Talk

Advanced search

Just being told that the shower in en-suite is electric

(225 Posts)
Viviot Sun 17-Jun-18 19:46:13

AIBU actually?

Doing redecoration in the recently built house, and had no idea such thing exists so didn't pay attention before.

And now being told that the shower in the ensuite bathroom is electric confused

Just like why would you install that in 2010 built house with exceptional water pressure, and powerful boiler that provides boiling-hot water.the other bathroom has normal shower with hot water from boiler. Just like why??

Viviot Sun 17-Jun-18 19:46:45

Recently bought, sorry

Littletreefrog Sun 17-Jun-18 19:47:27

Handy if your boiler breaks.

Surfingwhippet Sun 17-Jun-18 19:47:45

Because when your booker breaks down in the middle of winter you still have got water and can still have a shower

lightlypoached Sun 17-Jun-18 19:47:51

Dribbly rubbish electric showers. Is this on a house you are renting/own ?

Surfingwhippet Sun 17-Jun-18 19:47:55

Boiler

mysteryfairy Sun 17-Jun-18 19:48:20

When something went wrong with our boiler recently it would have been a blessing to have an electric shower! Perhaps they were guarding against having no hot water.

Returnofthesmileybar Sun 17-Jun-18 19:48:37

Electric showers are way better than ones than run off the water, am I missing something??

NotUmbongoUnchained Sun 17-Jun-18 19:49:02

We had an electric shower in the old house and it was brilliant. Really powerful.

IMissGin Sun 17-Jun-18 19:49:37

I just put one in. Godsend if there’s ever a boiler problem. Why not?

SocksRock Sun 17-Jun-18 19:49:41

Would have loved an electric shower when our boiler broke down. 10 days with no hot water of any description...

ikeepaforkinmypurse Sun 17-Jun-18 19:49:57

Nothing wrong in having a back-up, you don't have to keep if it's your own home.

SilverHairedCat Sun 17-Jun-18 19:50:06

Very obvious that's an electric shower. I hate the bloody things. Maybe your boiler couldn't cope with another shower being added to it?

oblada Sun 17-Jun-18 19:50:41

I quite like having 1 electric shower - very handy if boiler breaks down!

Vanillaradio Sun 17-Jun-18 19:51:52

Why wouldn't you? We have electric in the main bathroom and non electric in the en suite and the electric shower is a million times better, more powerful, keeps temperature etc. Struggling to see what's so bad about electric showers.

kitkatsky Sun 17-Jun-18 19:52:06

I love it! I don't need to remember to put the water on. If I want a shower I can just have one. You can get better heads to increase the pressure if that's what is bothering you

GerdaLovesLili Sun 17-Jun-18 19:52:29

MN is a parallel universe sometimes!

50shadesofgreyismylaundry Sun 17-Jun-18 19:52:47

I've got one boiler supplied shower and two electric ones. My favourite to use is the boiler one but it was great to have an alternative when our boiler broke.

Notevilstepmother Sun 17-Jun-18 19:53:30

Good electric showers are fine. It’s useful to have the back up as pp said.

Clionba Sun 17-Jun-18 19:54:06

Our electric shower is fantastic. Very powerful, very convenient.

MixedHerbs Sun 17-Jun-18 19:57:14

I never commit myself to one power source.
In this house, two showers running from stored hot water, 1 electric heats its own water.
Ovens are electric, but hob is gas.
Heating is gas fired but there are two Calor fires in the shed.
There's an inverter stowed in the garage that gives me a couple of electric sockets from the car battery if needed.
Car in the drive, bike in the shed (and rechargeable scooter too actually).

thecatneuterer Sun 17-Jun-18 19:57:37

Good electric showers are great. I have two bathroom/shower rooms. I have one that's electric in case the boiler breaks.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 17-Jun-18 19:57:47

I have one of each in my house, and everybody much prefers the electric shower.

VanGoghsDog Sun 17-Jun-18 20:00:08

I generally hate electric showers but they have got better over the years and it's handy to have one in case you have a boiler problem, if you have more than one shower anyway.

Not that I understand your post or how you've 'just been told' that the house you live in has an electric shower when it is very clearly an electric shower. Did you honestly not know electric showers existed?

And when you say the other bathroom has a 'normal' shower - an electric shower is a 'normal' shower if you have electric heating, or no heating!

EspressoButler Sun 17-Jun-18 20:01:00

As others have said, very handy when the boiler is out of action
Also combi boilers aren’t great if you want to use both showers at the same time, & an electric second shower is a much cheaper alternative to install than a megaflow hot water tank.

—ps way to tell it’s electric is the huge giveaway box with light wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: