Talk

Advanced search

To ask for breast feeding advice?

(8 Posts)
Hamspamwich Wed 13-Jun-18 18:09:21

Baby is 12 days old. I managed 6 weeks feeding my little boy but struggled and eventually formula fed which was so much better for us.
I wanted to try again this time and DD has taken to it so much better and is alot easier to feed however has started to be quite sick after a long feed.
A normal feed for her will usually take no longer than 5 minutes and she has about 8 to 10 a day and I'm worried this isn't long enough? Should she be feeding for longer?
Everywhere says you can't over feed a breastfed baby but if she feeds for much more than 5 minutes she's sick and it's alot.
I worry about everything anyway and not seeing how much milk she's having is making me worry she's not having enough!
My health visitor is coming tomorrow so I'll ask her but would just like abit of advice from others on here.

Aibu to ask if your baby only fed for short amounts of time and was they ok?

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Wed 13-Jun-18 18:14:03

If she's satisfied after 5 minutes and having plenty of wet and dirty nappies, she's fine!

Dc1 was bf for 18 months, always a slow feeder. Dc2 is an incredibly fast feeder and can drain me dry in five minutes flat. He's 11 months now and massive, so it's clearly not doing him any harm! grin

Aria2015 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:29:23

She might have a very effective suck. My SIL only fed 10 - 15 mins per feed whereas my lo fed for about 45 minutes! As long as your lo seems satisfied and is having wet and dirty nappies as expected then it's fine. Your might just have got lucky! Five minutes done and dusted sounds like a dream!

Excited0803 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:37:48

It's hard to tell at this stage because babies and boobs are all different and it could be that she's just very efficient; if so then congratulations! If she gains weight well and doesn't have excess gas / colic then she's fine. If she isn't gaining enough and gets green instead of mustard yellow poo then she might not be feeding for long enough in each feed to get the thicker milk. The reason why could be having a bad latch so she gets tired (your health visitor might help, but also go to a breastfeeding meet-up locally for help), or excess wind (test this by winding her, waking her by naked skin-to-skin and putting her back on straight away), or tongue tie (find out about private appointments to fix this as NHS ones can take a long time to come through).

Fruitcorner123 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:41:12

They measure it by whether she is putting on weight and having dirty and wet nappies. Health visitor will weigh her tomorrow and she should be back up to birth weight. It sounds like you are doing fine. I get the measuring thing but honestly you do get used to not knowing. Other thing to look out for is her poo is it normal looking?

Do you offer the other side if she finished on one? I always did this when mine were little.

Excited0803 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:43:28

Forgot to mention that being sick can be from wind, but also could be reflux or cows milk protein allergy. If you wind a reflux baby, rub the back downwards instead of patting and you get less vomit; the GP might offer you gaviscon or ranitidine if the baby has reflux and is in distress. Reflux babies might need to be winded a few times mid-feed and put back on. CMPA is much more serious but rarer and you might need to give up dairy; look into it if she keeps being sick and gets in real distress.

IncyWincyMouseRat Wed 13-Jun-18 18:43:42

Is she back to her birthweight? Does she have at least 5 heavy wet nappies per day? If the answer to both of those is yes, she is getting plenty. You might have a really good let down and/or she might have a very effective latch. 8-10 feeds is perfect.

Ansumpasty Wed 13-Jun-18 18:49:56

Mine only fed for 5 mins. Baby was satisfied, my boob would be empty and turns out I just had a really fast milk flow. Just roll with it smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: