Talk

Advanced search

To be cheesed off with 'childfree' bragging

(243 Posts)
lunaboona Fri 03-Aug-18 17:31:40

Childless ( by choice ) or 'childfree' and that's what she refers to herself as , forever sharing quotes about how lucky she is to travel / have money / drink cocktails whenever she wants , she'll never be a boring house wife etc AIBU to find this annoying and slightly insulting? As I juggle the house / my job and 2 'brats ' 😣🙄🤔

I'm totally on side with any woman that makes that choice , I respect that and in no way think women should be expected to or pressured into having children , I would defend anyone being challenged for making a decision not to have children as it's up to them, and no one should question them but what annoys the shit out of me is the superior attitude almost laughing at those of us up to our eyeballs in washing and crappy nappies 😕

Pengggwn Fri 03-Aug-18 17:32:34

Who are you talking about?

nervousnails Fri 03-Aug-18 17:32:57

You're taking this personally. Why? Are the quotes meant for you?

MissP103 Fri 03-Aug-18 17:33:12

She sounds insecure but it seems like you think shes right, because why else would this even bother you.

PaulRuddislush Fri 03-Aug-18 17:34:16

Just ignore her then, you sound really bitter.

converseandjeans Fri 03-Aug-18 17:34:47

YAB a bit U as I think it is hard for childfree people when all their mates are no longer available for going out/chat/shopping and people fill their FB and Insta posts with pictures of their amazing off-spring. So I think fair play.

Frogscotch7 Fri 03-Aug-18 17:36:07

People who post memes and quotes on social media are trying desperately to make themselves feel better the only way they know how. It’s not about you.

MonaLisaSimpson Fri 03-Aug-18 17:36:56

Tbh I would assume that somebody making such a big deal about not having children is overcompensating and us actually not happy about it. Most people I know who don't have children just don't mention not having them iyswim.

lunaboona Fri 03-Aug-18 17:39:02

It's a friend of mine , who I do love dearly but the constant insta quotes are getting up my nose -the way she feels sorry for people for the choice they made to have children and how lucky she feels to be free.
I don't think you're getting it

NataliaOsipova Fri 03-Aug-18 17:40:03

I think you're taking it all too personally. if you don't like what she posts on social media (and she does sound like a self absorbed twit), just block her.

lunaboona Fri 03-Aug-18 17:40:24

She's suggesting that people with kids are boring / sad / have no life -which I think is unfair

PaulRuddislush Fri 03-Aug-18 17:41:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ahouseofleaves Fri 03-Aug-18 17:41:43

Just unfollow her. You do sound a bit bitter. I think probably you're not, but then don't let it get to you. You have different priorities in life. Work around it, if you can, or take a break from the friendship and tell her why.

LilMadAgain Fri 03-Aug-18 17:41:54

I agree with Mona Lisa, I have neighbours who have no children but are a) happy and b) completely lovely people who never rub my 'boring and vanilla' life with my son and husband but on the other hand I have a former friend who constantly says that parents are all shit people with shit kids and her furbabies are more precious than diamonds... hmm If you're happy op do you really care what this person thinks?

JumbleJamba Fri 03-Aug-18 17:41:56

Agree with MonaLisa, if someone is so very vocal about being 'childfree' I would hazard a guess that they've probably had a hard time coming to terms with that state and probably need your sympathy. Don't grudge then their luxuries. I wouldn't swap my babies for all the cocktails and holidays in the world.

jelliebelly Fri 03-Aug-18 17:42:11

I think you're being a bit unreasonable actually. She's probably sick to death of everybody else posting (presume we are talking social media) about how wonderful their dh/dc are and how great family life is so is making a point. Or she's overcompensating as she would love the life of dh/dc but is making the most of what she has. I for one am jealous tbh

Foslady Fri 03-Aug-18 17:42:12

If that’s the way you think she views you, call her out on it, tell her that if she feels your life isn’t good enough for her then here’s your coat, love!

Tailfeather Fri 03-Aug-18 17:42:19

Is she outright saying that? Maybe she's envious? It's the same as mums posting saying how amazing it is to be a mum and constant mummy/baby/child posts and memes. That can come across to childless women as having their faces rubbed in it.

Pengggwn Fri 03-Aug-18 17:42:28

She's suggesting that people with kids are boring / sad / have no life -which I think is unfair

Well, she's got me bang to rights! 😂

BillywilliamV Fri 03-Aug-18 17:43:04

There is a woman at work with a mug "Greatest Dog Mum" . I think it is the saddest thing I have ever seen

lunaboona Fri 03-Aug-18 17:43:18

Any #blessed bragging posts do my head in -maybe I should just come off social media all together as it's literally all pissing me off

NataliaOsipova Fri 03-Aug-18 17:43:22

Tbh I would assume that somebody making such a big deal about not having children is overcompensating and us actually not happy about it. Most people I know who don't have children just don't mention not having them iyswim.

I'd agree with this, actually. if you must respond, just say "Good for you. But I feel incredibly lucky to have my children." She doesn't sound like someone I'd want to be friends with, to be honest.

BlueBug45 Fri 03-Aug-18 17:43:23

I don't like people who brag about their children and I don't like people who brag about their child-free life either. So I don't follow such people on social media.

I do follow people who mention their children and others who have no children but they don't brag about their lifestyles. Incidentally I know from meeting them and talking to them their lifestyles are better than the braggers.

LilMadAgain Fri 03-Aug-18 17:43:27

*who never rub my boring and vanilla life with my son and husband in my face

AnduinsGirl Fri 03-Aug-18 17:43:44

I think you're being unreasonable - there's a good chance her FB is awash with parents posting pictures ad nauseam of their little darlings, telling the world how their babies are their whole world, etc. Mine certainly is. So what if she's chosen a different pathway and is proud of that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: