Talk

Advanced search

To Change My Job Because of Brexit?

(49 Posts)
Zofanjo Fri 22-Jun-18 08:13:44

I work in a professional services field in an agency setting and a lot of my clients are going to feel a massive hit is Brexit happens. We'll be one of the first services they cut.

It's a relatively small business and although I think it can weather the storm, there's going to be job losses I think.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to go to an interview for a job in a much larger, better known agency with much bigger and more stable clients.

I like my job currently and the people I work for, but the brexit impact is a worry. Am I being silly?

The new job is £5k a year better paid and an hour less of a commute 3 days a week (commute is a similar length to now 2 days a week), there's also a better benefits package.

The big kicker is i've only been in my current job since January and leaving will cause a massive problem for my current company.

WWYD?

araiwa Fri 22-Jun-18 08:15:49

Id apply

CaseStudyResearch Fri 22-Jun-18 08:15:58

Just go for the interview and cross that bridge when you come to it.

What would the extra day mean in terms of expenses?

Zofanjo Fri 22-Jun-18 08:18:37

Sorry that bit wasnt clear.

I currently have a 1.5 hour commute each way 4 days a week, and work from home 1 day a week.

The new role I'd be commuting 30mins each way 3 days a week and 1.5 hours each way 2 days a week.

It would be less expensive to travel in the new role.

AntiHop Fri 22-Jun-18 08:19:28

Apply for sure. It's a shame to leave a company you like but benefits of the other job are very clear.

Zofanjo Fri 22-Jun-18 08:24:33

Antihop that's kind of where I'm stuck. I don't need to apply for the new job, I've been head hunted (the guy who's contacted me actually got me my current job when he worked as a recruitment consultant, but since then has moved to work in house at this new place and remembered me from October last year) so I literally need to decide whether I want to accept it or not.

The only thing making me want to leave my current role is the brexit
thing, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't even consider it :/

Dadstheworld Fri 22-Jun-18 08:26:56

Your asking if you should move to a more stable, better paid job with a shorter commute?

Dadstheworld Fri 22-Jun-18 08:27:16

You're*

Dammit

MorningsEleven Fri 22-Jun-18 08:31:05

Take it.

BMW6 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:33:31

The new job pays better and is less of a commute! Brexit is an irrelevance really......

MissionItsPossible Fri 22-Jun-18 08:44:59

I’d do it anyway. You’ll be better off. It’s a no brainier really, isn’t it?

siwel123 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:52:24

Take it.
Better pay.
Better commute.
More stable employment.

What's not to like?
You don't have to be loyal to companies only yourself.

Zofanjo Fri 22-Jun-18 08:54:13

Siwel It's definitely the loyalty thing that's an issue, I have form for that!

DaisyLand Fri 22-Jun-18 08:59:06

Leaving brexit to a side I’d take the job with no hesitation. Better paid , better benefit package, less commute.
Brexit would be the part of my concerns in this scenario

Hobbes8 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:59:41

You’re being loyal to a company that you think might let you go in a year.

It’s great that you don’t have to apply, but surely there’s some sort of process where you can get a feel for whether you’d like to work there?

Also you’re in a pretty strong negotiating position. Ask for what you want. More money? Flexible hours? Maintain your one day working from home?

Racecardriver Fri 22-Jun-18 09:00:59

Apply, its a better job overall not just in the event of an economic crisis (which will likely happen even if brexit goes unexpectedly well).

AsleepAllDay Fri 22-Jun-18 09:03:48

Go for it! Even as a just in case. I think people should be forward planning for Brexit if they're in industries that will be affected, it's clear it's going to be a big mess

siwel123 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:04:05

But you don't need to be loyal.
You need to learn that at the end of the day your employer won't be loyal to you if they need to make cuts so you need to do what's best for you.
And better pay and shorter commute is best

lubeybooby Fri 22-Jun-18 09:17:33

brexit or no brexit it seems a much better option than your current job

Zofanjo Fri 22-Jun-18 09:19:56

Ok, thanks folks.

I get a tour of both offices next week and get to sit down with the MD's for an 'informal chat' before I make any decisions, so I'll see how they go.

Exciting!

RhubarbRhubarbRhubarbRhubarb Fri 22-Jun-18 09:22:26

Yes, accept it. Your company would let you go as soon as they no longer need you. You really don’t owe them any loyalty. It’s just work, not a marriage!

Woliverine Fri 22-Jun-18 09:28:55

More money, better commute, long term security... where's the dilemma?
Good luck OP!

Singlebutmarried Fri 22-Jun-18 09:36:34

I’d stay where you are, why?

Because the recruitment guy took your personal details with him when he left his last role.

Data breach right there.

CardinalSin Fri 22-Jun-18 09:45:18

It took me a while to realise that companies rely on you feeling "loyalty" to them. And that, in general, they don't have the slightest bit of "loyalty" for anyone who works for them.

Take the job.

MissionItsPossible Fri 22-Jun-18 09:46:31

Because the recruitment guy took your personal details with him when he left his last role.

How do you know he took OP's details? I know my old work colleagues emails as it's firstname.lastname@nameofoldcompany.com.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: