Talk

Advanced search

to hope for the beginning of the end for these entitled 'influencer' youtubers?

(70 Posts)
mmmgoats Mon 18-Jun-18 15:42:36

This is inspired by another thread on AIBU which someone posted about Youtuber Alfie Deyes and his mockery of an excuse of a video about living on £1 for a day, where he basically used poverty as entertainment and laughed at the very idea of people living on £1.
Yes, he's now apologised, given money to charity etc.
But am I alone in hoping for youngsters to wake up and see through these so-called influencers?
I know they're not all like it, I know there are some fantastic Youtube channels that are genuinely informative and interesting, but there's also the core group of originals - the Brit Crew I think they're called - who've lost all touch with reality.
Zoella, Tanya Burr, Alfie Deyes, Louise Pentland - they all seem to somehow think they deserve an award for how 'hard working' they are and I've been shocked to see the utter thoughtless wastage of food, clothes, money across their videos.
My niece is still obsessed with Zoella and it really pains me to think that she looks up to a woman in her late twenties who seemingly stopped maturing at about 17-18, and shows herself to be a terrible example.

I'm really hoping the recent backlash against Tanya Burr, Zoella and now Alfie for various different things is the start of this. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Babybearsporij Mon 18-Jun-18 15:50:51

You need to go on gurugossip. A whole site of people disillusioned with YouTubers. Sometimes they are a bit bitchy and mean, but it's the same basic premise.

kyrenialady Mon 18-Jun-18 15:55:24

Yes add the Ingham's to the list. They have become insufferable recently. They are now also having a baby just for click bait.

mmmgoats Mon 18-Jun-18 16:09:54

I've never heard of the Inghams but that sounds horrendous @kyrenialady

Never heard of gurugossip either, will have to check that out.
I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but it just baffles me that these people have got where they have. The entitlement of some of them is just so infuriating.

MrStarkIDontFeelSoGood Mon 18-Jun-18 16:13:46

People said it was the end of them after the Hello World debacle. It doesn't appear to have dented them.

I wonder if there SELL SELL SELL to children is subject to Advertising/Trading Standards rules and if not why not

RunMummyRun68 Mon 18-Jun-18 16:15:59

Watch one of the Inghams birthday or Christmas morning videos!

Xenia Mon 18-Jun-18 16:17:26

I suspect they will always be with us. I think even in the 1700s and 1800s certain actresses and the mistress of the king etc were followed and their example used as to how to look and be.

kyrenialady Mon 18-Jun-18 16:19:05

Watch them via hook tube then they don’t get no money from the ads.

mmmgoats Mon 18-Jun-18 16:19:33

what's hook tube?

kyrenialady Mon 18-Jun-18 16:23:49

If you go on hooktube it explains what it is. Basically if you watch the bloggers through that they get no income from the clicks as it bypasses it. It was recommended to by from gossip guru.

mmmgoats Mon 18-Jun-18 16:25:09

ooh thanks for the tip. Now I don't feel dirty for enabling the problem I'm whinging about! grin

Basta Mon 18-Jun-18 16:27:27

Can't stand these people. I genuinely can't understand why people want to watch Zoella unpack her Boots/Primark "haul" and make inane remarks about it for 20 minutes, yet their YouTube videos are full of comments from people saying how much they love her. Really don't get it, but find it quite sad.

mostdays Mon 18-Jun-18 16:31:29

I haven't heard of them. I think I'm too old and my dc too young to be their target group. My elder dc go on and on about Logan Paul and Jake Paul and some stupid bunch of ninnys who do 'overnight challenges' (basically break in somewhere and spend the night there). And they watch people playing shitty games a lot. Boring as boring can be, to my mind.

MakeItStopNeville Mon 18-Jun-18 16:31:30

Having clicked on this thread, I watched an Ingham video. I don’t get it. Who would watch that for entertainment?! They grated on me in the first 20 seconds, especially Dad.

mmmgoats Mon 18-Jun-18 16:33:34

eurgh @mostdays the Pauls are no better. The recent furore over one of them filming a dead body in Japan made my stomach turn. It's like they don't have a brain cell between them.

The Inghams are mind boggling!!

kyrenialady Mon 18-Jun-18 16:36:34

God know why people watch them. My dd occasionally does but she is 11. According to their followers they are inspirational.

The wife is lazy and does eff all. Her greasy haired husband ferries her and the kids about all the time. I don’t get it.

RunMummyRun68 Mon 18-Jun-18 22:28:32

I get some good ideas from some of them

But never the 'bigger' ones

ImNotReallyAWaitress Tue 19-Jun-18 12:55:52

I hope so.

I don’t even see how any of them are relatable now, particularly the gleambots.

I also hope the same for a lot of the ‘family’ vlogger/ influencer people. I find it incredibly sad that a childhood can be sold for views to keep the family in designer clothes etc.

boopsy Tue 19-Jun-18 13:02:09

I must admit I quite like watching Family Fizz and The Inghams with dd. However the Ingham kids in particular seem very spoiled with s Mother who seems addicted to shopping. They are always in expensive trips etc which I can’t live up to. Plus the Dad's clearly in denial over his sexuality I’m really not over invested- they are having a baby? (runs over to youtube to watch haha)

kyrenialady Tue 19-Jun-18 13:16:28

They planted a pg test boopsy in a vlog and won't let on whether they are pg or not.

I find Chris very creepy, especially the way he is around Isabelle and young followers.

thatsmyjoomper Tue 19-Jun-18 13:37:44

I've recently discovered Primark hauls and I'm absolutely addicted! Can't even explain why - I'm 39 and do not have a body like the people trying the stuff on but it's sooooo watchable!!

Derekmorganwasinmybed Tue 19-Jun-18 13:41:46

I agree I get a strange feeling about chris Ingham

kyrenialady Tue 19-Jun-18 13:45:48

gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=574&t=33806&start=775

Come over and join the antifam, lots over there think Chris is a bit weird as well.

MoonsAndJunes Tue 19-Jun-18 13:54:12

Just watched a 'The Inghams' video on you tube thanks to you lot hmm What the hell are they doing?

MoonsAndJunes Tue 19-Jun-18 13:57:56

They went on holiday... to what looked like a Barrett housing estate. They thought it was Amazzzzzing. hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: