Talk

Advanced search

School are giving out detentions to kids doing "the floss" WTAF?

(271 Posts)
purpleshimmer Mon 25-Jun-18 23:28:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YesILikeItToo Mon 25-Jun-18 23:31:54

I hadn’t picked up the Fortnite connection. Anyway, dd says it is banned at her school - when I asked her why she said it was because people were doing it in class. Nothing about it being inherently bad.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 25-Jun-18 23:33:50

I suggest you find out the policy from the school before you get angry about it.

Teachers rarely ban things without reason - as if they've not got enough to do.

GreenTulips Mon 25-Jun-18 23:44:31

Good it's annoying. They can do it all they want ar home.

heretohelpGB Mon 25-Jun-18 23:44:48

My kids had a right laugh trying to teach me that recently and NONE of us have ever played fortnite! Didn't even know the connection!

AmazingPostVoices Mon 25-Jun-18 23:46:25

The floss didn’t originate with Fortnite.

Detention seems ridiculous though.

IWantMyHatBack Mon 25-Jun-18 23:47:17

Good, it's irritating.

DrMadelineMaxwell Mon 25-Jun-18 23:48:19

It's bloody irritating, especially when they do it without even realising they are. When they are supposed to be lining up sensibly. While they are waiting to speak to you. When they are speaking to you.

It's this year's fidget spinners and bottle flipping.

It's not something that I'd think was worthy of detention, but maybe persisting in doing it when they know it's not allowed is....

DrMadelineMaxwell Mon 25-Jun-18 23:49:54

One of the other dances from fornight is basically them making the 'loser' sign with their hand on their forehead and capering around.

It has the twin annoyance of looking daft AND looking like they are insulting someone at the same time.

chipsandgin Mon 25-Jun-18 23:52:00

School are giving out detentions to kids who are repeatedly doing something they have been told not to do is what that actually means!

I get it - my son flossed everywhere, all the time until it was banned at school and at several after school activities - where the adults in charge had had enough of them not concentrating on what they were actually supposed to be doing. I totally agree with them. He can floss on his own time (and does, it never stops - although we seem to have moved on to 'orange justice' of late). No problem with the dancing, big problem with the not listening..(and totally agree, it is this years bottle flipping/fidget spinning, it will be long forgotten soon enough).

SumerisIcumenin Mon 25-Jun-18 23:56:52

Yes, I agree with the Dr. It is infuriating when they are constantly jiggling and not focusing on what they should be doing. Fine if they had the self-control to just do it in free time, but it’s a habit they can’t break.

SumerisIcumenin Mon 25-Jun-18 23:58:40

Oh, and you’ve answered a question I had about a big argument that happened in the playground when two girls felt insulted by a capering 5 year old making the Loser sign at them.

GabsAlot Tue 26-Jun-18 00:06:00

i thought it was the backpack boy on youtube who started it

anyway its prob because they cant keep bloody still my dn does it all the time

FrayedHem Tue 26-Jun-18 00:16:30

The way DS2 explained it to me was that the floss dance in Fortnite is used as a taunt. So I can see why schools won't want children doing it, even if some/most are just doing it purely for fun as it has the potential to escalate.

sweeneytoddsrazor Tue 26-Jun-18 00:18:20

Wasn't dabbing banned a couple of years ago as well. If they have been told not to do it then don't do it = no detention simple.

BoomBoomsCousin Tue 26-Jun-18 00:19:47

It does seem to irritate adults (including me!) a lot. Lots of kids have a hard time being still and they tend to be much more repetitive than adults, so fads like this can really grate. But i can’t see a good reason for banning it during breaks and lunch time, so detention for doing at any time does seem, on the face of it, unreasonable. But maybe there have been other problems that you haven’t heard about.

Walkingdeadfangirl Tue 26-Jun-18 00:32:16

YABVU, Fortnite is very addictive and schools kids should not be playing it. School is right to ban it if parents are so stupid as to allow them to play it.

MessyMeTarr Tue 26-Jun-18 00:34:53

Oh god, I find it off the scales irritating. I'd give out detentions for it in my own house if I could. wink

Muddlingalongalone Tue 26-Jun-18 00:42:09

MessyMeTarr i wonder if that's an option. I think dd1 flosses more than she walks at the moment & apparantly an audience is essential....
Banned in the classroom - makes sense, in the playground seems strange to me.
It'll be passe by Sept anyway.

Choccywoccyhooha Tue 26-Jun-18 00:52:07

I was in school doing observations last week and it was bloody everywhere and horribly irritating. Every classroom had kids flossing at some point, from Reception up to Year 6, with lots of them doing it seemingly without even realising. Telling them to stop doing it is wasting teachers' time and is thoroughly exasperating,so banning it across the whole school day seems the sensible thing to do, then there is no grey area of "I was on the way to breaktime," or "the bell had already gone." A blanket ban with a clear consequence makes total sense, that way it isn't open to interpretation and everyone knows the rules.

tripYouOut Tue 26-Jun-18 02:04:32

I'm on a parents private group chat and this has just come to light on there

How bloody silly is this?

Very. You all need a hobby.

Nandocushion Tue 26-Jun-18 03:11:43

No issue with flossing in our school (US) - all the students do it, but they do it while they're talking to the teacher or lining up, and it doesn't seem to interrupt conversation or thought processes (unlike fidget spinners). DS's teacher even did it for the children at an awards ceremony. DS is quite lazy and I'm actually pleased to see him moving about so much - it's more exercise than he's usually keen to get.

lifechangesforever Tue 26-Jun-18 03:21:33

To be fair, it's bloody annoying!!

I was sat in the options waiting room the other day and a child was stood with his mother whilst she was looking at glasses and he did it constantly for 10 minutes. It was like he couldn't stop doing it and just stand still.

lifechangesforever Tue 26-Jun-18 03:23:39

Opticians, not options!

Steeley113 Tue 26-Jun-18 03:42:07

I think it’s funny. My kid flosses and does fortnite dances, for a 5 year old he’s pretty good. I can imagine as a teacher it would wear thin fast though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: