Talk

Advanced search

To think my ds dosnt have asd

(77 Posts)
Usernamehistory2225684 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:26:46

My 2 and a half ur old ds is in the middle of assessment for asd.
He has no words apart from dada ( he lost mama) he understands some like give daddy your shoes etc he gives hugs and kisses his eye contact is poor but better with me. His play is repetitive and can get upset if he’s routine is not the same he still puts things in his mouth he can point to ask and clap when he’s happy. Does he sound like someone with asd?

Sirzy Fri 22-Jun-18 21:29:23

It is impossible to tell from that snapshot.

What I will say though is a child, especially one so young, doesn’t get referred without there being enough to raise concerns. The process will tell you if there is asd, something else or nothing at all. Whatever the outcome though it’s still the same child!

donajimena Fri 22-Jun-18 21:29:38

I'm no expert but I didn't think my son could have ASD because he's affectionate confused the spectrum is huge and you have given little information.

donajimena Fri 22-Jun-18 21:31:28

Sorry that sounds snappy. Its just so difficult to tell as pp said from the info.

Notevilstepmother Fri 22-Jun-18 21:31:37

Possibly, possibility not. See what the assessment finds. There is certainly enough to justify an assessment.

PickAChew Fri 22-Jun-18 21:32:02

He sounds like you need to keep on with the assessment. Eye contact can be a bit of a red herring. Best to have a team of experts look at everything because if he does have ASD, it's best to know before he starts school so you can plan properly and react appropriately to any difficulties encountered.

lucy101101 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:32:34

Honestly he could have it... or he could not.... but presumably someone experienced is concerned enough to want to have him assessed hence it is happening and if there is something up whether ASD or something else (in my opinion) it is better the earlier you find out.

It is painful I know (having been in your position) but you have nothing to lose and everything to gain in terms of support etc.

ShawshanksRedemption Fri 22-Jun-18 21:32:47

He's been referred for assessment so there must be some concerns. Let the assessment run it's course and see from there.

If you haven't already, do take a look on here for types of behaviour that may suggest an ASD diagnosis www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is.aspx

Melliegrantfirstlady Fri 22-Jun-18 21:34:02

How did he end up with an assessment? More symptoms than that are needed where I live to get a referral! Sadly it’s postcode lottery!

Notevilstepmother Fri 22-Jun-18 21:34:13

www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

BurpeesAreTheWorkOfTheDevil Fri 22-Jun-18 21:36:13

He might have asd, he might not

But you are extremely lucky to be having him assessed at this age, please let them assess him fully

AornisHades Fri 22-Jun-18 21:36:58

Is it the loss of words that's triggered the assessment?

PanannyPanoo Fri 22-Jun-18 21:37:16

Why is he being assessed? He is very young for an assessment. It is unlikely he would be having an assessment if a professional didn't think it might be helpful.

He sounds an absolute sweetie. If he does have asd all it will mean is you will be able to get support and advice about how to make life accessible for him. Different approaches are often more effective.

He is still your little boy. There is an enormous difference in people with autism.
He just may need his life to be more structured than most.

Try not to panic. See what the.outcome is and move forwards from there.

Usernamehistory2225684 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:39:57

He has been seeing a pead since he was 18m because of concerns raised by gp had his lack of words and repetitive play. He has had a griffins assessment which scored low for social communication and speech and language

honeyishrunkthekid Fri 22-Jun-18 21:40:55

First of all, it's a worrying thing when this kind in thing happens but please do not worry.

Asd is diagnosed using the Triad of impairment- it's very complicated but what you need to remember is no autistic child is the same. It varies massively. The more support, the better. Work with the team as opposed to against them and don't fight the diagnoses if he gets one.

It can be a scary time but please be assured you are not alone in this. Take the support offered

Usernamehistory2225684 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:41:42

We know how lucky we have been to get support and salt input for over a year now it does seem a postcode lottery

SumerisIcumenin Fri 22-Jun-18 21:41:55

Why do you think he doesn’t?

UgliCat Fri 22-Jun-18 21:43:30

Could be. Nothing you've said excludes it and the repetitive play and routine stuff was a tick in the box for us.

Dds eye contact used to be great (I literally used to joke about how she could never be asd cos she used to gaze into my eyes so much), now not so much. She doesn't point at all tho.
Her speech has improved a lot but is still disordered at times. She's hugely affectionate. Her play is still very repetitive. But..... if you can translate that into music or sports practice then you have a kid that becomes very good.

No one thing is going to be a yes or no.
There will (hypothetically) be a hundred boxes to tick and getting 70 or more would mean he crosses a threshold that means he needs help. Then you get the label. Same kid, just easier to get services for.

Dd wouldn't get a diagnosis today btw, because she's had lots of early intervention - not in the uk.

Usernamehistory2225684 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:44:02

Because he’s saying dada now and understands a bit

emmaluvseeyore Fri 22-Jun-18 21:51:07

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have ASD though. I work with children with severe ASD and they can do those things. I think you just need to go with the assessment and see what happens. He is the same child with or without a diagnosis. The diagnosis just means it is easier to get the support he potentially needs (although sadly this often involves a fight).

Guacamoledip Fri 22-Jun-18 21:54:05

My son was diagnosed at a similar age to yours is. He had a lot of speech, but it was all echolalia, he had great eye contact and was very affectionate.

Autism is a spectrum disorder and everyone on it is very different.

I actually brought up concerns around 18 months and had them dismissed. The a health visitor brought up concerns at his two year check, by this point I was pretty much in denial. He could do things and other things he would do in his own time, that was my thinking.

He went to an assessment centre for a week and was reviewed by various professionals and was diagnosed with ASD. Once in a room with other children, it was really obvious my little boy was different to others. Now I see it as a huge blessing that he got diagnosed so early, he had early intervention and started at a special needs nursery straight away. So many people really have to fight to get a diagnosis, I was lucky.

Let them do the assessment, if he has asd you’ll be lucky you found out early. If he doesn’t have asd then you know the other way. I know it’s scary and probably feels like all your hopes and dreams for your son are being dashed but he’s still your little boy, you will still love him, and you will learn to adjust. Just be kind to yourself.

Atthebottomofthesea Fri 22-Jun-18 21:55:43

When they first mentioned as for my ds it was a bolt from the blue so it isn't always obvious to the parents.

It is good that he is have SALT both for his speech and understanding, my ds could understand 'give the cup to Mummy' but 'go get your hat and put it on' he couldn't. Children can generally follow 2 part commands between 2 and 3.

If he has asd it will be ok, some days are hard, but we get through them. My ds is at mainstream and a whizz at maths and chess. Still can't follow complex level instructions though, but you win some, you lose some.

Melliegrantfirstlady Fri 22-Jun-18 21:57:03

Postcode lottery for sure! My son could barely say a word at 18 mos and I was virtually laughed out of the room when I expressed my concerns.

You have no idea and nor do we if your son has autism. Please be grateful that he is being seen. Most people don’t get a diagnosis til age 7 at the earliest.

Which area are you in or county?

TigerDragonMonkey Fri 22-Jun-18 21:58:34

You can’t rule it out based on what you’ve said, but that doesn’t mean he definitely has it either. Not putting 2 words together by that age is enough to raise some flags and get referred. My DS only said a couple of single words at that age and that’s when he started to go through his assessment. It’s common for kids with ASD to understand more words than they say, and to just be behind in language development and catch up. My DS is still behind in language (he’s 6 now) but is miles ahead of where he was and speaks well - in complete sentences. In another couple of years it will probably be impossible to tell from his language that he has ASD. He’s also super affectionate and loves cuddles, has great eye contact with me, though less so with other people.

CheeseCakeSunflowers Fri 22-Jun-18 22:00:24

Its impossible to say from this information, the only thing that makes me think no is the fact that he points. I remember when my asd ds was that age I was told that pointing was an indication that he would not be on the spectrum. That was quite some time ago so current thinking may be different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: