Talk

Advanced search

MIL has punished DS because of us

(168 Posts)
gammonsteaks Thu 21-Jun-18 16:29:59

MIL told every single person in her family not to buy my son any birthday presents because we refused to travel 400 miles to be with her on his birthday. They all obeyed her.

AIBU to give up on them all? They are all horrid people anyway.

KTD27 Thu 21-Jun-18 16:30:26

YANBU

SoddingUnicorns Thu 21-Jun-18 16:31:02

I’d go NC with the lot of them. Taking pettiness out on a child? Absolutely horrid thing to do.

MegaClutterSlut Thu 21-Jun-18 16:31:45

Your Mil is a bitch. Yanbu

Namechangedforthispost18 Thu 21-Jun-18 16:31:52

I'd go no contact, how childish?

ProudThrilledHappy Thu 21-Jun-18 16:31:55

No definitely not. If they will “punish” a child in that way they are not worth knowing tbh

CoolGirlsNeverGetAngry Thu 21-Jun-18 16:32:05

Do it. The kind of people who would do that to a child are the kind of people you don’t need in your life.

Oldraver Thu 21-Jun-18 16:32:22

I'm afraid behaviour like that means I will never be putting myself out to travel 400 miles...ever

Justanothernameonthepage Thu 21-Jun-18 16:33:07

YANBU the fact she'd punish her GC out of pettiness and that other people have complied suggests she doesn't really care about them.
Hoping your DC is young enough to not notice and your DH is furious and willing to draw a line.

kazillionaire Thu 21-Jun-18 16:33:37

What a childish and petty person she is, your son is better off without her if she cares so little about his feelings, and the rest of them are as bad for listening to her

LeighaJ Thu 21-Jun-18 16:33:49

Wow, what a horrid lot of sheeple they are.

YANBU to not acknowledge them or their own special occasions in the future. I wouldn't even tell them happy birthday on social media if you use it (I'd also de-friend them).

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Thu 21-Jun-18 16:35:13

How would she have known or stopped them if they did? You aren't the lady with the self appointed present-distributor/gift stealer are you?

The day is about your DC. If she wanted to be a part of it, she could have asked to visit you. Also if DC is school age, that's really disruptive. How selfish and spiteful!

Stars1979 Thu 21-Jun-18 16:35:31

As it was HIS birthday. She should have travelled not you. I would definitely forget about her and the others, awful childish behaviour, life of yours child doesn’t revolve around her!

GratedCarrotStick Thu 21-Jun-18 16:36:16

Yanbu. She is a bitch and the rest are sheep (although that's an insult to sheep) your poor DS what age is he?

SnuggyBuggy Thu 21-Jun-18 16:37:28

Life is too short for people who treat you that way.

XJerseyGirlX Thu 21-Jun-18 16:37:36

Your MIL is a first class cunt..if I were you I would use this charming example to go NC

Idontbelieveinthemoon Thu 21-Jun-18 16:38:07

NC the lot of them. No calls, no texts, no cards, no contact, no guilt. Let them crack on with it. There's nothing bullies hate more (and she's a bully, no question) than when their victim stops engaging, getting upset or even acknowledging the bullying and cuts them off at the knees.

DiplomaticDecorum Thu 21-Jun-18 16:38:08

Is it his birthday today? If so, Happy Birthday, how old is he?

There may be a chance that things have been delayed/delivery is by hand at a later date. Has anybody wished him a happy birthday by email/facebook or whatever? Has she collected gifts and is withholding them until she gets what she wants?

If this all happened a while ago and you've heard nothing from any of them, then ditch the whole damn lot of them. No need for any dramatic statements, just refuse invitations and send a card with a tenner in for birthday/Christmas to any nephews/nieces so no guilt on your side.

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Thu 21-Jun-18 16:38:25

So now you live your lives without giving any of them a second thought.
Guilt free.

acornsandnuts Thu 21-Jun-18 16:39:57

Wow. That is truly awful. How old is he? Will he be aware?

AnneProtheroe Thu 21-Jun-18 16:41:05

That makes Christmas much easier present wise! What a nasty thing to do!

CuriousaboutSamphire Thu 21-Jun-18 16:41:37

Before calling them all and telling them how despicable they are, how do you know that is true?

If you are sure she didn't get them all to drop presents with her, for the party she was going to throw, then have at it, and then go NC - sheeple indeed!

PharrellsEagleTattoo Thu 21-Jun-18 16:42:08

That’s fucking outrageous! Go NC.

KM99 Thu 21-Jun-18 16:42:48

Where to begin? How spiteful of your MIL and are the family all sheep "obeying her"? I'm assuming she has previous ruling the roost with unreasonable behaviour?

They don't sound like the kind of people you or your son need in their lives.

SleepingStandingUp Thu 21-Jun-18 16:43:19

How sure are you that that's why he hasn't had any?
Are you taking husband siblings etc or just extended family?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: