Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this isn’t normal

(12 Posts)
LoopyLou1981 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:45:23

Recently as I’ve been laying down to go to sleep at night. Horrible images of things happening to my dc flash into my head. They’re not dreams, I’m completely awake although mostly with my eyes shut.
Over the last few days the following have flashed up and the image keeps replaying so I can’t settle to sleep -
- out walking with dc and a dog comes up snarling and pulls one of the dc away
- we’re in a water park with a wave machine and I lose my grip on dc and can’t find them in the water
- we’re at a theme park and I turn round and they’ve both disappeared
- we’re walking up near a cliff and the wind catches them and pulls them over the edge
I don’t understand why it keeps happening and, I know it sounds stupid because it’s not real and dc are happily curled up in bed but it’s really starting to upset and bother me.
Any ideas?x

MoistCantaloupe Wed 13-Jun-18 22:47:10

Are you particular stressed at the moment OP? Or anxious about anything? It could be a new medication or something herbal you are taking to go to sleep?

Fruitcorner123 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:47:47

If it's upsetting you see a GP. Intrusive thoughts are surprisingly normal but if they are affecting you and causing anxiety it may mean that you need some support.

LoopyLou1981 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:51:16

I’ve had anxiety problems in the past but nothing that’s caused anything like this.
I’ve just had a coil fitted so I’m hoping it’s not that. I only just worked up the courage to have it fitted! I don’t want it coming back out any time soon!
I don’t understand why it’s bothering me so much. I know it’s not real and that my children are safe.
I’ve got a gp check with the coil in a few weeks. I’ll ask then. x

Notcontent Wed 13-Jun-18 22:57:20

Yes, these are intrusive thoughts and common. I think it’s normal to get them occasionally but too much can be a sign of anxiety or OCD.

Singlebutmarried Wed 13-Jun-18 23:07:37

A friend of mine had similar symptoms after having a coil fitted (I have a coil and no such symptoms). It’s very rare but it can happen. Friend had coil removed and back to normal in a couple of days.

Lizzie48 Wed 13-Jun-18 23:11:57

Intrusive thoughts, and images, are something I'm familiar with. In my case, they were connected with repressed memories of childhood trauma, I've suffered from complex PTSD. EMDR really helped and for the most part I don't suffer in that way now. Understanding the past was the key for me.

Obviously, I'm not saying this is the case for you, OP, there are all sorts of possible causes for intrusive thoughts and nightmares. But I buried the problem for many years, and just assumed I was going crazy and I was ashamed. Don't make that mistake, there is really nothing to be ashamed of. thanks

ShapelyBingoWing Wed 13-Jun-18 23:13:55

Yep, intrusive thoughts. And very common for those with anxiety and/or OCD. I have anxiety myself and it took years after DD was born to stop myself replaying an idea of me swinging her by the ankles and smacking her off the wall. It's absolutely horrible and if you're not coping with it you need to seek some help. flowers

TheBigFatMermaid Wed 13-Jun-18 23:14:19

A friend of mine had similar symptoms after having a coil fitted (I have a coil and no such symptoms). It’s very rare but it can happen. Friend had coil removed and back to normal in a couple of days.

I'm guessing your friend had the mirena coil and you had the copper coil. The mirena affected e in a similar way. 7

Similarly though, a long time after having the coil removed I still experienced this and put it down to anxiety and depression.

The GP will not accept the mirena is to blame, but will medicate A&D, so maybe try that first...

Fruitcorner123 Wed 13-Jun-18 23:17:32

I think there have been links noticed between hormonal contraception and mental health. I am not sure if any have been proven but having suffered from post natal depression I personally avoid hormonal contraception. I would suggest you see your GP if it's making you unhappy.

LoopyLou1981 Wed 13-Jun-18 23:19:20

Yes it’s the Mirena I’ve had fitted. Maybe it is that. I’ll see if it settles down. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks so I’d like to give it a chance.
Thank you to the people who shared experiences.xx

TiredLolo Wed 13-Jun-18 23:37:40

I've frequently had those thoughts about my children, very similar (if not worse, like my DS falling off a cliff or equivalently horrible things 🤤), same as you, when going to sleep. No coil though. I'm not sure of the pattern in terms of hormones or other, but I strongly suspect it happens when I'm feeling anxious or stressed in my life. I don't give it any more importance than just my brain is processing things and reminds me how much I love and worry about my kids.
Some of my friends I've spoken to also seem to experience that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: