Talk

Advanced search

To think that Charlottle Caldwell may have had uterior motives!?

(23 Posts)
Tallyhooo Thu 21-Jun-18 05:59:19

So, it's now been reported that Billy's mother, who was fighting for his right to medicinal cannabis, as it being witheld was threatening his life, runs a company called 'Billy's Bud' that sells the oil!?

|'ve only just read this so facts are just coming out, but can't help but think there's something off in this story...or am I being cynical....her son is obviously in need but after appearing on every tv programme appealing, 'crowdfunding' videos, sending her to Austrailia….

Something just doesn't seem right in this...a licensing change would be beneficial to her company....I really hope this was not her agenda!!!

Tallyhooo Thu 21-Jun-18 06:00:57

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44547260

NoIWontDoWhatYouSay Thu 21-Jun-18 06:06:19

She sells CBD which is already legal in the UK. You can buy it in Holland and Barrett. What her son takes is a different compound.

Did you not read the article?

Tallyhooo Thu 21-Jun-18 06:09:48

Yes I read it, and watched the interviews, I didn't see her once mention she runs a company around this though?? I'm not questioning the legal status of what she sells...just that she runs a company that profits from the sales of this..

SoaringSwallow Thu 21-Jun-18 06:11:10

Unless you're suggesting she deliberately got her son in hospital to change legislation so she could profit, I don't see what the problem is.

Her son is clearly unwell. Clearly needs a product not on the market. If she did profit from it being legalised, so what? I dare say that she won't profit half as much as the big companies that will step in and take control of the market.

SoaringSwallow Thu 21-Jun-18 06:12:13

If you can but it in Holland and Barrett what's you problem? You think she got her son in hospital to promote the product?!

NotTakenUsername Thu 21-Jun-18 06:12:33

She sells a different (legal) profuct.

I imagine she’s quite interested in all strains of the product, given that it has, you know, saved her sons life...!

NotTakenUsername Thu 21-Jun-18 06:15:35

A spokesman for Ms Caldwell said profits from sales of the cannabis products - which include oils, capsules, powder, gummies, shots and honey sticks - were used to fund Billy's 24-7 healthcare needs, the Daily Telegraph reported.

A direct quote from the article you shared.

FlibbertyGiblets Thu 21-Jun-18 06:16:14

She sells a product. Her son is prescribed a different product. Are you saying she deliberately made her child very ill by somehow manipulating the customs system?

NoIWontDoWhatYouSay Thu 21-Jun-18 06:16:16

'Medical' marijuana is already manufactured in the UK. We're one of the biggest manufacturers in the world - we just export it all because we can't sell it here.

That's not what her company sells. She sells CBD oil.

Tallyhooo Thu 21-Jun-18 06:18:33

Ok - I don't know how I feel about it tbh which is why I posted AIBU -

NotTakenUsername Thu 21-Jun-18 06:22:16

Tell us honestly... did you read the article? Honestly.

Tallyhooo Thu 21-Jun-18 06:22:16

I do wish she had mentioned the company on one of the interviews however....

NotTakenUsername Thu 21-Jun-18 06:26:11

And run the risk of people like you saying she was plugging it?! shock

massivelyouting Thu 21-Jun-18 06:27:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

massivelyouting Thu 21-Jun-18 06:28:19

BurtTyrannosaurusMacklin Thu 21-Jun-18 06:29:36

But surely if she’d mentioned it in one of the interviews you’d then be saying how terrible she was for using her sons illness to plug her own products?! Woman can’t win!

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 21-Jun-18 06:32:44

If she had mentioned the company it would have simply been her promoting her company - her need for publicity at this time is to change the law for her son, not to get her company named on lots of news shows.

massivelyouting Thu 21-Jun-18 06:38:11

shiklah Thu 21-Jun-18 06:42:59

Its incredibly common for parents to become involved in work linked to their child’s therapies because they are immersed in that world.

gamerwidow Thu 21-Jun-18 06:46:15

I think given that she had a nationwide platform and she never once tried to promote her company on it it’s fairly safe to say she didn’t do it for business reasons.

tangledyarn Thu 21-Jun-18 06:46:53

She's selling a different product-CBD without THC..she uses the profits from this to care for her seriously unwell son. She no doubt developed a passion for CBD after seeing her sons life saved by it. The change in the law will have no affect on her company as what she sells is already its legal and being used by millions already. I think you are being obtuse and highly unfair to this woman and her child who are having a horrendous time.

shakeyourcaboose Thu 21-Jun-18 06:48:58

given that she had a nationwide platform and she never once tried to promote her company on it it’s fairly safe to say she didn’t do it for business reasons. And what everyone else said!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: