Talk

Advanced search

To think the FA should give a sizeable donation to Women's Aid?

(181 Posts)
GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 13:51:48

During the World Cup, if England lose, DV rates soar by 38%

If England win or draw, DV rates soar by 29%.

I am so sick of this.

AIBU to think the multi-billion pound FA should contribute a generous amount of their World Cup profit to Women's Aid or DV shelters until their fans stop beating up women? No it's not their fault men attack women but rather than brushing the issue aside they should maybe embrace the fact that their sport contributes to so much violence, rather than sticking their heads in the sand?

araiwa Mon 18-Jun-18 13:53:46

What a ridiculous idea

tripYouOut Mon 18-Jun-18 13:54:50

No. You are ridiculous.

I was born in July. If England win or draw then my birthday is in the same month. How much should I donate.

My children are men (boys). I assume you'd like a sex-based tax on them too.

Jesus wept!

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:02:32

Why is it ridiculous?

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:03:26

I have a boy too trip. However that doesn't change the fact that violence is overwhelmingly committed by males.

Nicknacky Mon 18-Jun-18 14:03:30

Alcohol also plays a big part in DV. Do you want all companies to also contribute?

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:04:54

Also trip I have no idea what you mean by you're born in July so should you pay?? Do you own the FA?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:05:10

Alcohol also plays a big part in DV. Do you want all companies to also contribute?

That seems like an excellent idea.

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:05:40

*Alcohol also plays a big part in DV. Do you want all companies to also contribute?*

Do you know what, that's not a bad idea!

Nicknacky Mon 18-Jun-18 14:07:04

itsall They would also need to contribute to road crash charities, child neglect organisations, other violence related groups also. Where would you draw the line?

eightfacesofthemoon Mon 18-Jun-18 14:08:37

I get the sentiment but I don’t think it would work.
Perhaps they should have adverts around the issue when it’s on the box?
But money rules and all that, so it wouldn’t happen.

Nicknacky Mon 18-Jun-18 14:09:11

Or how about we stop blaming companies for people’s poor decision making and violence and make those people responsible instead of using football and alcohol as an excuse?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:09:20

They would also need to contribute to road crash charities, child neglect organisations, other violence related groups also

Also an excellent idea wink

Nicknacky Mon 18-Jun-18 14:09:44

See my next post.

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:09:53

They doeight (I believe it's called "Love the Game" campaign) and have done in previous years. But it's not working. They're doing it, IMO, to appear to care when really tackling DV is much more than a marketing campaign

itstimeforanamechange Mon 18-Jun-18 14:10:22

I just saw a tweet from my local council with this statistic. Is this actually for real? England lose a match so you beat your wife/girlfriend up? Well what a lot of (male) charmers we have. Is this replicated in other countries or even other parts of the UK?

Anyway, yes I suggest that the footballers make donations to DV charities out of their extremely generous incomes. They behave badly themselves on the pitch and are rubbish role models.

Nicknacky Mon 18-Jun-18 14:11:17

No way should footballers have to contribute. That is a stupid idea.

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:11:18

*They would also need to contribute to road crash charities, child neglect organisations, other violence related groups also*

Bar the road crash charities (are there any?) Women's Aid covers pretty much all of these. I think it would be a good place to start rather than just going "meh".

Who would it honestly damage if they did this? What are the negatives?

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:11:55

Nicknacky are you a WAG?!

Fiintastic Mon 18-Jun-18 14:12:03

Ahh i forgot DV only happens to women

Deluded at best.

eightfacesofthemoon Mon 18-Jun-18 14:12:28

@GunpowderGelatine
Shows how much football I watch!
IMO education from school age is the only way, not in a half hearted manner either. I can’t imagine most men who are perpetrators have decent male role models

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:12:31

itstime sadly it is true http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0022427813494843

tripYouOut Mon 18-Jun-18 14:12:51

I didn't say it was ridiculous, I said you were ridiculous.

"violence is overwhelmingly committed by males."

That depends which statistics you use. Women in lesbian relationships are more likely to be physically abused than any other group. In prisons, a slim majority of sexual abuse is committed by women.

I mentioned my birthday month as it seems as fascile and tenuous as your link between the FA and domestic violence.

"embrace the fact that their sport contributes to so much violence"

Do you understand that causation and correlation are not the same? I get the distinct impression you don't.

Are your DV shelters the type that exclude men?

GunpowderGelatine Mon 18-Jun-18 14:13:58

Absolutely agree eight, it needs to be normalised from early on. No one talked about it when I was young, not even when I was in a DV household, it just got brushed under the carpet and the lack of action from everyone needs to stop - especially from those who profit from a game that triggers so much violence

Nicknacky Mon 18-Jun-18 14:14:01

gunpowder Brake is a well known road safety charity.

Yes I’m a WAG. Clearly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: