Talk

Advanced search

To be stressing it might rain - a wedding one!

(30 Posts)
Tryagaintomorrow Wed 20-Jun-18 09:11:45

So, wedding is coming up in the next few weeks and it’s pretty weather dependant!
We do have a plan b if it rains but I’m just worried it’s going to ruin the day sad

Did it rain on your wedding day or big event?
How did you cope?

For background - I’m in the UK, literally hate the rain and would have done a destination wedding but too many old relatives and newborns to make that fair on anyone smile

Bumble1830 Wed 20-Jun-18 09:14:30

It's good luck to rain on your wedding day... Washes the bad luck away.
Not very helpful though, sorry. Just enjoy the day, I'm sure you'll be to excited to notice the weather 💐 xx

HarrietKettleWasHere Wed 20-Jun-18 09:20:07

I think if you plan a 'weather dependent' wedding you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best, I wouldn't have planned a big outside thing if I was really worried about rain though!

I'm hoping for sunshine at mine obviously (April) (photos will look nicer!) but half expecting rain because....we live in the UK. And it's all indoor.

MyOtherUsernameisaPun Wed 20-Jun-18 09:21:09

It rained on my wedding and my sister's and neither of us cared - you can get amazing photos in the rain! There is no harsh sunlight so you get gorgeous ambient lighting with dreamy soft focus colours.

If your plan a would be totally ruined by bad weather (outdoor wedding?) then I would spend some time making sure that you equally love your plan b - as there is a good chance it could rain. Do what you have to to make sure that rain isn't going to mean the day is ruined for you.

If it's just smaller aspects like the photos etc that you're worried about, embrace the possibilities! Get in a couple of white golf umbrellas just in case and have gorgeous singin in the rain style pictures. Or if you wanted people to be able to enjoy a garden, buy in a load of cheapie plastic ponchos and encourage people to make the most of it anyway - that would still be really memorable and enjoyable.

On the day you will be so happy and excited I don't think you will mind ☺️

LartenCrepsley Wed 20-Jun-18 09:22:17

Ah, it poured with rain on my wedding day (August 2009). It didn’t spoil the day. We still had photos outside, under big white golf umbrellas. The church where we married has a sloping glass roof and the grey clouds and rain made it all rather dramatic!

bridgetreilly Wed 20-Jun-18 09:25:42

There's no point worrying, that won't change anything. You've got a plan B, so that's all you can do. Just get on with the things you need to now.

Flexoset Wed 20-Jun-18 09:28:17

It absolutely pissed it down on our wedding day - great sheets of rain so that we couldn't even leave the church for ages after the service. So we had the photos in there instead of in the grounds of the reception venue like we'd planned.

It was slightly annoying, because the reception venue had lovely grounds which we didn't get to use (and wasn't quite so nice inside - good enough, though).

But we still had a wonderful wedding. It's about the people, really. We all had a great time. The photos were good. And in my memories of the day the rain hardly figures at all for some reason - it's only when I read your post that I actually remembered processing down the church after the service, getting to the porch to see the torrential rain outside, and everyone laughing and turning round to process back in again!

GrumpySausage Wed 20-Jun-18 09:28:32

I went to a friends wedding where it rained for most of the day. It didn't dampen spirits and her photos were amazing. They managed to get some great atmospheric shots with the clouds and reflections. They are the best wedding photos I have seen.

Don't worry, what will be will be and you will still have a lovely day. thanks

pinkflamingo86 Wed 20-Jun-18 09:33:04

I went to a friends wedding which was on the hottest day of the year a few years ago. She ended up being disappointed that everyone sat outside all night as it was so warm - meaning no one on the dancefloor! You will have an amazing day rain or shine smile

PinkHeart5914 Wed 20-Jun-18 09:36:59

I think if you’ve planned an outside wedding it’s a risk you take! All you can do is keep your fingers crossed but it’s a celebration so I doubt it would dampen spirits too much.

If it’s really heavy rain and to completely outside you need to think of a plan B

IHeartKingThistle Wed 20-Jun-18 09:42:19

Yeah we went to one on a sweltering day once and it was probably as inconvenient as if it had rained. We got married in March many years ago and bought a load of white umbrellas. It turned out to be a lovely day so we didn't use them and gave them to engaged friends in case it rained at their wedding. It didn't rain at theirs either so they passed them to some of their engaged friends and it didn't rain on their day either! As far as I know those umbrellas are still doing the rounds spreading good luck!

You'll have a beautiful day OP - none of it will matter smile

QueenOfMyWorld Wed 20-Jun-18 09:42:45

We got married 7th July 2 yrs ago,it rained the day before then it was sunny on the day thank God! These things have a way of working out I'm sure it will be fine on your special day x

nosleepforoverayear Wed 20-Jun-18 10:04:33

We were forecasted to have heavy storms all day... like you it really bothered me. So i decided to embrace the rain and bought fun wellies and umbrellas for the wedding party and planned some rainy themed photos. Turned out it was a lovely day and the only rain we had was during the wedding breakfast when we were all inside anyway. It's amazing how these things work out, and if it does rain, it won't ruin your day. Just be prepared for the worst, so it doesn't catch you out on the day. Enjoy your day - it will be the best day of your life no matter what.

mehhh Wed 20-Jun-18 10:06:42

I went to my boyfriends friends wedding, it absolutely chucked it down, the streets were flooding, it was in a garden outside.... it was the best wedding I've ever been to! Had so much fun despite the rain...

Good luck! Xx

Tryagaintomorrow Wed 20-Jun-18 10:19:18

Thanks everyone, I feel encouraged that you’ve embraced it, maybe I can get one of those umbrella hats so I don’t ruin my hair do!

sunshinewithabitofdrizzle Wed 20-Jun-18 11:59:13

It poured on my wedding day, which meant we didn't get any nice photo with the car we'd booked etc, but otherwise was all fine. Sadly the marriage wasn't.

GahWhatever Wed 20-Jun-18 12:03:55

We had a barn/fete/festival type wedding and had lots of rainbow umbrellas and (I know not elegant) rain ponchos just in case. All you can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best. We were fine in the end and managed to sell all the unused stuff on afterwards..

specialsubject Wed 20-Jun-18 12:04:26

frilly frock party. If weather ruins it then it isn't a good party.

you've got a plan b. Hopefully you also have a partner that you love, shoes that don't hurt, enough food and drink for your guests, won't be keeping them standing for ages for photos and aren't too worried about photos that you will look at once.

proportion. Enjoy!

Charliebob1337 Wed 20-Jun-18 12:32:18

To be honest, come the day you won't give a hoot. You will be so excited that anything that doesn't go perfectly becomes a little gem to remember after the day. We got married right near the beach, we were due storms. Somehow it completely missed us and had beautiful sunshine all day. It was very windy though, and my veil was all over the place and my hair too. Made some pretty funny picture but also some lovely ones too. Honestly it didn't go 100% to plan but it's those things that make me giggle when I think back to the day. I had a wonky cake, overly drunk bridesmaid, some fatty ate all the candy cart sweets before the evening guests came, forgot my flats for the evening and ended up with sore black feet at the end of the night. Still the best day of my life though! Enjoy the run up to it, week before is always going to be stressful so make a plan and keep busy. But come the day rain or shine you will have an amazing one! Best of luck.

AForegoneConclusion Wed 20-Jun-18 12:35:38

I had a client who married on a stormy day when it absolutely hammered down. In the end we provided some white umbrellas and she had some stunning photos with husband snuggled under a brolly sheltering from the rain. The day wasn't ruined in the slightest. Stop worrying. You can't do anything about it, so worrying will do nothing other than keep you up at night! Have a wonderful day, whatever the weather.

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 20-Jun-18 12:37:27

I’m getting married today. In a field. Fingers crossed everyone please. If it rains we will just get wet, it’s only water I suppose. I’ve been checking the weather reports every 1/2hr since 5.30am.

upaladderagain Wed 20-Jun-18 12:55:18

Whether you stress about it or you don’t it will either rain or it won’t, do may as well not stress!
I went to a summer wedding a couple of years ago with outdoor games, fairy lights etc etc all set up outside and the rain hammered down all day. Because everyone had to stay indoors they mixed better and it didn’t spoil the day at all.
A few weeks later another wedding on a boiling hot day with a melting bride and everyone huddled into what little shade they could find.
Don’t worry, whatever happens you will have a great time!
Lots of happiness to you

Mammyloveswine Wed 20-Jun-18 13:03:59

I got married in December... it snowed the day before (I was gutted!) But on the morning of my wedding it was a cold, crisp, sunny day-perfect!

I have been to weddings in glorious sunshine, some in torrential rain and others where it has been showers... all have been lovely! Just keep an eye on the forecast so you can focus on plan b in the run up if necessary! Good luck And congratulations

Amanduh Wed 20-Jun-18 13:08:24

I worried and worried but it was a gorgeous sunny day... on the day though I didn’t even give a hoot!

Spudlet Wed 20-Jun-18 13:09:25

Get a few giant umbrellas and maybe some jolly wellies if that's your style, and roll with it. We had thunder and lightening on our day and I tell you, I could not have cared less. I was marrying a womderful man wih all my favourite people there - what's. Ot to loke?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: