Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what yr 8 parents are letting their kids watch Love Island??

(74 Posts)
stellenbosch Sun 17-Jun-18 22:25:28

Dd says "all my friends watch it", "why can't I?".

Lol. Absolutely, not.

Who and why are ppl letting their 12/13 yr olds watch this?

Minniemooseishere Sun 17-Jun-18 22:31:26

I'm not letting mine. Dd (yr 7) says most of her friends are watching it. Dd3 (yr 6) days done of hers are too. I know she's not lying because she was as disgusted as I was.

nancy75 Sun 17-Jun-18 22:34:24

Dd is year 8 & almost her whole class watch it, fortunately she’s not interested and if she did want to watch it the answer would be no.
I’m more shocked by how many of them have watched Game of Thrones - I’m 43 and find much of that uncomfortable viewing, fancy letting a 12 year old watch it

upsideup Sun 17-Jun-18 22:36:07

I would have let my eldest watch it when she 12, second eldest is 11 and has no interest but if she did is a few years (maybe 3-4 rather than 1-2) then I would be fine with her watching it.

ImaginationOrLogic Sun 17-Jun-18 22:36:24

Watched 10 mins with 13yr old ds earlier. Because "everyone watches it mum"

Turned straight over! What utter shite. I do not want him growing up thinking that is aspirational!

JustVent Sun 17-Jun-18 22:37:10

There’s no shagging in it.
So far it’s been very tame.

It’s actually quite boring.

Frazzled74 Sun 17-Jun-18 22:40:20

Banning it makes it all the more interesting. My 14 year old watched a few episodes to see what her peers were interested in. She has now decided it is boring and is watching Victoria on Netflix .

Piffpaffpoff Sun 17-Jun-18 22:42:58

A classmate of my DD is watching it. She’s 9.

MissEliza Sun 17-Jun-18 22:43:07

You can 'not let' them watch it on the tv but if they've got access to a computer they can watch it easily at any time. Unfortunately it's hard to control. We 'didn't let' our year 9 last year but he found a way.

BrewDoggy Sun 17-Jun-18 22:43:45

So inappropriate for kids. You need to check your head if you let your 12 yo watch it!

JustVent Sun 17-Jun-18 22:51:03

In what way is it so highly inappropriate for 12 year olds?

R2G Mon 18-Jun-18 03:27:01

A girl wanted off a boy under the covers last episode, in the morning the boy told his friends his balls had been released.

BrewDoggy Mon 18-Jun-18 07:25:29

JustVent see above. Wank off someone then have him change his mind when a hotter girl appears. Not to mention making little kids think what matters is your body, not your personality. And display as much as you can. Also last night muscular men look like erections?! You still need to ask?

Jammycustard Mon 18-Jun-18 07:29:47

I’m surprised children that age find it interesting.

thecatsarecrazy Mon 18-Jun-18 07:33:16

A woman I went to school with wrote on f.b how her daughter was bathed and ready to watch it. She's the same age as my ds so 10 or 11. I thought that was a bit young

bzzbeebzz Mon 18-Jun-18 07:34:11

It’s about the worst set of female role models you could expose young girls too, the male ones aren’t much better.

TakeawayTakeMeAway Mon 18-Jun-18 07:40:59

Also last night muscular men look like erections?!

I can’t parse this sentence but I’m also pretty sure I don’t want to grin

CoffeAndCream Mon 18-Jun-18 07:49:51

I had never watched it before but did put it on out of curiosity. Its a pile of crap! Did 13 was curious and lots of her classmates are watching it so we watched it together.
It has been a great conversation starter and we have discussed all sorts while watching it, self respect, one night stands, body image etc

French2019 Mon 18-Jun-18 07:59:44

My yr8 dd doesn't watch it and hasn't shown any interest in watching it either. If she wanted to, I would discourage - I'm pretty relaxed about what she watches in general, but I wouldn't want her to think that the attitudes and behaviours on this programme are normal!

falang Mon 18-Jun-18 08:11:25

I am flabbergasted that any parent would let a child watch it. They sleep with people they've just met, they swop partners then sleep with them, someone got a wank last night and the girls applauded it. It's full of bad language. There is no way I would have let my children watch it at 15 never mind 12.

SweetCheeks1980 Mon 18-Jun-18 08:14:35

My year 7 daughter watches it, well sort of, her older sister watches it and they share a room.

It's absolute shite, though, I don't see what's so interesting about it.

rosesandflowers1 Mon 18-Jun-18 08:18:43

DD2 (10) I don't allow to watch it.

DS is Y9. He watches it but I prefer for him to do so with me or DH. DD is 16 and watches with us.

It can get a little explicit but is pretty interesting grin It isn't awful for the first ten or so episodes. It can get more racy later on.

rosesandflowers1 Mon 18-Jun-18 08:19:30

Also a good opportunity for discussions. Double standards, etc.

steppemum Mon 18-Jun-18 08:19:31

my ds aged 15 watches it, as it is all anyone is talking about at school.

I hate it, but I watched a couple of episodes to see what all the fuss was about and we have talked about it a lot.
It has in fact lead to many interesting conversations about values, about stereotypes and what actually matters in a relationship, and about the banality of all the conversations, their inability to talk about anything interesting. Conversations which would not have been sparked if he wasn't watching it.

What strikes me with ds and his friends, is that they are watching it in the same way most middle class people watch Jeremy Kyle. Like watching animals in a zoo. They do not at any level think this is how real people behave, and that it precisely the attraction, watching them be idiots.

Butterflykissess Mon 18-Jun-18 08:40:33

i actually think its been quite boring this year aswell.

but like it or not alot of teens/children watch it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: