsock Fri 10-Aug-18 23:17:52

Wine

WarPigeon Fri 10-Aug-18 23:19:08

I agree with above, drink wine.

anothernameagain000 Fri 10-Aug-18 23:43:23

Oh wine had been my friend so far

tootssweet Sat 11-Aug-18 07:00:36

@anothernameagain000 if you are looking for cheap bits to get you started crocheting or knitting then try Wilkos or the £shop as they do cheapish wool & needles. Also if you do have a wool shop near you lots of them offer beginners classes to get you started.
I struggle to unwind too but my basic knitting skills have helped as did running

GeorgeIII Sat 11-Aug-18 07:27:38

Def not wine imv. I do drink it but I sleep less well and feel more twitchy the following day.
I know meditating is a drag but I have a 40 minute Jon Kabat Zinn one which means I twitch and mind wanders for the first 20 mins but by the 30 min point it is bored into submission and by the end I am relaxed and a bit floaty. Try a longer session. It will probably take several goes until it starts to work.

YogiBear13 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:09:54

I learned to knit using YouTube videos. I'm not amazing but have done a couple of scarves with nice patterns and I find it quite relaxing.

If you're not totally against yoga, you can find videos for that on YouTube as well. I watch videos from a channel called Yoga with Adrienne as I know I would hate to go to a class. She's very good at explaining, plus doing it at home means you can do it whenever you want, skip positions you don't like, do it for as long or as short as you like.

Neverender Sat 11-Aug-18 08:14:20

Yes to yoga - find a really good teacher

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: