Talk

Advanced search

To skip feeding antenatal session

(12 Posts)
coffeeforone Wed 13-Jun-18 18:18:23

I'm 25 weeks pregnant have been booked on to a breastfeeding support group antenatal session at 32 weeks. I didn't ask to be booked on this, I just received a letter with the time and date.

It's a 1.5 hour session at midday on a weekday for both myself and DH to attend. We both work full time and DH has already taken his 2 slots for scans so this would need to be holiday for him.

We're 99% sure we'd like to formula feed from very early on, and don't really want to discuss breastfeeding. WIBU to cancel my slot so someone else can take my place at the group session? Would the midwives be ok about this? I haven't cancelled or changed any of the other appointments I've been given, it's just this one I'm thinking may be a waste.

silverpenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 18:21:08

YANBU at all. Sounds sensible to me. Maybe double check with your midwife at your next appointment just to reassure yourself you've got everything you need for formula feeding and are prepared for what you need to take in your hospital bag etc.

NoProbLlama78 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:21:25

Yanbu. You don't have to go. I went for all the health related appointments but no classes/group sessions.
If you change your mind about breast feeding ask for help after your baby is born. There is a website called kellymom I found useful.
They often dont help with bottle feeding so its worth looking into how to do that properly too.

GummyGoddess Wed 13-Jun-18 18:21:46

If you're sure you're not going to try breastfeeding then it will be a waste of time. I breastfed dc1 and am for dc2 but the session that my nct group did was ridiculous.

I was planning on ff from birth but then decided I'd give breastfeeding a go. I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time at the session as I did remember the information on positioning but the nonsense they spouted about breast milk was ridiculous.

0lgaDaPolga Wed 13-Jun-18 18:23:27

Not unreasonable at all. I had a bf session as part of my nct course and it was no help. I intended to bf but not much was mentioned about any issues i might have, just that you need to get the baby to latch on. It was really no help at all and I had complications when he was born so he was bottle fed from the start. If you are pretty sure you will be bottle feeding no point wasting your time and someone else can have the space

coffeeforone Wed 13-Jun-18 18:26:47

Thanks all! I'll check with the midwife about their requirements re taking formula to hospital, I was thinking those 'starter packs', and maybe the little plug in bottle warmer. DS1 was FF from pretty early on (but not from birth), so didn't take anything last time.

Winterfellismyhome Wed 13-Jun-18 18:27:46

I cancelled mine by phoning the maternity unit reception who usually make all my appointments. I didnt ask or tell my midwife. Better it was used by someone who wanted it.

Fruitcorner123 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:30:13

I would suggest you go but no need for your partner to go. Theres a 1% chance you will breastfeed and perhaps after you are better informed you might feel more equipped to give it a try even if just for the first few days of colostrum. You are entitled to this time off and I personally prefer to be as informed as possible. It's the first big decision you will make for your baby in its life. I just don't see what harm it can do.

anotherangel2 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:30:47

If you are planning on breast feeding at all then I would go. Work will give you time off for it.

theaveragewife Wed 13-Jun-18 18:31:44

YANBU, the hospital provided small bottles of milk when I had mine (within the last decade) they were sma gold. It didn’t agree with dc1 but fine with dc2 - I say this so you’re careful not to bulk buy before the baby is here!

If you do find they are good with one I would just buy tonnes of it, making up bottles is the last thing you want to do at 1,3,5 and 7am!!

Fruitcorner123 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:32:33

sorry coffee i've just read that this isn't your first baby and you have breastfed before. Obviously ignore me then. There won't be anything they tell you that you dont already know. although personally I would enjoy the time away from work!

littlemissalwaystired Wed 13-Jun-18 18:36:00

For the hospital just take plenty of those little ready made starter pack bottles. They don't need to be warmed up so I'd leave the bottle warmer behind. Best of luck with everythingsmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: