Talk

Advanced search

to think it's not normal to leave washing up over night?

(308 Posts)
BigMamaTee Wed 13-Jun-18 22:12:21

Had to have words with DP tonight...

Can anyone please tell me if I'm being unreasonable or not in thinking that:

- surfaces should be wiped after use (not 3 days later)
- if you cook on the hob and get oil everywhere you should clean it (same day)
- you don't leave washing up overnight to get smelly and gross
- nor do you leave bits of food floating in the drain catcher in the sink when you can just put them straight in the bin
- it's not normal to do not one bit of cleaning in the week and to just mop a floor or give a surface a wipe on a Sunday

AIBU in expecting DP to do the above? I'm not a clean freak but I like the house to be clean. I'm torn between leaving his shit for him to do and it building up all week for him to half heartedly clean on the weekend, or to just clean it myself and be happy my house is clean but to want to nut him for being so lazy....

Barmaid101 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:13:46

We always leave it to the morning in our house! Life is too short to get worked up over it.

BigMamaTee Wed 13-Jun-18 22:14:34

barmaid but it doesn't get done in the morning, that's the problem. It will literally sit there all week until the weekend...

Butterflykissess Wed 13-Jun-18 22:15:05

- you don't leave washing up overnight to get smelly and gross

i dont get this?! mine takes 2-3 days to dry, does yours dry in hours?

BigMamaTee Wed 13-Jun-18 22:15:55

@Butterflykissess your washing up takes 2-3 days to dry? I'm confused...

MyOtherUsernameisaPun Wed 13-Jun-18 22:16:16

We often leave the dishes overnight and do them in the morning instead, I don't think that's odd. We do wipe surfaces after use generally and don't leave food in the sink but we might not always wipe the hob the same day - it depends what else is going on. I think a bit of flexibility is helpful for us.

Follyfoot Wed 13-Jun-18 22:16:34

I don't see anything wrong with leaving it overnight ether. . . . That list remind me of XH who used to time how long it took me to take a dirty mug back through to the kitchen.

Barmaid101 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:17:13

If it’s there a few days it’s there a few days! No different to it sitting in the dishwasher for 3-4 days waiting to fill the dishwasher up before running it.
I could no get uptight about this. As long as it gets done eventually does it matter when.

Butterflykissess Wed 13-Jun-18 22:18:05

haha just read it wrong! ive been on the wine washing up as in dishes not clothes.

ignore me.

gnarlington Wed 13-Jun-18 22:18:12

I'm with you on all points. I can't settle if the kitchen is a mess

Maryann1975 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:18:17

I used to leave it for days when I was in my early 20s (just left home). Now, 3dc later, I like the kitchen to be tidy before I go to bed, coming down to dishes doesn’t help the morning go smoothly. Sometimes on a Friday I will leave them out, but only if we have nothing planned for the Saturday morning.

BoyWithApple Wed 13-Jun-18 22:18:35

It’s not a matter of being reasonable/unreasonable - these are all personal preferences, nothing bad will happen if these things aren’t done apart from you getting annoyed. I do some of this (wiping surfaces) but not all (I may leave dishes overnight and I might not clean up hob spills immediately). You have differing priorities, you need to come to a compromise between you I’d say. One thing is for sure though - if you do it, he’ll let you do it forever more because he’s not bothered whether it’s done or not.

flamingofridays Wed 13-Jun-18 22:18:55

Yanbu. Everything gets washed up after tea.

Although if we have a brew or something I don't wash them up until the morning or the next evening depending if we are in or not.

Dermymc Wed 13-Jun-18 22:19:08

WTF you sound highly strung.

Fevertree Wed 13-Jun-18 22:19:48

I will leave washing up over night if the dishwasher is full. I've just put mine on and soaked a few leftover bits (2 pans, a few knives and spoons) in hot soapy water. I'll unload dishwasher in the morning and reload. I wipe surfaces same day but might not always wipe the hob the same day but within 2-3 days max.

Aridane Wed 13-Jun-18 22:20:06

I’m with your DH on 5is - sorry.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 13-Jun-18 22:20:09

I'm not normal, then! Far too many other things to worry about.. seriously, I'd love to be this wound up over washing up and nothing else!

AgentProvocateur Wed 13-Jun-18 22:20:17

I always leave the washing up till the next day. CBA doing it after dinner - we don’t usually eat till late.

BigMamaTee Wed 13-Jun-18 22:20:21

I honestly just thought it was normal to wipe surfaces after you use them and wash up a manky plate or bowl before you go to bed confused I've been doing this since I was 14! I hate having dirty plates sat there for days until DP decides to clean his mess on a Sunday. Maybe it's just me...

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 13-Jun-18 22:20:59

( I would not leave oil and spilt food though.. that's gross.. especially as flies around)

BigMamaTee Wed 13-Jun-18 22:21:09

We don't have a dishwasher we just end up with a huge pile of washing over flowing in the sink...

cariadlet Wed 13-Jun-18 22:21:23

The rule in our house is that one person cooks and the other one washes up. DP usually does it in the morning when it's his turn. I'll do it that evening or the following morning depending on how late we've eaten, how much work I need to do that night and how knackered I am.

I can't see the problem with leaving it until the next day as long as you do it before you go out to work in the morning. It's hardly going to get smelly overnight.

I do agree that surfaces should be wiped after use.

ErictheGuineaPig Wed 13-Jun-18 22:21:40

Yep. Friday night leaver of dishes here too. Week days/nights DH or I always makes sure the kitchen is clean. As maryann says, it just puts you on the back foot to have to sort it in the morning when dealing with the kids

Unfinishedkitchen Wed 13-Jun-18 22:23:20

YANBU. At all.

LouLouLove Wed 13-Jun-18 22:23:21

I would hate to come down to washing up in the morning. All washing up is done after eating and kitchen is wiped down including the hob. It would be really horrible to wake up to dirty plates, I love coming down to a nice clean kitchen. YANBU!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: