Talk

Advanced search

Using address instead of name to call people

(33 Posts)
LonelyStranger Fri 10-Aug-18 20:29:29

At the local pharmacy (which conveniently sits in the same building as the doctors), I’ve noticed one of the employees at the pharmacy reads out the first line of the address when she can’t pronoince the name.
The first time this happened I was taken aback, and wondered why no one said anything.
I don’t think anyone wants a full (always busy) pharmacy to hear where you live (it’s a small town so everyone knows pretty much all street names).
Would it be wrong for me to call the pharmacy and speak to someone higher up?

LonelyStranger Fri 10-Aug-18 20:29:57

Pronounce *

HoleyCoMoley Fri 10-Aug-18 20:32:57

I don't see it as any different to calling out someone's name, not everyone wants their name called out in front of other people, there should be an anonymous calling system really, I've seen a doctors surgery and attached pharmacy use a number system.

CSIblonde Fri 10-Aug-18 20:38:27

Picking up regular meds I get my name read out then "can you confirm your address" . So I think they're legally required to ask anyway. I wouldn't be worried: No one gives a monkeys or would be listening where Iive, all in their own bubble, including me.

RoseTree7 Fri 10-Aug-18 20:39:50

Why does it bother you? confused

Why do you feel the need to 'take things further?'

You need to get out more.

PrincessHairyMclary Fri 10-Aug-18 20:42:48

My pharmacy uses the same process as CSIblonde, name then confirm address so not a huge issue.

LonelyStranger Fri 10-Aug-18 20:49:16

I was thinking more along the lines of, if I’ve moved away from ex, and for personal reasons haven’t disclosed address, what if a mutual friend would happily pass it on (obviously they’d have to be there to hear it).

You’re right rose confused

Fluffyears Fri 10-Aug-18 22:07:47

My pharmacy always ask you to say the first line of your address so it’s said out loud by the customer anyway.

Tiredtomybones Fri 10-Aug-18 22:20:54

One pharmacy I use has recently starting asking for postcode too, they never did this, just first line of address. Not sure if all pharmacies do this, or just this one.

9amTrain Fri 10-Aug-18 22:45:41

All the pharmacies I've used get me to confirm my address out loud anyway.

OhTheRoses Fri 10-Aug-18 22:50:42

Ooh it's worse at hospital appointments.

A loud: wbat's your name; what's your first name?
What's your date of birth?
Address?

Who knows who's behind you. Identity nicked in a flash.

I asked to write it down once but got shouted at.

TinaTeacake Fri 10-Aug-18 23:29:45

Should be a number system like the deli counter at Tesco. Calling out peoples names breaches confidentiality. But then just being there where people can see you breaches confidentiality!
How does the pharmacist know where people live anyway? Why would they need to know that?

MissusGeneHunt Fri 10-Aug-18 23:35:02

I can just about deal with my name on the screen when I'm called into the GP, but when my meds come through the adjoining pharmacy, and they shout 'MissusGeneHunt, your controlled drugs are being signed off', I get a bit tetchy....

Everyone looks at me as though I'm a drug addict, and I'm too embarrassed to explain they're merely a 'calmer' to get me through bad bouts of bipolar... As yes, I've mentioned the decibels levels, but it falls on deaf ears.

OhTheRoses Sat 11-Aug-18 00:06:48

It is nothinv compared to the day a receptionist yelled across the surgery "your smear's overdue, do you want to make an appointment?". I was seated on the other side of the room, having just nodded at dd's Deputy Headmaster who had just walked in.

TotHappy Sat 11-Aug-18 01:14:19

'not everyone wants their name called out in front of other people' hmm confused

Are you crazy? How precious can you get? The fact that you exist, and have a name, is not a secret.

CSIblonde Sat 11-Aug-18 01:28:47

Ohtheroses
That made me spit my tea out! Feel your pain.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sat 11-Aug-18 01:40:28

Pharmacies have to double check that they're giving the right drugs to the right person. There may be more than one person of that name using that pharmacy.

Surely if you didn't want your address to be disclosed to someone you knew who was in the pharmacy you could say to the pharmacist that you'll write it down. Although in the scenario you suggest it would be easier for someone who wanted to track you down to do so using the electoral register or social media rather than sending mutual friends to pharmacies in the hope you'll turn up and have time at your address out loud whilst they're there.

If you have an ex and don't want them to know your new address I suggest you tell your mutual friends not to let him/her know where you live.

FissionChips Sat 11-Aug-18 02:07:42

I absolutely hate my name being called out. I have a very unusual name and everyone turns to stare at me, it’s horrible.

9amTrain Sat 11-Aug-18 02:16:08

@TinaTeacake the pharmacist knows your address because your address is on the prescription.

TittyFahLaEtcetera Sat 11-Aug-18 02:37:54

Like EmmaGrundy says, they need to make sure they have the right person. They need to verify your info and using name, dob and address are the best way to do that. They will gave that info on the prescription, and it should match your summary care record that they pull up. If all that info matches they can be sure.

The pp above who suggested a number system - there is one. It's called your NHS number. It's the gold standard for checking patient identity. But no one ever bothers to learn it.

And your confidentiality is not breached if they use your name, that's ridiculous. If they read out all your details yes, that breaches GDPR. But in direct healthcare it's allowed for them to ask you for this information to make sure it's up to date. If out of date information is knowingly kept and they breach your confidentiality, they could face serious penalties. Your information is yours to give as you see fit. However, if you refuse to give any information, in some settings you could be denied care.

Greenyogagirl Sat 11-Aug-18 02:54:53

At every pharmacy I’ve been to they ask your address before handing over the prescription, people in the pharmacy with you then know your name and address and what you look like, I don’t think saying a random address over the phone is such a big deal

annoyed1212 Sat 11-Aug-18 03:03:02

I worked at a small town chemist where we had two customers of the exact same name and they lived on the same road. There was a royal fuck up with their medicines. After that we HAD to confirm first line of address (including their house number) at every pick up, even if we knew the customer really well. I imagine in a busier chemist there is the likelihood of more mistakes being made.

I personally wouldn't shout out the address if the chemist shopfloor is busy, but it needs to be loud enough so it is heard properly, esp as most customers are elderly and many hard of hearing.

Ninabean17 Sat 11-Aug-18 06:49:50

Pharmacy worker here. We HAVE to confirm name and address. We (and probably other pharmacies) have more than a few people with identical names. Then some people with almost identical names, which can catch you out. It's important, we don't do it to spread your details around to people standing behind you. They're probably not listening anyway.

jay55 Sat 11-Aug-18 06:55:30

Most people wouldn’t remember it 5 seconds later.

Oysterbabe Sat 11-Aug-18 07:01:59

I can't get worked up about this. The chance that anyone being close enough to hear will use the information for evil must be vanishingly small.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: