Talk

Advanced search

To not be able to tell the age of anyone?

(47 Posts)
bobstersmum Fri 10-Aug-18 19:57:59

I really honestly cannot tell how old anyone is anymore. Is there a way to help? I find that even teenage girls look so much older these days and I have no idea if they're 16 or late 20's! Young men that have beards confuse me too as they look older.

Hidillyho Fri 10-Aug-18 19:59:14

A lot of girls look older than their age because of makeup skills. If they took their makeup off you would be able to tell I think

Anonnymouse54321 Fri 10-Aug-18 20:00:52

YANBU. I can't tell anyone's ages. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me they were 25 or 45.

Oysterbabe Fri 10-Aug-18 20:01:01

I can't either. I can do kids up to 3 as that's the age of my oldest then I get lost.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 10-Aug-18 20:03:10

I’m rubbish too. Normally out by about 20 years on my guesstimates.

ThinksTwice Fri 10-Aug-18 20:05:04

Teenagers look much younger these day not older! The reason i say this is because when you look back at old photos of your mum/nan/great nan as a teen/young adult they look so old for their age!

A picture of my nan when she was around 19 looked like she was 35! It was the hair style/dress sense that aged them.

Kenworthington Fri 10-Aug-18 20:06:47

Ah I’m appalling at it too. But on actual adults.i make everyone at least 10 years older than they actually are 😬

Rosetree7 Fri 10-Aug-18 20:07:13

Just remember that the vast majority of people look roughly their age, and no-one looks more than 7-10 years younger than they are. (Despite people on here, claiming they get asked for ID when they buy alcohol - even though they are 46!) 😂😂😂

I can always guess someone's age within 3 or 4 years.

Noboozeforme Fri 10-Aug-18 20:28:44

Oh I SO want to try Rosetree's skills !!!

I'm rubbish too ! Though I'm pretty good at guessing teens / early 20's ages.

nokidshere Fri 10-Aug-18 20:36:38

I look my age. Most people if trying to guess it guess within 5 years of my actual age.

But I still got asked for ID to buy wine in Tesco hmmconfused the assistant wasn't best pleased when i suggested, politely of course, that she needed to,visit the opticians

nokidshere Fri 10-Aug-18 20:37:12

Oh meant to add - I'm 57

bobstersmum Fri 10-Aug-18 22:00:15

I think it is more the teen girls looking older and sophisticated that throws me. I can usually tell by talking to someone if they're an adult, but just looking I can't! When I was a teen in the 90s we looked like teens, we were mostly quite geeky, rubbish at applying make up, and wore clothes that probably only teens wore! It's not like that now.

bobstersmum Fri 10-Aug-18 22:01:02

Nokidshere, I would be overjoyed if I was asked for id!

Theweasleytwins Fri 10-Aug-18 22:11:18

I think teenagers look much older these days- lots of makeup and grown up clothes

I was watching something like teen pop idol? A 14 year old girl was on and dh came in and commented that she was attractive- I pointed out she was 14 and he was shocked. She looked about 18. I only knew as I was watching the programme

LaurieFairyCake Fri 10-Aug-18 22:34:53

I defo look at least ten years younger than my age. Not being vain or delusional grin
I’m nearly 50, not one person puts me over 35. I did one of those ‘guess my age’ on here on my 35th and no one put me over 25.

Oysterbabe Fri 10-Aug-18 22:39:58

I used to look young for my age and then I had 2 kids in quick succession, haven't slept since 2015 and have a face like a dropped pie.

Birdsgottafly Fri 10-Aug-18 23:25:54

Rosetree7 , that isn't true for some Black Women. I thought the Woman who answered the door to my DD's Friend's house was her Mum, it was her Great Nan. She looks a 'good' early 40's, she's nearly 70. I've met other relatives of hers that I put in their 30's, they were my age, in their 50's and I know how to spot the signs of aging skin, I spend enough time trying to get rid of them.

JamAtkins Fri 10-Aug-18 23:35:39

I am hopeless once people are over about 12. I have to ask female patients at work if they might be pregnant if they are under 55 so I have a quick look at their date of birth to make sure before I say anything but I have been close to asking women in their 70s when their last period was.

DP got asked for ID buying a lottery ticket which an actual schoolboy of 16 is allowed to buy. He was 44 and has grey hair.

JynxaSmoochum Sat 11-Aug-18 00:31:38

I had my alcohol confiscated at the till because I didn't have ID on me. I'm 12 years older than the challenge 25, and was 18 last century. People who are in their 20s struggle to believe that I was well into my teens before they were born. It's good genes. My grandmothers still look fabulous in their 80s grin

However my eyebrows let me down these days, I just don't have a thick enough sharpie wink

Body shapes have changed so there are less willowy very young body shapes and more teenagers/ young women have curvier women's body shapes younger. Being small and having little bust as well as a fairly young face shape combines to make people significantly underestimate my age. Not handy when a collegue walks into your class of y7s and asks where the teacher is because you don't have the physical presence over a bunch of 12 year olds confused

1wokeuplikethis Sat 11-Aug-18 00:39:11

Face like a dropped pie!!!! Ha!!!! Love it oyster

RoseTree7 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:34:26

@BirdsGottaFly

I agree that many black people look younger than they are, but rarely more than 10 years younger - not when you look properly. I have seen a few women (black and Asian) who are 50, and look 35-38, at first glance, but when you look at them properly, you can tell they are older.

I'm sorry but I don't believe a woman of 70 years old looked 40. She may have looked good, and younger than her years, but not almost 2 generations younger.

celebritydiscodave Sat 11-Aug-18 16:56:07

I`m okay at guessing the age of teens, my fan base are teens (I`m 63 yrs, almost) but I tend to over estimate the age of those significantly older than this. Basically, I believe that the vast majority of us age far too quickly. The following began out of my physical world records, I think, but has since become solely personality based. The only social group I`m notably popular with are mid teens, age prejudice creeps up on older folk. They usually guess my age at around forty, but one girl, fifteen, insists that I can only be about twenty five. I`m perhaps a shade better at estimating the age of older people like me than that. It`s all very interesting though, for none of us actually owe anything to the passage of time, do we?

celebritydiscodave Sat 11-Aug-18 17:03:13

It is not so much how old we look that matters, it`s how old we are, biologically are, how much we have negatively altered, and the orbits of the sun measure is no more than that, a unit is required for ageing. We may well be younger than we look, (or older) due to the amount of radiation of exposed skin, but this is only a small fraction of a single organ.

Rosetree7 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:24:05

@celebritydiscodave

I'm okay at guessing the age of teens, my fan base are teens (I`m 63 yrs, almost) but I tend to over estimate the age of those significantly older than this. Basically, I believe that the vast majority of us age far too quickly. The following began out of my physical world records, I think, but has since become solely personality based.

The only social group I`m notably popular with are mid teens, age prejudice creeps up on older folk. They usually guess my age at around forty, but one girl, fifteen, insists that I can only be about twenty five. I`m perhaps a shade better at estimating the age of older people like me than that. It`s all very interesting though, for none of us actually owe anything to the passage of time, do we?

Not sure if your post is a wind-up or not. But assuming you are being serious.............

You are 63, but someone guessed your age at 25?

Seriously, take her to specsavers.

Not a soul on the planet who is in their 60's, looks 25.

Not even 40 (as you claim you are sometimes mistaken for!)

I think people are pulling your leg.

Trust me, you look your age.

celebritydiscodave Sat 11-Aug-18 19:46:57

Sure, but you have an obsession with how old people look, whereas, my younger friends, a significant number of them, are more sophisticated of perception, and they take into the equation things like, personality, the empathy experienced, chemistry, sense of humor, in common, vitality, perhaps even my beating most of the world physically, other factors like this. They play a significant role in formulating their perception, to varying degree, obviously, people are all individuals. Without first experiencing me as being like them, young, they would n`t even think to try and befriend me. As I said, how old one looks means an unhealthy amount to you, it`s really not so important. I was amazed that she considered me to be just twenty five, you`d have to ask her why, and no, as far as I`m aware her vision is perfect. It`s not for me to defend her perception though. It was very definitely a compliment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: