Talk

Advanced search

AIBU at this dietary request in RSVP?

(343 Posts)
craxmum Fri 15-Jun-18 18:31:43

Hello everyone,

I sent a standard birthday invitation to my son's class (reception). RSVP by [today], state dietary needs etc. I am planning a great party (magician, animators etc), but for the first time am doing it so formally. DS is a popular child, after struggling with extreme shyness, and a lot of kids want to come.
I received today a reply from one mum stating "[Childs name] can have only organic products. Please no refined sugar either. Please check with me if in doubt".
I was already surprised by other requests - namely, halal, gluten free (x2), soy free and vegetarian (x2, one helpfully points out that eggs are not vegetarian). Happy to accommodate (but definitely will outsource to a professional caterer now).

AIBU to think that's a bit too much? Or is it normal? Of course, I can afford organic ingredients, it's not a money issue, but isn't it a little bit cheeky to ask for it?

PurpleDaisies Fri 15-Jun-18 18:33:06

Eggs are vegetarian. They’re not vegan.

I’d contact the one with the organic request and ask them to supply it themselves.

argumentativefeminist Fri 15-Jun-18 18:34:11

It's entitled in that only middle class yummy mummy's can afford to feed their children exclusively like this. I think its unreasonable to raise your child like this, but not unreasonable for you to cater for it if you've invited the child.

Shoxfordian Fri 15-Jun-18 18:35:16

Organic? Ha
Seriously? Tell her not to be so ridiculous. She needs to get a grip.
Think you should tell her what you're doing for food and if she wants to provide different food for her very precious child then fine. Organic! Ffs

FriendlyOcelot Fri 15-Jun-18 18:36:16

Good god.

I get halal and gluten free (if child is genuinely coeliac) but the others... 🙄

In future I would not invite people to state dietary needs as you are inviting this kind of trouble by making it clear that you will accommodate whatever whim they fancy. Let them come to you, or better still, pick through the party food provided themselves for their dc.

TheMonkeyMummy Fri 15-Jun-18 18:36:17

Hahaha. Brilliant. I would smile sweetly and ignore.

Seriousquestion09 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:37:49

You must be in South West London grin

JohnCenaSucks Fri 15-Jun-18 18:38:07

They should bring their own food, I always do for mine (vegan).

SeriousSimon Fri 15-Jun-18 18:38:13

They may choose to give them organic products and no refined sugar but that's their choice, not something you should feel obliged to cater for.

'Hi, thanks for your RSVP. Unfortunately, due to the number of children I have to cater for, I cannot ensure the food is organic. There will be X available which [child] is welcome to or of course you are welcome to bring their own food if you prefer. Hope to see you Saturday!'

DesignStatement Fri 15-Jun-18 18:38:23

Good grief - just do cucumbers sandwiches for all! (Or ask difficult to cater for diets to send a lunchbox with child).

BarbarianMum Fri 15-Jun-18 18:39:32

"Dear X, so sorry, won't be able to accomodate little x's dietary requirements, please could you provide for for her"

I'd be tempted to do similar to "eggs arent vegetarian" mum.

TheSingingKettle Fri 15-Jun-18 18:39:57

I know a mum who would definitely have requests like this, she constantly has to let everyone know how special she is and I think she gets a kick out of being awkward, I feel sorry for her.

SomeKnobend Fri 15-Jun-18 18:40:03

Text back and say something like "due to the number of attendees, whilst I'm happy to arrange specific catering for dietary requirements such as allergies, dietary preferences such as organic foods and sugar content cannot reasonably be entertained at the party, however parents are welcome to stay and supervise their own child's food choices if they wish". Cheeky bastards.

wonderfulwelshwench Fri 15-Jun-18 18:41:24

Halal, fine (though it does mean you have to think a lot harder about the sweets you give out. Gluten free, fine (though I'd be pissed off if it was due to parent faddiness and not a medical condition. Vegetarian, also fine, but the comment was a bit ridiculous as lots of veggies eat eggs, just say "and no egg". But organic unrefined sugar??? I would most definitely be asking the parent to provide their own food as you're not going to suck all of the fun out of your son's birthday tea spread!!!!

Halebeke425 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:42:15

Well if you do want to oblige and you're using a professional caterer can you just use one that uses organic produce? There are some that do though more pricey. And I'm sure they could provide a couple things with no refined sugar, actually not too tricky.

Or if not just say it won't be possible to provide that and they'll have to provide their own. I think it's a bit much too!

egginacup Fri 15-Jun-18 18:42:29

Dear god! I would go with what serioussimon said. I think halal and vegetarian are quite easy to cater for, as is gluten free, but organic and no refined sugar is just taking the piss. Does she also expect you to supervise what her DC eats and steer them away from the party rings?!

rosamacrose Fri 15-Jun-18 18:43:49

Well, you did ask. You got your replies.
You sound lovely and I hope your DS has a really brilliant party. flowers

theforceisstrong Fri 15-Jun-18 18:44:02

Never had his ever - and I have three kids - but never asked the parents either. The mums who are concerned halal etc will normally stay to check what the child is eating but provided you have cheese sandwiches as well as ham and crisps or pizza in addition to sausages you should pretty much cater for everyone anyway. Why did you ask?

UrsulaPandress Fri 15-Jun-18 18:46:21

I never asked. Eat it or don't.

iklboo Fri 15-Jun-18 18:48:05

I bet Little Timmy / Jemima will be scarfing Maccy D's out of the bin & chugging full sugar coke the minute they get chance. grin

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 15-Jun-18 18:49:46

Just buy a bag of organic carrots - meets all the dietary criteria?

greenlanes Fri 15-Jun-18 18:50:28

i would see if you can combine all of the dietary requests into 1 food type. It seems crazy to think of an hiring an external caterer and to be blunt many caterers and restaurants even struggle with vegetarian food.

So eg if you are doing ham sandwiches for most, then do houmous or cheese sandwiches on gluten free bread for the other.

The only time I have ever been asked to provide halal food was so the child could avoid all pork products. So vegetarian was fine.

I would not worry about the extra bits of party food - if the child cant eat them tough luck.

divadee Fri 15-Jun-18 18:50:54

Is this now a thing on invites? With my eldest (20) I never asked on invites. I now have a 1 year old and wouldn't of even thought of asking. Oh dear god it's never ending is it?

BlueBug45 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:51:17

OP hopefully the ridiculous mum asking for organic food at a child's party sees this thread.

user1484247439 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:51:46

My DD is allergic to milk, I just take a pack lunch.

Tell the stuck up parent to be in their own!!!

CF!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: