Talk

Advanced search

To feel nobody should watch the new Netflix show "insatiable"

(153 Posts)
spanishrobot Wed 08-Aug-18 11:43:07

I'm a young woman who like many other young women in my generation has struggled with weight issues and ED's.

This new Netflix show is about an unpopular "fat" girl who becomes skinny over a summer break and goes on to become popular. There was a huge petition by a young woman named Florence Given who tried to get the show cancelled due to a huge proportion of young girls and women speaking out saying the advert for the show alone was enough to trigger their eating disorder. I believe it got over a hundred thousand signatures.

The show has gone on to be shown on Netflix and I honestly dread to think of how many young girls would be influenced by the poor story line. Why in 2018 are we still telling young women the only way they will be attractive and liked is if they are skinny and attractive? I find it horrifying.

spanishrobot Wed 08-Aug-18 11:44:14

Sorry f*cked up at the end there. I mean to say why are we telling young girls they will only be attractive if they are super skinny? You catch my drift!!!

KoolAidPickle Wed 08-Aug-18 11:50:13

Telling everyone not to watch a programme you haven't seen and don't even understand the content of is idiotic in the extreme.

A hundred thousand twats wanted to ban a programme they hadn't even seen, and you think this is evidence that we should blindly follow them and also call for censorship?

jog on. FFS.

Procrastination4 Wed 08-Aug-18 11:50:54

It’s just a film like hundreds that went before it (ugly duckling turns beautiful over the summer/small chubby guy who is a figure of fun to his peers turns into attractive adult ten years later, etc). Shallow Hal, I would have thought, was rather risky.
People don’t have to watch these films if they choose not to. I absolutely hate horrors, as they give me nightmares. I’ve managed very successfully to avoid them for over twenty years. If I had a problem with my weight/eating disorder, I wouldn’t watch this.

WhentheDealGoesDown Wed 08-Aug-18 11:53:02

Crikey, better watch it then. I'll put it on my list

CrispbuttyNo1 Wed 08-Aug-18 11:53:07

I dont see what is wrong in losing weight if you are fat and actually need to lose weight. It isnt bad for you.

WhentheDealGoesDown Wed 08-Aug-18 11:54:42

Don't you realise OP that drawing attention to something is probably going to make more people watch it

Racecardriver Wed 08-Aug-18 11:55:58

Have you actually watched it though? I would imagine it's very different to the skinny=popular=happy story line you have imagined.

mmmgoats Wed 08-Aug-18 11:56:35

I could be wrong but my understanding is that it illustrates the point that losing weight doesn't solve all your problems.
So she loses a lot of weight because in her mind it will fix everything, and some things it does, but her main issues are still there because that's not the way to deal with it...
Could be way off the mark though.

KoolAidPickle Wed 08-Aug-18 11:57:52

OP and her censoring crowd have mistaken the SUBJECT of a joke with the TARGET of a joke, like many Mary Whitehouse types before her.

SavannahSky Wed 08-Aug-18 12:01:19

She 'becomes skinny over the summer break'

Or

Reduces her weight to a healthy weight, as humans are designed to be?

There's a difference

SavannahSky Wed 08-Aug-18 12:02:03

Then your next post says 'super skinny'

You sound confused

Quartz2208 Wed 08-Aug-18 12:06:35

Debby Ryan though to be fair who plays the lead isnt super skinny she is a normal healthy weight

and its suppose to be a satire is it not highlighting all of this

FissionChips Wed 08-Aug-18 12:07:17

I’ve just watched the trailer for it on Netflix, I can’t see how that trailer could possible set off an ED.

MasonJar Wed 08-Aug-18 12:20:09

I hadn't heard of it but looks interesting so will probably watch. Thanks OP.

dadshere Wed 08-Aug-18 12:20:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Racoon100 Wed 08-Aug-18 12:32:35

Yeh I really want to watch this now, sounds pretty interesting!

DistanceCall Wed 08-Aug-18 12:33:51

I live in Spain. Where the press and films and TV were censored for 40 years.

I loathe censorship of any kind. You don't want to watch it, fine. But let other people judge for themselves.

ThisCannotBe Wed 08-Aug-18 12:35:22

Just don't bloody watch it. If we banned everything that could potentially offend someone about something we'd have nothing left. You are being ridiculously unreasonable.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Wed 08-Aug-18 12:35:29

How can you have an opinion on something you haven’t seen, OP?

I’m quite uncomfortable with that and I prefer to make an informed decision on something after I’ve seen it.

LoveIsNotInTheAir Wed 08-Aug-18 12:35:33

More people just looking for something to be offended by! I think you’ll find the actual storyline is totally different to what everyone has assumed. Even if it wasn’t - don’t like the sound of it? Just don’t watch it!

I give up with people these days. Utterly ridiculous.

WorraLiberty Wed 08-Aug-18 12:36:24

Dear god there are 100 million things you could call for a ban on if you really thought deeply about it.

It's entertainment. No-one's forced to watch it.

greendale17 Wed 08-Aug-18 12:37:33

*There was a huge petition by a young woman named Florence Given who tried to get the show cancelled due to a huge proportion of young girls and women speaking out saying the advert for the show alone was enough to trigger their eating disorder.*

^Really? Because they have bigger issues at play if they can’t even watch a show about a girl losing weight.

AnnieAnoniMoose Wed 08-Aug-18 12:38:15

Don’t be the ridiculous.

MotsDHeureGoussesRames Wed 08-Aug-18 12:39:40

Sorry, I agree with PPs. This nanny state culture of entitlement is really starting to grate! What will we have left on TV if we ban everything which might be 'triggering' for people?! It's ridiculous. Exercise your right of choice not to watch it, but don't try to inflict your snowflakeness on everyone else. Having an ED is horrible but you have to take responsibility for your own MH, not expect everyone else to tiptoe around you or not have the right of choice in case it offends you. I echo PPs - this notion that we should all be happy with our shape amd size, no matter how unhealthy, is damaging BS. Nobody has the right to fat shame anyone else but those who are overweight also don't have the right to call 'victim' is it is pointed out to them, in the right context and by an appropriate person, that their health is at risk. I am on the edge of being overweight according to BMI and I am definitely overweight according to what I know is ideal for my body shape and height but that's because I'm not exercising enough and eating too many calories. I wouldn't dream of trying to censor anything advocating weight loss or reminding me that it would be healthier for me to drop some pounds - because it's true!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: