Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think camping is f*cking shit, it’s not cheap and it’s not fun

(477 Posts)
Pumkinfailure Wed 08-Aug-18 18:58:00

I’m currently a week into a 3 week camping tour of Europe and I’m ready to jack it in. I surely can’t be the only one to find this whole malarkey fucking hideous. Sleeping on a sloping bed in a tent hotter than the devils furnace, kids screaming day and night, neighbours who hate our wellbehaved Placid lab and have instructed us to keep him near to us at all times, never feeling clean, marriage hanging by a thread, no personal space or time alone. Not even wine is helping. And 50 bloody euros a night for the privilege!!
Please tell me I’m not alone on my detest for this form of holiday and share your tips to help me survive the rest of the holiday!

Cauliflowersqueeze Wed 08-Aug-18 18:59:16

Tell me you didn’t arrive at your campsite at midnight and get told off by a 6 year old!

Justwaitingforaline Wed 08-Aug-18 18:59:39

AMEN to that!

We’ve just come back from two night and my goodness, that was long enough.

Three weeks is a long, long time to be without home comforts.

MrSpock Wed 08-Aug-18 18:59:51

I hate camping. Bloody awful.

I prefer holidays in lodges and cottages in the woods where I can enjoy nature but still have a nice bed and decent kitchen!

LEMtheoriginal Wed 08-Aug-18 19:00:03

I love camping i really do but the noise...
Fuck sake

bettybyebye Wed 08-Aug-18 19:00:20

Well I love be campsing but I think 3 weeks of it would tip even me over the edge so YANBUgrin 6 nights is about my limit.
Wine and gin are the only suggestions I have!

bettybyebye Wed 08-Aug-18 19:00:55

Well I love camping ...I should preview posts!

Sailinghappy Wed 08-Aug-18 19:01:13

Ohhhhh I loathe camping! 3 weeks sounds like a very long time!!!!

sexnotgender Wed 08-Aug-18 19:01:23

It’s never particularly enticed me. I love the outdoors but I like going back to a comfy bed and a hot shower afterwards!

TheWernethWife Wed 08-Aug-18 19:02:02

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go camping. Give me a nice hotel, comfy bed and hot water, bliss.

2gorgeousboys Wed 08-Aug-18 19:02:08

I don't love camping but don't hate it and DH and DS2 love it. I can however only cope with a max of 3 nights.

TedAndLola Wed 08-Aug-18 19:02:39

YANBU! Camping is not, and never will be, a holiday.

Titsywoo Wed 08-Aug-18 19:02:53

3 weeks?! Are you insane? 3 nights is my limit. I will only go if there is a big group of us so the kids have loads of friends to play with and I have friends to laugh and get drunk with. We go once a year and although it's not relaxing it is pretty good fun.

BoogieFeet Wed 08-Aug-18 19:03:10

YANBU

serbska Wed 08-Aug-18 19:03:17

I love camping but THREE WEEKS???

That’s too much. Also the set up and set down is a pain and on a tour you’re doing that all the time.

A nice site, one week. Lovely. And make sure you have a comfy bed solution.

LaGattaNera Wed 08-Aug-18 19:03:36

Camping is rubbish OP and how is zipping up a tent safe at night? I never understand that. Noisy, basic, baking hot. horrid.

tillytoodles1 Wed 08-Aug-18 19:04:06

I've never been camping, caravanning was bad enough.

DameSquashalot Wed 08-Aug-18 19:04:14

I love glamping. All the fun of camping, but with a comfy bed.

HolyMountain Wed 08-Aug-18 19:05:01

We’ve never camped, I always felt a bit guilty not giving my three ds’s that experience when they were children but fuck that !

I like a bed, a hairdryer and a loo all to myself.

Keep drinking all of the wine!

MorrisDancingViv Wed 08-Aug-18 19:06:15

2-3 nights is a fun adventure. 3 weeks though - you're mad!!!

doris9034 Wed 08-Aug-18 19:06:23

Well we did 8 weeks in the tiniest tent imaginable all around Europe on a motorbike - was the best time of our lives!!!!

LeighaJ Wed 08-Aug-18 19:06:33

I absolutely loathe camping. It was the only kind of holiday we could afford when I was growing up (it was actually cheap though). I disliked everything about it except roasting marshmallows. I've never gone camping as an adult.

Pumkinfailure Wed 08-Aug-18 19:06:41

I am literally on the edge. I feel like I’ve got PMT x1000. I’m currently scouring air BnB to find somewhere to move to.
My husband loves camping and can sleep anywhere, he thinks I’m a snowflake.

Soulless Wed 08-Aug-18 19:06:51

Camping on campsite sucks major shitty arse.
Camping wild in the middle of nowhere just the tent and the stars and the woods.. much better.

MsHopey Wed 08-Aug-18 19:07:07

I'm ready to go home after 2 weeks all inclusive.
3 weeks camping sounds like my actual worst nightmare 😫
I like my home comforts too much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: