Talk

Advanced search

To think people are uneducated about weight loss?

(104 Posts)
iliveinchucks Sat 21-Jul-18 21:43:58

Someone posted in a weight loss I used to follow that they were doing the keto diet (low to zero carbs) and they could have as much oil, mayonnaise and butter as they wanted as there was no calorie counting but now they’ve switched to this diet and finally seeing results.

Aibu to think no wonder you weren’t seeing results if you weren’t tracking your calories whilst eating high fat food? hmm

DianaT1969 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:49:50

Your OP isn't clear. Did the person get results when not calorie counting?
Lots of people lose weight following a keto diet and they don't calorie-count. Check out their stories on Diet Doctor website.

iliveinchucks Sat 21-Jul-18 21:52:20

She didn’t get results

Boulshired Sat 21-Jul-18 21:52:40

Lots of people do Keto without calorie counting and are successful.

WeShouldOpenABar Sat 21-Jul-18 21:54:42

Yes you're uneducated about weight loss I've lost weight on keto without counting calories loads of people have

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 21-Jul-18 21:54:47

I find my appetite goes down if I eat less carbs and more fat and protein. Some people don't.

iliveinchucks Sat 21-Jul-18 21:54:57

Eating 5000 calories a day and losing weight?

museumum Sat 21-Jul-18 21:57:40

You are supposed to eat to hunger on keto and fat triggers satiety. So should be ok for most and lead to relatively sensible calorie intakes.

However for those capable of binging 5000 calories of mayonnaise with no bread or chips it won’t work.

Plural Sat 21-Jul-18 21:57:42

People tend to lose weight on keto because they are satiated and naturally eat less calorie, but ultimately it does come down to calories

notanurse2017 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:58:20

If the person wasn’t calorie counting, how do YOU know that it was 5000 calories a day that they were consuming?

Kolo Sat 21-Jul-18 21:59:29

Maybe people always want to trick the system? People generally seem to know that you need to eat less calories than you expend in order to lose weight. But some ‘diets’ claim that you don’t need to count calories. Perhaps that’s all fine if you’re a normal eater, but I’m definitely an emotional eater. If someone gives me free reign to eat fatty food, I’ll (not literally) bite their hand off! Feeling full has never stopped me from carrying on eating cheese 😬

ShapelyBingoWing Sat 21-Jul-18 21:59:39

I'm not calorie counting. I've still shifted the best part of 4 stone.

Not really sure why you think calorie counting is what leads to weight loss rather than ways of eating that facilitate a calorie reduction.

SilverDoe Sat 21-Jul-18 22:00:24

No YABU. I don’t want to sound judgemental and this comes from a good place as I’m trying to lose a lot of baby weight but I’m surprised at the number of normal intelligent adults I’ve spoken with who think that there is a kind of “diet food” and that just eating that will make you thin.

In one sense it is nitpicky because it is much more logical to eat healthy food, lots of fruit and veg etc for satiety and nourishment, but it is not eating those types of foods in themselves that leads to weight loss - it is solely the calorie deficit created. If you are going to eat a high fat diet then you still need to calorie count - but yeah with the emergence of trendy diets like Keto, paleo and to a slightly lesser extent intuitive eating, it’s annoying how many people throw out the - “Keto works, you eat as much bacon and butter as you want and the pounds just fall off!” It’s not fair to tell people this as it’s completely wrong advice.

On a bit of a tangent - I hate Keto with a passion. So many people sing it’s praises but it has so many downfalls to me - the main ones being it comes incredibly close to encouraging disordered eating and it eliminates an entire food group, which is not healthy and can put big nutritional gaps in your diet - getting to a point where you can’t eat a couple of pieces of fruit because they have too much sugar in them is insane.

Iamnotacerealkiller Sat 21-Jul-18 22:01:37

I agree with other posters re it being effective. It's the only thing that works for me. You may have a point about education though as the reason lots of people fail on keto is not understanding the science and that 'cheating' on keto effectively resets your chemistry back to burning sugar and you have to start again at the beginning. It isn't as forgiving as other ways of eating as you can't make up for the mistakes in the same way.

I would recommend also you do some reading yourself. You know calories aren't really a thing right? At best a vast over simplification of a very complex biological function. We react differently to different calorie depending on source, quality, our recent eating, hormones, genes, exercise etcetc etc.

Iamnotacerealkiller Sat 21-Jul-18 22:03:28

Try eating 5000 cals of fat. Bet you can't. 5000 of carbs however smile

ghostyslovesheets Sat 21-Jul-18 22:04:43

didn't a recent study show that it's fat not carbs that make you fat - end of?

ghostyslovesheets Sat 21-Jul-18 22:06:05

really sorry for the DM line but www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5958463/Fat-consumption-cause-weight-gain.html

Boulshired Sat 21-Jul-18 22:06:39

All weight loss diets have rules, some people research and follow them some people do not. The person in question has not done thorough research and it failed but it has nothing to do with the effectiveness of Keto.

Birdsgottafly Sat 21-Jul-18 22:09:50

I don't know anything about Keto, but I know people who have started eating 'clean', zero alcohol, only carbs from Veg and limited potatoes and lifted weights and they haven't had to calorie count. It's how we use to live, in a way.

It's only when you calorie count that you can see why you are fat, if there has been previous denial. So I think that you do need to calorie count to understand were your weight is coming from.

MrsJBaptiste Sat 21-Jul-18 22:11:36

I eat low carb / high fat and gave never counted calories. I look at the amount of carbs in food but nothing else. I lost 1.5 stones in a few months.

cardibach Sat 21-Jul-18 22:12:15

There is growing evidence that sugar is what leads to both weight gain and associated medical issues, not fat.
This article summarises 23 separate studies which suggest this.

tabulahrasa Sat 21-Jul-18 22:14:45

“Try eating 5000 cals of fat. Bet you can't.”

In a whole day?... that’s only a block of cheese and a couple of bags of nuts

VladmirsPoutine Sat 21-Jul-18 22:15:24

Tbh I think the whole thing has jumped the shark. It did so a while ago.

Whatever terms and labels people choose to dress it up the fact remains; you need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.

RB68 Sat 21-Jul-18 22:19:13

Sugar is carb, its carbs that are the issue, we eat proportionately too much of the wrong sort in our diets.

Kingkiller Sat 21-Jul-18 22:21:19

I don't think people are that uneducated about weight loss really. They are just bad at sticking to the diet they've chosen, because it's very hard to do long-term. There are lots of different ways of losing weight. Low fat, low carb, low calorie etc. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but they all require more willpower than most people have got. You can sneer at keto as much as you like, but lots of people lose weight on it (temporarily, at least).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: