Talk

Advanced search

AIBU Why do English people curtsy to the royal family?

(293 Posts)
PineapplePower Fri 10-Aug-18 14:15:26

I need to stop reading the Daily Mail, but there was an article there about how “low” you should curtsy to your betters.

...there was a photo of Theresa May curtsying to Prince William, of all people. I found it absolutely repulsive.

Think what you will of her, but should she be bowing and scraping in front of a 30-something dude that hasn’t done much with his life? She’s the PM fer chrissakes!!!

Viviennemary Fri 10-Aug-18 14:17:39

Yes it drives me mad too. Teresa May curtseying to Prince William is a joke. Why on earth should she. it should be him bowing to her if anything.

Flyme21 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:18:26

I agree, but a lot won't. I can kind of see it with the queen but think it should be stopped once she's gone. Definitely not to lower royals. It's an antiquated practice that has no place now.

YeTalkShiteHen Fri 10-Aug-18 14:18:50

The whole concept of deference to royals makes me a bit sick tbh. Anyone who is revered and demands such ridiculous bowing and scraping is a bit of a twat imo.

GoatWoman Fri 10-Aug-18 14:18:59

Agree. It's utterly embarrassing.

NewYearNewMe18 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:20:01

I suppose the day TM flies choppers and serves in the forces and flies an air ambulance they'll be on equal pegging, no ?

Gromance02 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:20:52

William should have bowed to her. Not the other way around. I wouldn't courtesy to anyone. Perhaps people that save lives every day but not a family that has billions in property while living in a country with over a million people relying on foodbanks. Vile.

FlintyBadman Fri 10-Aug-18 14:21:27

It's not obligatory, it's their choice.

www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family

Gromance02 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:22:18

I suppose the day TM flies choppers and serves in the forces and flies an air ambulance they'll be on equal pegging, no ? Are we supposed to be impressed with that? I can only assume you are being sarcastic.

Skyejuly Fri 10-Aug-18 14:23:43

I don't mind it.

MrsSteptoe Fri 10-Aug-18 14:23:47

Feelings about monarchy aside, it's a little bit harsh to describe him as a thirtysomething that hasn't done much with his life. No-one would ever say that about anyone else who has served two years as an air ambulance pilot after a stint in the military. I know it's not quite the same if you have all the advantages of royalty, but nonetheless. I am quite optimistic for the younger royals, while at the same time learning towards republicanism in principle.

Dadsbigsausages Fri 10-Aug-18 14:23:58

Another one here who doesn't understand the pedestal the Royals are on. I saw the pic of curtesy and thought no matter your personal politics, how can anyone not agree the person who has the most important job in the UK humbling herself to the son of a rich family is ludicrous.

MidnightAura Fri 10-Aug-18 14:24:37

I wouldn’t curtsy to them. Not in a million years but to be fair I wouldn’t curtsy to anyone.

Gromance02 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:27:40

Mrs Steptoe How many days has he actually worked? Compared to someone else of his age?

Bluelady Fri 10-Aug-18 14:28:08

It's tradition to bow or courtesy to the Royal family. Some of us quite like it.

Bluelady Fri 10-Aug-18 14:29:54

Curtsey, even!

RavenWings Fri 10-Aug-18 14:30:55

To be fair to William, I don't know how much he'd actually be allowed to work. Wasn't it Harry that had to be pulled out of some military operation because of safety concerns?

But I agree that bowing is antiquated nonsense.

pigsDOfly Fri 10-Aug-18 14:33:58

I imagine as the PM she feels obliged to show deference to the royal family.

Personally, I wouldn't curtsy or bow to anyone and contrary to your title a lot of English people don't actually curtsy to the royal family. No one is obliged to.

mummmy2017 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:41:31

Respect for the crown, not the person.
If there was more respect in this world, like the law, and teachers, children might grown up to be better people...

QueenDoris Fri 10-Aug-18 14:42:42

When I met Prince Charles due to my social standing he bowed to me. Unfortunately I curtsied at the same time and head butted him. Camilla thought I had done it deliberately so took a swing at me. We ended up rolling around the floor biting, scratching and pulling each others hair. All a bit undignified.

CraftyGin Fri 10-Aug-18 14:43:54

The answer to the OP’s question is in the Daily Mail Article.

sohorrible Fri 10-Aug-18 14:43:55

It's a custom. It's a bit weird that so many people think curtseying/bowing is outrageous, but are then glued to the TV every time there's a royal wedding/baby/funeral/whatever.

Either you support this pointless national tradition, or you don't.

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Fri 10-Aug-18 14:44:16

grin @ doris

tbh I wouldn't curtsey to anyone. but then again I am highly unlikely to be invited anywhere where it might be a requirement.

Janni01 Fri 10-Aug-18 14:45:05

I don't get it either, I don't see why one family should be seen as so so important

Yes, respect them for the work they've done in the military and civil work and charity work etc but there's a lot of ordinary people that do the sane thing and haven't beensilver spooned their whole life

donquixotedelamancha Fri 10-Aug-18 14:45:17

AIBU Why do English people curtsy to the royal family?

1. Why English people? Surely it's at least all British people, and more likely most of the Commonwealth? Why pick a particular region of the UK.

2. 50% at most. Men are 'supposed' to bow.

3. We don't all curtsy or bow. I didn't.

there was a photo of Theresa May curtsying to Prince William, of all people. I found it absolutely repulsive.

In fairness TM seems equally awkward in any situation where she needs to interact with people. Watch her being interviewed, that'll really make you cringe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: