Talk

Advanced search

Have you got to the stage where you choose your clients?

(23 Posts)
GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 01:49:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Guiltypleasures001 Thu 21-Jun-18 01:59:05

For?

GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 02:03:14

tripYouOut Thu 21-Jun-18 02:12:32

Yes.

I hate to give an obvious answer but you do it by becoming better at whatever you're doing and building your reputation. You could lower prices.

There are reasons we can't increase prices as it's usually bad business sense but I have a waiting list. However, by improving the quality of the customers we improve the product too.

frasier Thu 21-Jun-18 02:22:28

I did, until DS and then stopped work. Will need to build a reputation all over again 😫.

I did it by being very conscientious and, in the early days, not quibbling about money or the small stuff with people.

My sister, in a similar field, is bolshy and always boasted about how she argued the toss with clients, refused to do anything other than that which was in her contract to the letter, and charged more than me. She didn’t get repeat clients, I did.

I built up my client base and then kept the ones I liked.

Just be professional, don’t be a dick, yet don’t let others take advantage (they will try).

GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 02:27:23

Semster Thu 21-Jun-18 03:12:49

Similar to frasier - I do a good job, I am helpful and patient, I go above and beyond when required. I understand what my clients need, and am able to help them much more than they expected.

I also don't charge the ridiculous rates that agencies charge (for websites etc) but I also don't undercharge.

Semster Thu 21-Jun-18 03:13:49

Also in the early days I did some work for nothing, and some work for very little, but in the process put together a portfolio that shows what I can do. I've never advertised for business - it's all word of mouth.

bananafish81 Thu 21-Jun-18 03:48:14

Yes I'm lucky to be able to be picky

Years of experience, in areas where there's a glut of demand and a dearth of supply, particularly at a senior level

It's annoying to have to turn down interesting projects because I'm fully booked, but equally I don't have to take a contract just because the client has a need. All my work comes from personal recommendations and LinkedIn - I do have lots of briefs come through from headhunters with freelance opportunities, but I get far more interesting work (and better money!) direct

One client said I was at the 'premium end' when it came to my day rate. I said well yes it's because of supply and demand - I'm worth what people are willing to pay for me, and I have the knowledge and experience to add value to a client's business. He said 'well done, keep doing that!'

NameChangedForThisQ Thu 21-Jun-18 04:03:50

I do my work fast and to a high standard. I have recently doubled my rates. I find the more a client pays me the better they treat me as a general rule.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 21-Jun-18 04:35:00

Yes though in my line of work it’s important to be a bit choosey. I’m now experienced and have a very good reputation that I rarely advertise, most of my work comes from word of mouth. I can usually tell from first message / enquiry whether I want to pursue the work or not.

kimber83 Thu 21-Jun-18 05:39:05

the more a client pays me the better they treat me as a general rule.

Not freelance but based on a family member's experience, this.

Clients who don't value your skillset or know what a fair market rate looks like effectively distract you from taking on "proper" clients (and that means covering business costs to make it viable and scalable over a long term, properly factored in, even if it's just stuff like proper insurances for WFH seasonal staff or paying to cover office rent in the down time or periods of business development).... Clients who get something cheap might be a one off good idea to build contacts or build a portfolio, but msaaaaaaany women business owners undervalue themselves beyond that!

GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 16:09:54

GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 16:16:03

LaurieFairyCake Thu 21-Jun-18 16:18:02

Yes, I only offer sessions to those I can help. I’m at the top end of the charging bracket and I’ve got a waiting list.

I’m also restricted by how many hours I can do to work effectively and I never work more than that.

GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 16:25:12

DanglyEarOrnaments Thu 21-Jun-18 16:38:51

Yes - it soon happens in the industry I'm in,(as long as You're good of course)

We only take clients who we feel the vibe that they will really value our services and respect our procedures and policies which are there for the best interests of both themselves and our staff.

Badbadtromance Thu 21-Jun-18 16:44:03

I built a reputation for going the extra mile. Attention to detail and hard work. I now pick and choose what work i do

noego Thu 21-Jun-18 16:47:41

they've got to want what I offer, otherwise its pointless. Costs don't come into it.

GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 17:23:48

DanglyEarOrnaments Thu 21-Jun-18 17:29:59

To help ensure you will be a good match, when you are selling your services be sure to tell them what you can't do as well as what you can and will be doing for them.

Manage their expectations and do your very best at what you do offer. Those that still want it want what you ARE selling and not just some fantasy in their own head.

GardenGeek Thu 21-Jun-18 17:53:17

steppemum Fri 22-Jun-18 12:09:45

I am an 11+ tutor

I took anyone until this year, this year the knock on effect of my reputation has finally meant I am over subscribed.
I don't exactly chose, it is pretty much first come first served, but I have put up my prices, (more in line with others) and I can shrug my shoulders and say - no I can't tutor at 1:30 every Saturday to suit you. Find someone else.

I do have one family signed up for September who I am worried about, I think Mum is going to be a pain in the neck. But I am experienced and confident enough to say - this is my way, this is how I do it, and not to take any nonsense.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: