Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to call the police

(14 Posts)
KinCat Mon 18-Jun-18 02:58:09

This happened a while ago but interested to hear what others would have done as I've been told I overreacted.

We lived in a flat and often heard the couple above us having screaming rows like properly yelling at each other, slamming doors, etc. It all sounded quite two sided but you never know.

One day I was getting ready for work (alone in the apartment) and heard a loud scream from upstairs. It was a woman's scream and quite loud and distressed. I called the police and told them what I'd heard and they sent someone out. I left for work at this point but later got a call from the building concierge and they were annoyed I'd called the police rather than them and said that there wasn't anything anyone could do anyway as no-one had answered the door. Of course you wouldn't answer the door if you'd just murdered your wife!!

WIBU to have called the police? I've probably been listening to too many true crime podcasts and it seems quite often neighbours will hear a scream or something but not call the police because they don't want to bother anyone so on that basis I think I was being totally reasonable but what do you think.

Disclaimer: not based in the UK so police response and follow up is a bit lacklustre.

SheSparkles Mon 18-Jun-18 03:01:57

Police staff here-you were absolutely reasonable to call the police. There’s plenty the police can and do do if a door isn’t answered!
People like your concierge are part of the reason people cover up for domestic abuse because they feel somehow ashamed

Nooblynoo Mon 18-Jun-18 03:05:20

Yes, absolutely call the police. Who does the concierge think he is?

Monty27 Mon 18-Jun-18 03:06:55

Oh so the concierge was pissed off? Tough shit. What are they there for?

KinCat Mon 18-Jun-18 03:15:40

@SheSparkles thanks, that's interesting to get a police perspective.

The concierge is always on a bit of a power trip! I was glad to leave the place tbh.

I felt like that single scream was different because normally when they rowed it would be back and forth both yelling at each other until one left but this was different. Just one scream and then nothing. I often think of the woman and hope she's ok.

plominoagain Mon 18-Jun-18 03:18:37

Definitely call , it’s what we’re there for ! I’d so much rather turn up for a call made in good faith that turned out to be something innocuous , than turn up too late .

TheBeastInMsRooneysRoom Mon 18-Jun-18 03:24:55

I called the police after hearing shouting, a blood curdling scream, a thump and then silence from the couple who lived above me. They were shouting in another language and sounded angry so I assumed the worst.

Turned out there was a big spider, they were scared, and then killed it.

Police still said I did the right thing but blush

GardenGeek Mon 18-Jun-18 03:25:10

Not like a singular shock scream? Like if a spider jumped and landed on you. That would be a shrill loud, but singular scream for me.

Ugh creeping me out imaging scream types now!

GardenGeek Mon 18-Jun-18 03:25:45

Haha cross post - yep you can tell I have been there too grin

KinCat Mon 18-Jun-18 03:28:36

I guess it could have been a scream in shock at something like a spider. Given their history of arguments that wasn't my first thought but yeah, it could have been.

KinCat Mon 18-Jun-18 03:41:31

@TheBeastInMsRooneysRoom that's pretty funny! Did you bond with your neighbours over it at all?

GardenGeek Mon 18-Jun-18 03:53:22

Was it recent? Have you had a chance to see her around yet?

Bit weird they didn't answer the door though. Maybe they didnt know it was the police.

KinCat Mon 18-Jun-18 04:00:44

Not recent and I never saw them, it was a huge block of flats so I could never be sure who the upstairs neighbours were. We moved out pretty soon after the scream incident.

AsleepAllDay Mon 18-Jun-18 04:10:56

Not unreasonable at all - at the very least that will be logged & will be on the police radar

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: