Talk

Advanced search

To book a hotel room as a couple and then turn up as a lp with 2 kids?

(202 Posts)
theduchessstill Thu 09-Aug-18 23:27:29

I know it's all been said before, but I'm royally pissed off. I'm trying to book a European break for October half-term to stave off post holiday blues and just in case fucking Brexit makes things more difficult and expensive next year.

I've found cheap flights but hotels are so expensive. I'm just feeling sorry for myself that as the only adult I obviously have to pay for it all but that's just the way it is for me and no one else is to blame (apart from twatty ex, obvs). But then I made the stupid mistake of changing my search terms to two adults instead of one adult and two children and the price came down nearly £50 for the room I was looking at. It's like being penalised for being single and a parent. I don't even get the logic of it. Makes me laugh how they tell you to out the kids' ages in 'to get the best deals.' Yeah right hmm

WIBU to book the cheaper rate and then turn up with the dc?

HollowTalk Thu 09-Aug-18 23:28:22

What kind of hotel is it? I doubt they'd notice, really.

user139328237 Thu 09-Aug-18 23:38:34

If you mean £50 for the whole stay that is likely to be about the same as the cost of breakfast for one extra person for 7 days in many so if the rate includes breakfast on a per person basis it is hardly surprising or unfair that the cost is different for 3 people compared to 2 people.

theduchessstill Thu 09-Aug-18 23:43:08

The whole cost isn't £50 (I bloody wish it were), that's how much cheaper it is for two adults to go as opposed to one hmm. It's the cheapest possible rate with no breakfast included, no cancellations etc, and that's why it seems unfair. I could understand if food was included, but why should I have to pay more for having two kids there compared to two adults being there? Surely it's not to make up for what adults are expected to spend? No one I know pays for extras in these types of hotels (mine bar, normal bar, laundry - they're all rip-offs and I imagine only used by business travellers, so why are singletons punished like this?

theduchessstill Thu 09-Aug-18 23:43:54

mini-bar

Faroutbrussel Thu 09-Aug-18 23:44:38

If the price is cheaper for 2adults + 2kids vs 1 adult + 2 kids then I would definitely book it for the 2+2. Is this what you mean?

I wouldn’t make it 2 adults + 1 child though.

DULLDull Thu 09-Aug-18 23:45:42

I'd do it. You can just say the second person got called away and unsure if they can make it. You're right, it's ridiculous.

spottybetty Thu 09-Aug-18 23:45:43

But a room for 2 adults only has to have one bed in it. A room for one adult and two dc will have to have three beds in it, ie be much bigger. Surely that’s why it’s more expensive?

ThenCameTheFools Thu 09-Aug-18 23:46:35

So you're surprised that 3 people cost more than 2?

nervyuyt Thu 09-Aug-18 23:47:04

No you can't just book for 2 adults and show up as one plus 2 kids

If you book 2 adults and 2 kids you run the risk of getting hit by a cancellation policy somewhere along the line for the missing adult.

Just book for who is going.

SisterNotCisTerf Thu 09-Aug-18 23:47:42

Is one of the children 12 or 13 ish? Last year my son counted as an adult because he turned 12 during our stay. So I had to pay for two adults and a child instead of one adult and two children.

Ignoramusgiganticus Thu 09-Aug-18 23:48:45

Yes, how will you sleep three of you in a room for 2?

agnurse Thu 09-Aug-18 23:49:43

There are a few issues here:

1. Some facilities have requirements that you MUST indicate EVERY person who will be staying in the room. You can be penalized for not doing so.

2. It's VERY important that they know EXACTLY who is staying in case of fire or evacuation. They don't want to be running around looking for people who don't exist or worse, tragically miss someone.

theduchessstill Thu 09-Aug-18 23:50:46

Both kids are younger than 12.

One of the things that annoys me is it states if I book for 1 adult plus 2 kids it will be a double bed and a sofa. So no extra bed - in fact, some of the places in this particular city seem to have just have extra large king size beds for our needs. That suits us fine, but I don't see why I have to pay extra for it!

Faroutbrussel Thu 09-Aug-18 23:51:54

Have you tried air bnb or equivalent site?

Pengggwn Thu 09-Aug-18 23:53:08

Okay, but I assume that if you book for just two adults it will be a bed and no sofa?

SisterNotCisTerf Thu 09-Aug-18 23:54:20

If you do book for 1 adult and two DC then insist on them putting a proper bed in the room for the third person. I’ve been caught a couple of times where they just had a normal double bed for me, a 12 year old boy and an 8 year old boy! Err no thanks! I like to spread out grin

MrBloomsLeftVeg Thu 09-Aug-18 23:54:54

Eh? Nowhere is the OP suggesting that she book a room for 2 and turn up as 3.
She says booking 2 adults and 2 children is cheaper (family room) than single adult and two kids (triple).
I'd go for it and say other adult Couldn't make it

Ignoramusgiganticus Thu 09-Aug-18 23:55:18

The sofa won't be made up as a bed if they are expecting 2 adults.

woollyheart Thu 09-Aug-18 23:55:56

If you book rooms directly with the hotel in Europe, they usually charge you for the room, not per person. So, it wouldn’t worry them if you had one person or two in the room. If you are ok with 2 children sharing beds, you would probably be fine. If you wanted a room with three beds, you would expect to pay more than a room with one or two beds.

AlexanderHamilton Thu 09-Aug-18 23:56:23

I’ve booked for two adults in this country when it's been just me & Dd & we’ve had twin beds.

But I don’t think you can book two adults & 3 if you turn up. 2 adults & 1 child would be acceptable.

Pengggwn Thu 09-Aug-18 23:57:09

MrBloomsLeftVeg

No, I don't think she is. I think she is saying a room for two adults is cheaper than a room for one adult and two children.

I could be wrong.

theduchessstill Thu 09-Aug-18 23:58:36

I'm making myself rage now. Just looked on another site and searched adult plus two kids - all extortionate. Searched 3 adults in room - prices remain about the same. Searched two adults and prices plummet down and there are a couple I can afford.

How the fuck is it fair that a adult and two kids costs the same as 3 adults??!

nervyuyt Thu 09-Aug-18 23:58:43

Eh? Nowhere is the OP suggesting that she book a room for 2 and turn up as 3.

Actually, it isn't very clear what OP is saying....

changing my search terms to two adults instead of one adult and two children

That makes it sound exactly like booking for 2 adults rather than 1 adult and 2 children.

nervyuyt Thu 09-Aug-18 23:59:42

How the fuck is it fair that a adult and two kids costs the same as 3 adults??!

Are you actually being serious?

How the fuck does 3 people cost the same as 3 people.

Please think about it ffs

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: