Talk

Advanced search

DS has applied to a "no cooking" university. He loves cooking. This is madness, isn't it?

(444 Posts)
Thesearepearls Mon 23-Jul-18 21:12:33

Just that really. DS's first choice university (we've just done the application for halls) is a no-cooking university. The cooking facilities comprise a toaster, kettle and microwave. There is no cooking allowed for the entirety of his university course.

If you'd asked me what DS would do in a future life I would have given you two choices. The first is singing (he was a cathedral chorister and loves classical music). The second is that he would be a chef. He is absolutely gutted that he won't be able to cook. He cooks for us all the time. He's really keen on it and he is beyond disappointed that the next three years of his academic career will involve zero cooking.

It's total madness isn't it?

MVLipwig Mon 23-Jul-18 21:13:32

Is this in the UK? Does he have to stay in halls for the duration of his course? I really can’t get my head around that

Racecardriver Mon 23-Jul-18 21:14:06

Most people only do halls for the first year.

BerysWheel Mon 23-Jul-18 21:14:22

Why did he choose that uni then? He could surely have found out that there were no uncatered halls before he chose it?

Also - what university is this that he's living in halls for all three years. Cambridge?

ProudThrilledHappy Mon 23-Jul-18 21:14:36

Dont most students leave halls after first year? That was the standard at mine although we are talking years ago.

He can always use the time to challenge himself to make really interesting meals using only that equipment- may be a useful book of recipes in it for bedsit living grin

Katinkka Mon 23-Jul-18 21:14:44

Halls are just for first years aren’t they?

iveburntthetoast Mon 23-Jul-18 21:15:01

Does he envisage being in halls for all three years? Most students move into shared houses/flats from second year.

BerysWheel Mon 23-Jul-18 21:15:14

Anyway, he'll only be there for half the year anyway. He can cook when he's home.

Basta Mon 23-Jul-18 21:15:17

I've never heard of such a thing, but surely he doesn't have to live in halls for the whole course?

SoyDora Mon 23-Jul-18 21:15:29

As above... halls are for first year aren’t they?

annandale Mon 23-Jul-18 21:15:49

Buy him a microwave cookery book. Tbh he could write a book about what you can cook with that equipment.

drivingmisspotty Mon 23-Jul-18 21:15:57

Does sound a bit mad not to have the choice. Will he be in halls all 3 yrs then? Oxbridge? They have very long holidays so he will hardly be there.

Or if he misses cooking he could try and make some friends with their own kitchens/volunteer at a soup kitchen or community cafe/ see if he can find foodie meet ups online/ buy a ‘microwave cookery’ book and perfect his skills?

SoyDora Mon 23-Jul-18 21:16:01

But yes, they’re only at uni for 6 months of the year anyway! Leaves 6 months for cooking smile

WhatKatyDidnt Mon 23-Jul-18 21:16:06

Meh. It’s three years, and only a few months of those years as well. If the uni’s right in other respects, I wouldn’t let this be a deal breaker.

BerysWheel Mon 23-Jul-18 21:17:31

What is 'total madness' is the fact that he applied there without researching whether the halls had cooking facilities.

It was his flipping decision.

wellBeehivedWoman Mon 23-Jul-18 21:18:35

It's very unusual to be in halls for the duration of uni - is it not just one year?

AveAtqueVale Mon 23-Jul-18 21:18:45

Is it Cambridge? If so, he’ll still cook. I was in a ‘no cooking’ college and we cooked quite a lot tbh. So much so my friend managed to set fire to the Grade 1 listed tower she lived in.

Get him a remoska - it’s amazing what you can cook in them!

SueDunome Mon 23-Jul-18 21:19:06

Oxford, Cambridge or possibly Durham? I'm guessing that's why he's chosen the university.

ClarkWGriswold Mon 23-Jul-18 21:19:07

Is this in the States? The halls for my study abroad year there were catered only. No cooking equipment whatsoever. We survived.

Thesearepearls Mon 23-Jul-18 21:19:21

Halls for all three years. No cooking allowed. He will be in a good position to produce a microwave cookbook of course. And of course he can (and will be vociferously encouraged) to cook at home.

The whole concept is bonkers though. DD is at Newcastle and she's a can't cook won't cook sort of person. For DS who loves cooking more than most, it's a particular hardship.

wellBeehivedWoman Mon 23-Jul-18 21:19:43

Even oxbridge students tend to move out of halls after first year

wellBeehivedWoman Mon 23-Jul-18 21:20:09

So halls are compulsory?! which uni is it?

bridgetreilly Mon 23-Jul-18 21:21:26

I can't think of an Oxford college where that would be the case, though I'd be willing to believe there might be one. But it's definitely not the norm there, even if you're in college-owned accommodation all three years. At least one or two of those would probably be in college houses with perfectly normal kitchens.

BerysWheel Mon 23-Jul-18 21:21:26

Which university?

BerysWheel Mon 23-Jul-18 21:22:32

For DS who loves cooking more than most, it's a particular hardship

Then why did he choose that university? Information about halls and catering facilities is readily available online. It should have been one of the criteria he looked at.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: