Talk

Advanced search

To be completely uninspired by this school dress up?!?

(20 Posts)
sarahbanshee Wed 13-Jun-18 15:44:31

DS is 9 (year 4) and his school has decided to hold a World Cup themed day tomorrow. The kids are wearing trainers and doing some football inspired games and activities, and the kids have been asked to wear football kit or costumes related to the World Cup or one of the countries playing.

I’m completely stumped. He is too old to have much “dressing up” stuff and he’s completely uninterested in football so doesn’t have an England strip or anything. I don’t want to put him in anything too home made because I know lots of the other boys will have the full England kit (or other country) and will laugh at him if he’s got some stuck on badge or something.

What can I do??? Any suggestions very welcome!

SparklySeashell Wed 13-Jun-18 15:46:29

It depends how far you want to go and how much time you have, there are loads of kids England/World Cup t-shirts in supermarkets for around £5 for an easy option...

BrownTurkey Wed 13-Jun-18 15:47:05

What does he want to wear? I would opt for plain white or red t-shirt and shorts or joggers. Many of the kids will be wearing similar I expect. You might be able to pick up some world cup tat in a local shop (a badge, a flag he can discard as the day goes on, a wristband or similar).

BottleOfJameson Wed 13-Jun-18 15:47:33

I would just put him in a track suit and maybe get a flat to wave or something? What does DS say he wants to wear?

BottleOfJameson Wed 13-Jun-18 15:47:41

*flag to wave

Sirzy Wed 13-Jun-18 15:48:24

Send him in his normal clothes as an English child

TrudeauGirl Wed 13-Jun-18 15:48:31

Hmm maybe borrow a football strip off a friend?

Or make him a little outfit with colours of a participating country such as Spain or Brazil. He'll stand out then and he won't be exactly the same as all the others in the same football kits :-)

On a side note I hate anything to do with football so i'd be uninspired too.

EggysMom Wed 13-Jun-18 15:49:27

Put him in a shirt and chino trousers, give him a homemade microphone to hold, and say that he's a football pundit or sports presenter!

DearMrDilkington Wed 13-Jun-18 15:51:38

I'd just put a whistle around his neck and get him to say his the ref.

TillyTheTiger Wed 13-Jun-18 15:52:13

Have a look at the flags of the countries that are participating and see if he has any clothes those colours. Like a white tshirt, blue shorts and red socks could be Russia?

Pascall Wed 13-Jun-18 15:54:30

Just get him a world cup t-shirt from your nearest supermarket. They're all selling them I think.

MerlinsScarf Wed 13-Jun-18 15:58:26

This theme would be a headache to organise in my family too, we're fairly good at dressing up ideas but as you say, when they're a bit older and some kids have proper kits it's hard to cobble something convincing.

Depending on budget/practicality, the likes of Sainsbury's have cheap World Cup tops, or else just a red (or whatever for alternative nation) regular t-shirt and trainers. Scour the house for anything Nike, Adidas and so on that he could throw on?

UterusUterusGhali Wed 13-Jun-18 16:05:14

I like the ref idea!

Or a prawn sarnie?
A suit with wads of money in the pockets as a football agent?
Put him in a giant coat and say he's a manager?

rainingcatsanddog Wed 13-Jun-18 16:05:53

H&am do football shirts for £3.99. Not official kit but cheap as chips.

PolkerrisBeach Wed 13-Jun-18 16:06:00

Look up the countries participating and send him wearing those colours of clothes.

Red, green, white = italy.
Orange = Netherlands
Green, gold = Australia
Yellow = Brazil
Red, white, blue = Russia or France

(No idea of whether those countries are participating in the World Cup but you get the general idea)

PolkerrisBeach Wed 13-Jun-18 16:07:38

Also in my experience, school will NOT be expecting people to be spending money, however little, on buying new stuff. Just use what you have. It will be fine.

eyycarumba Wed 13-Jun-18 16:18:24

Can you paint a flag on his face?

Knittedfairies Wed 13-Jun-18 16:21:32

Flag of St.George?

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 13-Jun-18 17:04:53

Jeans a tshirt, a football supporter?

sarahbanshee Wed 13-Jun-18 21:42:14

Thanks for the great suggestions! Didn’t have time to get to the shops (and grumpily uninclined to spend money anyway 😆) but I found some fabric pens so have drawn a Red Cross on an old white tshirt which he seems happy with. Hope the ideas inspire other people too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: