Talk

Advanced search

To ask people not to feed my horses?

(54 Posts)
Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:01:00

That's it really. I have signs up explaining that one has a medical condition and that treats such and carrots, polos and apples could kill. But it's the holidays and families are walking past more often and just can't ignore it. Even grabbing a bit of greenery and offering it over the fence... it could be a poisonous plant. The thing is, my horses love a bit of a fuss, there is no need to wave the remains of your sarnies about to get to meet them. It's no different to offering food over a garden fence to a dog, but people just don't see it in the same way. If I didn't have the signs I could kind of understand it.
I'm not running a fucking petting zoo.

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:01:37

I meant they just ignore it. I wish we had an edit button for ranty days.

Seeyounexttue Fri 10-Aug-18 18:03:31

One of our fences borders a public footpath - I ended up installing electric fencing a few feet inside the perimeter so the horses can't reach. It sucks, but despite signs etc people just wouldn't stop feeding them!

MsOliphant Fri 10-Aug-18 18:05:04

Electric fence.

You will always get people that think their whim to feed an animal trumps any consideration for its welfare. People are dicks.

Spudlet Fri 10-Aug-18 18:07:02

Absolutely you are not! Bloody numpties.

You might have to stick a line of electric fencing inside the main fence though to create a gap... or better yet, a line of electric tape along the top rail, attached to the strongest power supply available. It's fine so long as you put warning signs up.

MsOliphant Fri 10-Aug-18 18:08:25

There was a thread a little while back where someone had dumped bags of GRASS CUTTINGS in the field for the horses to eat. When questioned, they acted like they'd tried to do the owner of the horses a favour!

LucyFox Fri 10-Aug-18 18:14:19

Can you put up a double fence so a second one about 1m inside the current one which would make it much harder for people to interact? Or keep your horses away from the bit of field where the public can get to?

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:14:38

God, who saw that awful article about the foal killed by grass cuttings dumped in the field? I'd be murderous.
I have a horrible feeling that if I put up electric fence inside the perimeter they'd probably lob the food over it. Without outing myself - there are other animals in the field next door that get that treatment.
Unfortunately, due to me renting the place and not being able to do mains electric fencing, and various lovely bushes along the fence line, electric fence on the actual fence won't work.
It will take me years to get the hawthorne to cover the whole thing!

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:15:29

To answer another question - my fields aren't big enough to fence off a huge chunk and waste grazing in order to keep the horses away from the public. I need to use the whole field.

Spudlet Fri 10-Aug-18 18:17:08

Really? They'd chuck food over?! That's ridiculous!

Maybe you could swap your signs for ones saying they bite, with pictures of some real nasty horse bite injuries. My friend had her finger degloved, but I don't have a picture of it, unfortunately (she is fine now, I hasten to add!).

MsOliphant Fri 10-Aug-18 18:17:22

You could have signs saying they will bite? Or have a disease. Might put people off.

RossPoldarksFloozie Fri 10-Aug-18 18:17:40

I have electric fences inside the walls of the fields since one well meaning idiot fed 3 of my horses grass cuttings 3 years ago. They actually brought a huge bag of grass cuttings. That year was fun at the vet school 😭

Spudlet Fri 10-Aug-18 18:17:52

I don't disbelieve you btw, just... people! Bloody hell!

Dixiechickonhols Fri 10-Aug-18 18:22:16

The horse near us (and right near a primary school) has a sign on the fence saying please do not feed the horse you are killing him with kindness.

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:22:18

I have quite a long sign saying about the illness and that the horses could bite small fingers. To no avail. I think I'm just ranting, it's a case of more signs... cultivate thorny bushes... or move. Sigh.

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:23:25

Then after the other thread here I did another sign about fussing not feeding and kindness could kill. People just think they know better. There must be Mumsnet mums who are among the feeders who blight our lives.

catinboots9 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:24:35

Electric fence inside the fence

Wrongwayup Fri 10-Aug-18 18:26:20

I have a double fence. Idiots still throw carrots over

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:26:26

Imagine a nice wooden boundary fence and at intervals along it there are hawthorne bushes and some small trees. Meaning that electric fence would have to lose me rather a lot of my two small paddocks and it would be difficult to make it effective.
Don't even go there on energisers being stolen in this area mind you, that's another limiting factor. grin

catinboots9 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:26:42

Or yellow/black danger tape in the outside of the fence. Bigger, scarier signs..

HAZARD WARNING.

etc etc

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:28:11

I like that idea Cat!

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:28:43

Could I have a pic of that degloved finger to laminate and stick on the fence maybe? They'd still chuck it over wouldn't they...

SideOrderofSprouts Fri 10-Aug-18 18:32:04

People seem to
Believe it is their right to feed other people’s animals.

You have my sympathy op. We get the same problem with our horses

My sil used to have an ex race horse. One night a drunk man climbed into
The field to try and ride him. He nearly got killed.

popocatepetals Fri 10-Aug-18 18:33:08

A friend of mine had a similar problem. His horses' field backed onto the back fence of a large garden and the people were always chucking grass clippings over. There were also loads of plants that might have been poisonous growing within reach of the horses.

So he put up an electric fence a couple of metres in, and then neighbour complained because their kids got electric shocks from it when they went round to get their football back.

So he paid loads of money for a post and rail fence to be put up inside the field instead, leaving a strip between that and the garden fence.

And what did the CF neighbours do? They took their own boundary fences down and extended their garden right up to his fence again, pinching his land.

The court case is ongoing...

derxa Fri 10-Aug-18 18:42:06

I have great sympathy. We have three horses in a paddock but they are well away from the public. My problem is dog walkers and sheep worrying. The trouble is that people have no idea about how to behave around animals.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: