Talk

Advanced search

To want to tell Mums to adjust their baby carriers when they are too low?

(11 Posts)
SlinkyB Wed 13-Jun-18 19:50:44

I know I am being unreasonable, but it really bugs me when I see Mums with their newborns in a carrier down by their naval. There are a couple on the school run who do it, and I really wanna ask them do they know it's wrong and that for safety the person wearing the carrier should always be able to kiss the top of the baby's head? I know I'll just look like a massive twat if I do tho grin Today the baby looked uncomfortable and the head wasn't supported at all (was flopped back/neck arched).

DappledThings Wed 13-Jun-18 19:52:55

I often want to do this too but have never been brave enough.

You are definitely NBU for wanting to but you might BU for actually doing it!

Have you noticed it's always crappy Baby Bjorns as well?

Pumpkin314 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:56:52

Some mums might be carrying them low temporarily to feed them. I feed my baby in the carrier and being small of boob there's no possibility of hoiking boob to baby, baby has to be scooched down to boob level!

Thehop Wed 13-Jun-18 19:57:50

2 baby born navel wearers at my school too

IncyWincyMouseRat Wed 13-Jun-18 20:06:58

I once saw a lady with a baby in a Baby Björn in Boots once. I swear the baby couldn’t have been over 5lbs and she was so badly supported and just swinging around. I didn’t really feel I could say anything but I was internally mildly horrified.

SlinkyB Wed 13-Jun-18 20:34:54

The one I saw today definitely wasn't feeding, as I was chatting to the Mum. I see it all the time.

Tbh when I had my first child and borrowed a friend's baby bjorn thing I was so clueless. The bit that supported his head was folded down, so I had to hold his (3 months maybe?) head to support it. A librarian approached me and kindly showed me how to flip it up and clip it to the shoulders so it supported the back of his head blush I was really grateful.

That's the other thing I see a lot; the Mums holding the baby's head....isn't one of the main points of carriers that you are hands-free?!

tenbob Wed 13-Jun-18 20:39:40

I've got a (properly-fitted) Ergo but I always instinctively hold the back of DS's head, especially when he is sleeping
Plus I get to stroke his super soft hair

But yes, I also wince when I see badly-fitted carriers, and dangling legs in Baby Bjorns
And babies in carriers while parents smoke or vape sad

bubbleroad Wed 13-Jun-18 20:45:36

Baby facing outwards in a badly fitted carrier at navel level with legs dangling straight down. All the time.
I sort of hope that it will turn out that all the fuss I made about doing it 'properly' was unnecessary.

ChesterCake Wed 13-Jun-18 20:48:33

I’m always so tempted to say something to, I get the same feeling when I see photos on Facebook of children not strapped in anywhere near tight enough / with big winter coats on in car seats!

SlinkyB Wed 13-Jun-18 21:28:31

I might just print some of these out to hand to people wink

Mammyloveswine Thu 14-Jun-18 00:54:09

God I hate those baby Bjorn carriers... awful things!

I'm a ring sling girl and tbh I often get people who have no clue about ring slings trying to "help" when im putting baby in, pisses me right off as you end up losing the seat and the top rail gets folded over... bloody nightmare!

I try and start a "friendly" conversation about baby wearing and "drop in" how ifound the Bjorn uncomfortable..then people will agree and ask about ring sling (and I suggest a sling library) or otherwise they won't be drawn on the subject and get defensive so i don't bother persevering.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: