Talk

Advanced search

To think 70mph is an acceptable speed in any motorway lane?

(273 Posts)
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 17-Jun-18 23:20:02

Disclaimer: I have only recently started driving on the motorway regularly

Surely whatever lane you're in, 70mph is an acceptable speed to be doing? I keep finding that when I'm in the fast lane (eg when overtaking cars in the middle lane) at 70mph, I find I have someone driving 2 metres behind me in a way that suggests they enjoy causing a pile up. Once I'm able to get back into the middle lane they will rush past at well over 70mph.

Did I miss the memo where the fast lane became part of the German Autobahn?

TheDairyQueen Sun 17-Jun-18 23:21:39

You'll get used to these mouth breathers, honest. 70's plenty and if they don't likeit, fuck 'em...with a butterchurn!

Bunbunbunny Sun 17-Jun-18 23:21:52

Nope they’re just idiots. The law is 70mph

wizzywig Sun 17-Jun-18 23:22:05

Its because you are a new driver. For me, 70 belongs in the middle lane.

NotUmbongoUnchained Sun 17-Jun-18 23:22:14

We had this exact thread a few weeks ago. If you’re not overtaking go back to the left lane!

somewhereovertherain Sun 17-Jun-18 23:24:01

No such thing as a fast lane. Driving lane and overtaking lanes. 70 is the speed limit but it’s so out of date it’s unture. But just ignore people behind you and give as much space in front as you can and return to the inside lane.

gamerchick Sun 17-Jun-18 23:24:17

I try to stay out of the fast lane unless overtaking really slow big things because dickheads who like to go over the speed limit live there.

lardymclardy Sun 17-Jun-18 23:25:54

It's shouldn't be called the fast lane, all lanes are 70. It's just that people in the 'fast lane' tend to be doing 90. People doing 40 though in the left hand lane and people hogging the middle lane at 50 are just as bad though.

NotARegularPenguin Sun 17-Jun-18 23:26:09

70 doesn’t belong in the middle lane if people in the middle lane are doing 65mph and overtaking lorries in the inside lane doing 58mph.

They’re overtaking lanes!

I can be guilty of doing over 70mph but I have the good sense if someone is doing 70mph in the outside lane to sit back until they pull in.

itswinetime Sun 17-Jun-18 23:28:32

You are right! However as a driver of over 20 years though I find if you are actively overtaking then 70 in the outside lane is fine. If not pull over let the arse holes pass and then pull out again if you need to it's not worth the risk in my experience.

nocoolnamesleft Sun 17-Jun-18 23:29:40

The important thing is only to move out into an overtaking lane if overtaking, and move back in once overtaking completed. And I agree calling them a fast lane is unhelpful.

Imchlibob Sun 17-Jun-18 23:30:52

You are quite correct and it is perfectly reasonable to go at 70mph in the 3rd lane if you are overtaking someone going at less than 70mph in the 2nd lane.

Do not refer to the 3rd lane as the fast lane though. 1st, 2nd & 3rd. Always drive in the leftmost lane possible given the speed of prevailing traffic - use 2nd & 3rd lanes only for overtaking and only when safe to do so - 70mph only appropriate for dry roads in good visibility.

People who tailgate you in the 3rd lane are utter gits but will probably be dead soon anyway with that kind of driving style so try not to let them stress you.

siwel123 Sun 17-Jun-18 23:35:52

Yanbu. 70mph is the speed limit and as long as you drive in a safe manner and don't sit in the outside lane when other lanes are free then there can be no complaints.

DitheringBlidiot Sun 17-Jun-18 23:36:34

It’s so annoying, but the speed limit will never be good enough for some people.

I would never speed on their behalf. The issue is entirely theirs

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Sun 17-Jun-18 23:38:46

If you are over taking fine

Trundling along at 70mph in that over taking lane isn’t we all know that many people drove over 70mph and let them there are other lanes to drive in

It’s about time it was changed

LuMarie Sun 17-Jun-18 23:40:21

Agree, 70mph is the speed limit, that means fast lane.

So unless emergency to avoid accident, it's 70mph tops.

Unfortunately as you are finding, many drivers see it as the slow lane speed and will drive right up behind you because they want to do 90mph.

Don't be pressured into speeding and don't get worked up, just always stay in the slowest lane available for your own speed whatever it is and if someone is behind you on outside lanes going more quickly just move over as soon when you can and let them pass.

HateSummer Sun 17-Jun-18 23:45:29

Stay in the left lane, overtake using the middle and right. If someone to your right is going at the same speed, slow down and let them overtake if they want. I personally think 70 isn’t fast enough...almost everyone does 80 most of the time.

siwel123 Sun 17-Jun-18 23:46:32

@Hatesummer. And that's why we have speed cameras because knobs can't follow the law grin

walnutwood Sun 17-Jun-18 23:47:26

Bear in mind, @AvocadosBeforeMortgages, that if your speedo says 70, you're actually doing around 66.

clairewiththehair Sun 17-Jun-18 23:49:42

I hate those drivers who try and bully you off the outside lane when you are doing 70.

LeGrandeDame Sun 17-Jun-18 23:57:15

You've actually got to speed up to overtake someone with enough room to get in front of them when you pull back in.
If you are doing 70 to overtake someone doing 65 it's probably not worth it.
That person in the middle lane needs to be overtaking too. They often just sit there as there's a lorry in the slow lane , oh say two miles ahead.

gamerchick Mon 18-Jun-18 00:05:44

It’s about time it was changed

Yes...50 is ample. It should be changed definitely.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 18-Jun-18 00:13:22

Why 50

Many drivers are doing 85+ very few people are fined, causes for motor way accidents are often down to weather conditions other countries have higher speed limits with no more accidents than we have and out motorways are in good condition compared to many countries

The worse drivers are those going about 55-60 in the central lanes when there is no need to this also causes issues when trying to pull into a motor when drivers are driving slowly. If you are not confident driving fast on a motorway you shouldn’t be

kamilahbobo Mon 18-Jun-18 00:26:13

Stick to first lane ..70mph is not the speed for 3rd lane.. there should be actually limit of going too slow on the roads..find people driving 20mph on 40mph roads driving me nuts..even if I passed my driving licence yesterday doesn't change fact on me driving at reasonable speed I need..

redshoeblueshoe Mon 18-Jun-18 00:31:45

Here we have Smart motorways

which means the average top speed limit is 50 grin

not so fucking smart after all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: