Talk

Advanced search

For wanting to ring dd’s boss up and tear her a new arsehole?

(228 Posts)
NicoAndTheNiners Wed 08-Aug-18 17:33:04

I won’t actually do it but feel like it.

Dd is 17yo, in sixth form. Good, polite, hard working kid. She’s been desperate for a job and heard that a business in the village was employing.

I had slight reservations as I know this business gets through staff quickly and I’ve also seen them asking for people to work unpaid for a week on trial before potentially getting a job.

Anyway dd started working for them on a Sunday. Gets £25 for 8 hours so not even minimum wage which isn’t good. No break either. But enjoys the work and gets on with the manager ok. Manager told dd she was the best person they’d had in ages and was professional as she works hard and isn’t on her phone like others have been.

She was asked if she wanted more work over the summer and texted back to say she could work but not Tuesdays or Saturdays. They texted her back saying they wanted her to work this Tuesday (2 days before). She had plans but didn’t want to upset them so texted back and said she could work but only till 12. So did 4 hours work.

During this shift the manager made her aware of some comments that the business owner had written in a staff handbook about dd. Dd said it was an A4 page of ranting saying that dds work the previous weekend had not been up to scratch. Lots of swearing, “I’m fucking sick of x, she’s a fucking lazy bitch and I’m running out of patience”.

Dd has only told me today and broke down in tears. She says it’s not even true. She did everything she was supposed to do and spent 4 hours making the place spotless. The business involves animals and the boss was basically mad because the next morning there was animal poo about.....odd that dd finishes at 4pm so by the next morning the animals will have produced more shit. Dd Is adamant she cleaned all the poo up on her shift.

When she finished at 12 the owner refused to pay her anything because she said she hadn’t done a full shift. They’ve asked dd to work next Tuesday and said they’re doing it to teach a lesson because if she was an adult she would have to prioritise her job over driving lessons. Dd has told them she can only work the morning again and says she will do it even though she doesn’t think they will pay her again.

I’ve told her not to go back. I’ve offered to ring up and either politely or ideally not very politely tell them she won’t be coming back. I really want to ring the woman up and say I think she’s a disgusting excuse of a human who is bullying a teenager and not even paying her. I’m fucking furious. Dd says she doesn’t want any conflict and will just carry on working until the end of the summer and then tell them she needs to stop,work to concentrate on a levels.

I’m certainly planning on reporting them to whoever cares about minimum wage breaches.

HollowTalk Wed 08-Aug-18 17:35:27

I would go in and wouldn't leave until she gave me her wages. It's outright bullying.

BubblesThaDragoon Wed 08-Aug-18 17:35:54

Ring ACAS no break is illegal!! Plus not even minimum wage. Her boss sounds like she’s taking advantage and frankly awful

delphguelph Wed 08-Aug-18 17:36:25

Er, no, she cannot carry on working there.

I wouldn't call up, I'd go to trading standards about the minimum wage thing.

WorldCupnovice Wed 08-Aug-18 17:36:48

Definitely report to trading standards( so whoever) this is not acceptable.

delphguelph Wed 08-Aug-18 17:37:21

Dd says she doesn’t want any conflict and will just carry on working until the end of the summer and then tell them she needs to stop,work to concentrate on a levels.

^
She doesn't need to tell them. Just don't show up.

WorldCupnovice Wed 08-Aug-18 17:37:34

Or whoever - not so!

backaftera2yearbreak Wed 08-Aug-18 17:37:43

Report for not paying minimum wage for sure. I’m torn about you phoning her. As a parent I’d want to get my point over about how badly she had treated my child. But your daughters 17 and just learned a lesson about how awful people can be and should call herself and say she won’t be back. Can you name and Shame on Facebook maybe?

Orlandointhewilderness Wed 08-Aug-18 17:38:06

that is illegal and bullying. not on a stable yard is she...!? there are some awful ones out there who down right exploit young workers.

greathat Wed 08-Aug-18 17:38:33

Does min wage apply to 17 year olds? Sounds awful. I wouldn't let her go back and I'd tell them why!

LEMtheoriginal Wed 08-Aug-18 17:38:36

They are clearly breaking rules left right and center - i'd not allow my dd to go back and id be reporting. Is it at a stables?

monkeysox Wed 08-Aug-18 17:38:40

Under 18s aren't supposed to clean poo up. Poor kid

Janni01 Wed 08-Aug-18 17:39:03

I'm sorry you let your daughter work for less then minimum wage?

Report them, get her out of there

DameSquashalot Wed 08-Aug-18 17:39:22

What an awful woman. Your DD sounds like she has a great attitude, but she shouldn't go back.

CrabbityRabbit Wed 08-Aug-18 17:40:32

HMRC are in charge of policing NMW. You can dob them in online.

Lynne1Cat Wed 08-Aug-18 17:40:50

I had a similar thing with my son when he was that age (he's now in his 30s). I went there, gave them a "round of fucks" as they call it, and told them my son wouldn't be going again. I also reported them to ACAS, about not paying him properly. Bastards. Stand up for your girl. She's only a kid.

Greyhound22 Wed 08-Aug-18 17:40:51

Is she working as a groom at a stables by any chance? It's a big topic as it's a totally unregulated area and loads use young girls who love being by the ponies as cheap labour and treat them appallingly. They don't seem to think NMW exists.

If it is there is an association you may want to report to. I have the details if you want them smile

Janni01 Wed 08-Aug-18 17:41:37

That came out sounding more judgemental then I wanted it too.

Get her out and don't let her back. Regardless of how much money she could earn, or the experience she could put on her CV, working 8 hours for 25 pound is not ok and she needs to know that what they're doing is illegal and she shouldn't work like this.

Showergel1 Wed 08-Aug-18 17:41:37

Similar story in the news a few weeks back. I had shitty jobs when I was younger but at the very least I earn minimum wage.

There is no point to this job. She's not earning minimum wage. She's not getting any breaks. She's not working convenient shifts and whilst she may be gaining skills there's no way a place like this will be bothered to do her a reference so anything she may learn won't be backed up by the employer anyway.
Zero point. Enjoy the holidays.

ToadsforJustice Wed 08-Aug-18 17:42:20

I believe it's £4.20 an hour for under 18.

Bluelady Wed 08-Aug-18 17:42:31

Tell her not go. Nobody should have to put up with that. Small wonder the bitch can't keep staff.

lanbro Wed 08-Aug-18 17:43:29

HMRC asap and they will do a NMW investigation. They will have to pay staff anything owed plus a hefty fine, and be publicised.

NicoAndTheNiners Wed 08-Aug-18 17:43:41

Not a stables, it’s a boarding kennels.

I don’t “let” her work for less than minimum wage. She’s 17yo, nearly 18yo and made her own mind up. We had a discussion about it but I can’t stop her.

WhatYouGonnaDoKatie Wed 08-Aug-18 17:44:07

Is it stables?
I used to work at a yard each Saturday for £20 cash in hand from 13-16, but did it because I loved horses (and would have probably done it unpaid if they asked!)
However, if she’s not enjoying it I would tell her to quit, it doesn’t sound like a nice atmosphere and not paying her the half shift if they’d agreed it is wrong.

NicoAndTheNiners Wed 08-Aug-18 17:44:32

I will definitely report to hmrc. Thanks, wasn’t sure who to report it to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: